SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 15, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #14,086 of 15,749
Feb 15, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #14,088 of 15,749
While it's not the killer, I would have appreciated an update since the other devices got it. If this is the abandoned version, then I'll also abandon Sony. Because that means I got the abandoned version if that makes sense, and it leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. I guess that 400-dollar warranty could be handy after all....

Feb 15, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #14,089 of 15,749
Do Walkmans get android updates? I thought they did not
Most didn't, but the most recent ones (A306 and ZX707) did late last year. They went from Android 12 to 13. I think those use newer chipsets than the ones in the 1AM2 and 1ZM2, and I recall that Android support is highly dependent on the chipset due to the lack of standardization in the Arm hardware ecosystem.

Feb 15, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #14,090 of 15,749
Most didn't, but the most recent ones (A306 and ZX707) did late last year. They went from Android 12 to 13. I think those use newer chipsets than the ones in the 1AM2 and 1ZM2, and I recall that Android support is highly dependent on the chipset due to the lack of standardization in the Arm hardware ecosystem.
If it’s an Android device support issue - how was it installed in the first place? Backwards compatibility is more common then forward compatibility…

Feb 15, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #14,091 of 15,749
If it’s an Android device support issue - how was it installed in the first place? Backwards compatibility is more common then forward compatibility…
Do you think an older Android model would bother you?

I say if it is important to have a more recent system, but I think what it is made for does not affect in the slightest, unless it is a very old Android model and the apps you use are no longer compatible.

Feb 15, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #14,092 of 15,749
Do you think an older Android model would bother you?

I say if it is important to have a more recent system, but I think what it is made for does not affect in the slightest, unless it is a very old Android model and the apps you use are no longer compatible.
With the intro of Bitperfect I would wager that the music apps will only support so far back at some point.

Feb 15, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #14,093 of 15,749
With the intro of Bitperfect I would wager that the music apps will only support so far back at some point.
That's right, but if Chinese systems with Android 7 are still working with the apps that are most frequently used for music, I don't think that in the short term we will be behind in this section, and if this happens the system will continue to work for local playback.

Feb 15, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #14,094 of 15,749
I'm not sure where your confusion lies. The 1A/ZM2 run Android 11 on their chipsets. Android 12 must be backported to that chipset, because of how the Arm hardware ecosystem is very vendor dependent. The BSP (board support package) and drivers that allow Android to run on a chipset are basically per-Android version, so you have to create a new BSP to get Android 12 to run on that chipset, and creating the BSP is up to the vendor (which I believe is NXP for the Walkmans). Sony adds their own functions on top of Android, but they aren't the CPU vendor, and if the CPU vendor doesn't want to write the BSP to make Android 12 work on a chipset, then Sony is out of luck.

Now, Google realizes that this is a problem, so they made a whole bunch of efforts to separate the Android version from the BSP and make it easier for old devices to update to newer Android versions. But I recall that the biggest advancements in that area were done in Android 12. I suspect that's why was easier for the newer Walkmans to get Android 13.

Feb 15, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #14,095 of 15,749
I'm not sure where your confusion lies. The 1A/ZM2 run Android 11 on their chipsets. Android 12 must be backported to that chipset, because of how the Arm hardware ecosystem is very vendor dependent. The BSP (board support package) and drivers that allow Android to run on a chipset are basically per-Android version, so you have to create a new BSP to get Android 12 to run on that chipset, and creating the BSP is up to the vendor (which I believe is NXP for the Walkmans). Sony adds their own functions on top of Android, but they aren't the CPU vendor, and if the CPU vendor doesn't want to write the BSP to make Android 12 work on a chipset, then Sony is out of luck.

Now, Google realizes that this is a problem, so they made a whole bunch of efforts to separate the Android version from the BSP and make it easier for old devices to update to newer Android versions. But I recall that the biggest advancements in that area were done in Android 12. I suspect that's why was easier for the newer Walkmans to get Android 13.
I guess this is why the iOS ecosystem is better - that was a good write up and explanation thank you!

Feb 15, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #14,096 of 15,749
Ah, from this blog post, the new A306 and ZX707 Walkmans use a Qualcomm CPU instead of the NXP/Freescale CPUs on the older Walkmans. That's probably a big part of why they get newer Android versions while the higher-end 1A/ZM2 don't (which I agree is odd and unfair). NXP generally makes CPUs for embedded and automotive applications, which generally don't get updates, so they probably aren't going to write a new BSP to port Android 12 to an existing chip, especially if no other customers of that chip want/need it.

But running CPU-Z on my ZX707 shows a Qualcomm Snapdragon 665, which is a pretty common consumer chipset. Qualcomm chips are used in a lot of smartphones and other consumer electronic devices and presumably a closer working relationship with Google (the main Android developer), so they are far more likely to write the new BSPs for porting newer Android versions to existing devices.

Feb 15, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #14,097 of 15,749
Not gonna lie, I’m quite mind boggled that I’ve gotten almost no bites on my WM1AM2 on the board. Folks are so oblivious to what they’re missing. Almost feel bad..

Feb 16, 2024 at 5:40 AM Post #14,098 of 15,749
I am currently owning three Sony Walkmans, ZX2, ZX507 and WM1AM2, none of them have dead pixels
I ve got 4 Sony Daps 2 of them from retail/online, no dead pixels
Not gonna lie, I’m quite mind boggled that I’ve gotten almost no bites on my WM1AM2 on the board. Folks are so oblivious to what they’re missing. Almost feel bad..
There ' s heat waves on classifieds on head-fi as well as elsewhere, other then hype waves.

+ I noticed February is a cold period for buying and shopping extras in general .
Buyings come quite in rushes , and when it's not the rush time they quite lags..

Feb 16, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #14,099 of 15,749
Market is bad in general. I sold my 800s for only $750 the other day and had to wait for an year to sold one of my DAC

Feb 16, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #14,100 of 15,749
I'm of the belief that DSD processing of Sony is heavily filtered out. It makes great for long term listening, but I've formed the view that for me, I much prefer DSEE AI over DSD mastering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back