SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 20, 2024 at 11:38 PM Post #14,176 of 15,987
it’s always a fine line between having detail and getting glare. Sensory sensation will likely vary from people to people, some people would be more sensitive to certain frequencies or sounds.

For my setup, vocals are really shining out now. More detail, more nuances and better refinement, very emotive to listen. Great improvement to music immersion, listening to music on the Walkman is like teleportation to another dimension, and yup I am not being sarcastic nor crazy.
+1
I am enjoying the way music is more emotive with DSEE Ultimate. It reminds me of my tube amp based home setup.
Previously, I had done comparisons, and stayed with Direct mode.

Feb 20, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #14,177 of 15,987
Bit-perfect be damned, I don't listen to Walkman without Sound adjustment functionality provided by Sony.

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:58 AM Post #14,178 of 15,987
Bit-perfect be damned, I don't listen to Walkman without Sound adjustment functionality provided by Sony.
Bit perfect doesn’t mean the recording is real life perfect. There are still inherent limitations, degradation that occurs during the recording process like the microphone pickup, the analog to digital conversion process, the conversion from studio masters down to commercial distribution formats.

I think Sony is aiming for their DSEE to match the real life sound that is heard at the studio before it was electronically recorded by the microphone, see the parts in bold:

https://kakakumag.com/av-kaden/?id=20326
"In "DSEE HX", as mentioned above, the number is not disclosed, but it has some characteristic patterns of the treble range and performs the best upscaling process for the input sound source. On the other hand, "DSEE Extreme" makes full use of AI's deep neural network (DNN) technology to create a number of spectral envelopes (envelopes), that is, countless patterns of amplitudes according to the input audio signal. I'll predict. We will supplement and optimize the lost components while finely analyzing and predicting different sounds depending on how the instrument is played and the vocal microphone (microphone setting)."

"DSEE Ultimate" is a technology that was first installed in the smartphone "Xperia" and later deployed in a streaming-enabled Walkman. The difference from "DSEE Extreme" is that it performs extended processing not only for sampling frequency but also for bit depth.

Feb 21, 2024 at 1:32 AM Post #14,180 of 15,987
+1
I am enjoying the way music is more emotive with DSEE Ultimate. It reminds me of my tube amp based home setup.
Previously, I had done comparisons, and stayed with Direct mode.
The dynamics enhancement seems to be even better tuned in this 1.08 DSEE Ultimate. Drum beats feels really nice, very deep sounding and tightly impactful. Special music coloration magic by Sony done right. And you don’t have to buy replacement tubes for it.

Feb 21, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #14,182 of 15,987
I can't seem to be able to update to 1.08 on my 1am2

Screen remains on "executing update' , bar remains 0% forever

Even after Reset ("Erase all data") same issue .
Is your Walkman sufficiently charged up and plugged into a charger?

Feb 21, 2024 at 2:14 AM Post #14,183 of 15,987
Hey peeps, does anybody know anything about flashing the NW-WM1ZM2 firmware onto NW-WM1AM2?

I heard that trick makes them basically sound the same

Feb 21, 2024 at 2:42 AM Post #14,185 of 15,987
@Sonywalkmanuser 100% charged and plugged
( and won't even allow entering update without pluggin in power so .. )
Also do you have sufficient free space on your internal storage of your Walkman?

You can try updating the firmware via Pc using music centre software.
https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/support/articles/MC4PC020001

If the above still doesn’t work then you might have to try downloading the firmware file into the Walkman internal storage root directory. Sorry I don’t know how to generate the link for the firmware file. I am sure someone here knows how to get the link.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back