SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 21, 2024 at 3:38 AM Post #14,194 of 15,987
I am sure I will overcome this with alternative updates methods, anyhow I wonder what it might be preventing OTA ( first time on different 1zm2/1am2 units, that happens to me )
To be stuck at 0%, I am guessing it could be a corrupted download. Maybe your regional Sony data centre storing the update file could be corrupted at the source?

Anyway this kind of things do happen. Not surprised. Try other methods to update. Best is to get the firmware file and update via usb file transfer to internal storage.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 3:48 AM Post #14,195 of 15,987
Sidenote and completely unrelated :

I've been using Qobuz on 1am2 ( debloated and with minimal launchers on 😎 and down to 20secs power on time if not less ) along last 3 months.

Couple of things i have to say , not a particular order

- battery drains quite faster then with local storage , but not down to drama at all, even with eq/dsee/classA consistenly enabled through battery runtime remains more then decent

- the 1am2 (100% debloated or so besides Playstore/services on) performed like a champ : fast, easy, navigable, never missed a beat

- Qobuz , better sq then Tidal as for my ears in months of listenings and comparing them , have a main cap and some users complain:
while raw offer for sq is very high and better then other music servcies , again my ears , on different system/platforms it doesn't allow eq options..so you are stuck on direct feed ( not bad at all btw 🤔) or have to run III parties software and servers to eq sound ; and that would be never bitperfect , or so ; and many still would not work , I tried them .
With Sony 1am2 and 1zm2 , after enabling the hi-res streaming function 🌱 , you can apply whatever DSP or EQ on Qobuz ....., and not only it will work flawlessly , it will do wonders eventually when needed ( i.e. think of applying Vynil to multiple modern jazz tracks and discoveries from time to time , which are already hi-res and superb recordings - i feel it as a 'super option' and dig it.. ), on an already stellar sq.

- to the point , that I dare to say , while the sound of Qobuz streaming files and the sound of Sony Music app running local files are different, I can't say which one is better ( as always depending on moods genres etc ) ..but I found myself opening Qobuz the most lately even for hires files I could play locally , without any need to switch; and not just for convenience , many already know here I am die hard sensitive to audio sq

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 3:49 AM Post #14,196 of 15,987
To be stuck at 0%, I am guessing it could be a corrupted download. Maybe your regional Sony data centre storing the update file could be corrupted at the source?

Anyway this kind of things do happen. Not surprised. Try other methods to update. Best is to get the firmware file and update via usb file transfer to internal storage.
I will do today in fact..👌👌

Feb 21, 2024 at 4:07 AM Post #14,197 of 15,987
Sidenote and completely unrelated :

I've been using Qobuz on 1am2 ( debloated and with minimal launchers on 😎 and down to 20secs power on time if not less ) along last 3 months.

Couple of things i have to say , not a particular order

- battery drains quite faster then with local storage , but not down to drama at all, even with eq/dsee/classA consistenly enabled through battery runtime remains more then decent

- the 1am2 (100% debloated or so besides Playstore/services on) performed like a champ : fast, easy, navigable, never missed a beat

- Qobuz , better sq then Tidal as for my ears in months of listenings and comparing them , have a main hi-end users short or complain:
while raw offer for sq is very high and better then other music servcies , again my ears , on different system/platforms it doesn't allow eq options..so you are stuck on direct feed ( not bad at all btw 🤔) or have to run III parties software and servers to eq sound , never bitperfect or so ; and many still would not work , I tried them .
With Sony 1am2 and 1zm2 , after enabling the hi-res streaming function 🌱 , you can apply whatever DSP or EQ on Qobuz ....., and not only it will work flawlessly , it will do wonders eventually when needed ( i.e. think of applying Vynil to multiple modern jazz tracks and discoveries from time to time is such a 'super option' ), on an already stellar sq.

- to the point , that I dare to say , while the sound of Qobuz streaming files and Sony Music app local files is different, I can't say which one is better ( as always depending on moods genres etc ) ..but I found myself opening Qobuz the most lately even for hires files I could play locally , without any need to switch; and not just for convenience , many already know here I am die hard sensitive to audio sq
Given how good the processing with DSEE Ultimate on fw1.08 sounds, I am not sure if it is necessary to use 3rd party software for EQ or other sound processing at all. In my opinion, I rather let the experienced and distinguished Sony researchers and audio engineers with their actual field experience in studio sound recording and AI R&D process my music over any other “amateur” grade programmers out there.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #14,198 of 15,987
I am always applying eq though, depending on iems/genres etc or at least need that option

to me is essential , I am sure many users apply it here and there too

But...I look forward hearing the DSEE improvements on fw 1.08, of course.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 4:26 AM Post #14,199 of 15,987
I.e. I like the bass on 1am2 , I find it relaxing and tailored for long listenings ; but bass performance is far from cement-solid ( and more on the diffused field of it ), there's not that dramatic or palpable presence that sometimes is intended in the mix, or is not as controlled as in other setups , that's where i.e. i use some bass shelf or try some tightening with eq

Feb 21, 2024 at 4:47 AM Post #14,200 of 15,987
I.e. I like the bass on 1am2 , I find it relaxing and tailored for long listenings ; but bass performance is far from cement-solid ( and more on the diffused field of it ), there's not that dramatic or palpable presence that sometimes is intended in the mix, or is not as controlled as in other setups , that's where i.e. i use some bass shelf or try some tightening with eq
According to Sony designers of the WF-XM5, frequency balance and bass preferences is dependent on music genre and age, thus tuning this aspect of the sound is a difficult balancing act.

https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/headphone/230726_01/?s_pid=jp_/headphone/_products_WF-1000XM5

Can you also tell me about the sound quality tuning to bring out the potential of those excellent hardware?​

Kikuchi: This time, we put a lot of effort into sound quality tuning to realize "high sound quality that does not depend on genre" that we are pursuing as a series. Specifically, we design sound quality using a wide range of sound sources from remastered old records to the latest sound sources in 2023. The characteristics of the song, such as frequency balance and processing of bass aftertaste, vary depending on the music genre and age, so it was very difficult to finish the sound so that it could correspond to all kinds of sound sources and songs.

In addition, Sony is conducting activities to listen to music production studios and dig deep into sound quality trends and music trends favored by customers worldwide, and know-how from the voice of the production site to the customer's interest in music has been accumulated. It is. I think that we were able to achieve a good balance by considering and designing them.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 4:50 AM Post #14,201 of 15,987
I can't seem to be able to update to 1.08 on my 1am2

Screen remains on "executing update' , bar remains 0% forever

Even after Reset ("Erase all data") same issue .
you can download it on the homepage and do it offline

Feb 21, 2024 at 4:56 AM Post #14,203 of 15,987
According to Sony designers of the WF-XM5, frequency balance and bass preferences is dependent on music genre and age, thus tuning this aspect of the sound is a difficult balancing act.

https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/headphone/230726_01/?s_pid=jp_/headphone/_products_WF-1000XM5

Can you also tell me about the sound quality tuning to bring out the potential of those excellent hardware?​

Kikuchi: This time, we put a lot of effort into sound quality tuning to realize "high sound quality that does not depend on genre" that we are pursuing as a series. Specifically, we design sound quality using a wide range of sound sources from remastered old records to the latest sound sources in 2023. The characteristics of the song, such as frequency balance and processing of bass aftertaste, vary depending on the music genre and age, so it was very difficult to finish the sound so that it could correspond to all kinds of sound sources and songs.

In addition, Sony is conducting activities to listen to music production studios and dig deep into sound quality trends and music trends favored by customers worldwide, and know-how from the voice of the production site to the customer's interest in music has been accumulated. It is. I think that we were able to achieve a good balance by considering and designing them.
Definitely can relate to this 110%

also i know for a reason that better control in frqs reproduction ( bass in particular ) is reached with implementing power ( and a good source of power of course )
Among things

Feb 21, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #14,204 of 15,987
Definitely can relate to this 110%

also i know for a reason that better control in frqs reproduction ( bass in particular ) is reached with implementing power ( and a good source of power of course )
Among things
Power supply design of the Walkman is crucial for good bass response. You can push the EQ to increase the bass output but if the amplifier isn’t able to deliver the power reserves required for deep bass then there’s only so much that EQ can do.

Feb 21, 2024 at 5:23 AM Post #14,205 of 15,987
Also I would suggest for those on 1.08 to once again experiment with tuning this Walkman music app Settings: Filtering during DSD Playback

Although this setting description is for DSD playback, this filtering seems to affect pcm playback as well.

Sharp roll off sounds brighter, less decay to my ears, so pick one that works best for your ears.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back