SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 3, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #14,026 of 15,721
Seems not according to the manual? https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwwm1m2/v1/en/contents/TP1000465666.html

Using the High-Res streaming function​

You can enjoy music streaming from online music services in high sound quality.
  1. Swipe the [WALKMAN Home] screen upwards.
  2. Tap the menu items in the following order.
    c_android_settings_label.png
    [Settings] - [Sound] - [High-Res streaming].
  3. Tap the switch to turn on the [High-Res streaming] function.
    Music streamed using apps other than “Music player”is played in the following quality.
    • [Use High-Res streaming] is on:
      Up-converted playback at 192 kHz/32 bit
    • [Use High-Res streaming] is off:
      Down-converted playback at 48 kHz/16 bit
You are right, the manual says it has no effect on the Sony music player.
Users do report there is a difference, though any difference would not be enough to account for the volume difference you are hearing.

Feb 3, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #14,027 of 15,721
Ll
I don't have them on hand.. but will check next time I swing by.. IIRC, the Direct Sound mode was on for both.

Have you had the side by side? I mean, if someone who has both side by side can say for sure it should be the same loudness for the same volume setting, I guess there was something off on the 1AM2 demo unit
I have compared the DMP-Z1, WM1ZM2, WM1AM2 side by side before. All of them demo units at Sony Wisma Atria Singapore. That was during Covid.

I would recall that the WM1ZM2 and WM1AM2 sounded very similar in terms of loudness at the same volume settings. It’s just that there is a noticeable difference in the bass delivery where the Z model has a more deeper kind of rumbling bass while the A has a more tactile kind of bass.

What I felt was that in terms of Dynamics. The DMP-Z1 is still the most powerful and fastest out of the 3. Both the Z and A is not far behind the DMP. This was comparing using a very easy to drive IER-M9 balanced.

One area where I felt that the Z and A outperform the DMP is in the soundstaging department. The DMP has a wide front soundstage but the Z and A both are able to reproduce more soundstage height.

If you ask me I would say that the Z model has a very unique lingering tone that is not so present in the other Aluminium bodied Walkman models like the DMP, 1A, ZX507 and ZX2. I would feel that the lingering tone sounds really nice on piano. But I felt that this extended lingering tone is over-exaggerating sounds, which might not be as close to real world sounds(which doesn’t linger that much) that we hear daily.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #14,028 of 15,721
Users do report there is a difference, though any difference would not be enough to account for the volume difference you are hearing.
How do you account for the battery life differences between high res streaming mode on vs off while using Sony Music Player.

Logically speaking, If there is nothing(no hidden sound processing) going, then the Sony Music Player should be able to provide the same playback time on battery while using high-res streaming mode ON(vs Off). But as owners of the M2 will know once you switch on high res streaming mode, the drop in battery operating time can be felt even if you are just using Sony Music Player with offline files in direct source mode.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #14,029 of 15,721
What I felt was that in terms of Dynamics. The DMP-Z1 is still the most powerful and fastest out of the 3. Both the Z and A is not far behind the DMP. This was comparing using a very easy to drive IER-M9 balanced.

Wait, wait... the same set of perfect ears that hears clear differences between top-tier SD cards thinks that the 1AM2 is not far behind the DMP?

Apologies, just having a bit of fun with that. I respect your expertise and been following your optimization guide.

It goes to show how differently we all hear. I really like my 1AM2 as the DAP it is, but the DMP for me is many levels above. Never heard the Z.

Feb 3, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #14,030 of 15,721
Sorry I have to double quote you to clarify a point, my previous post is about accounting for the battery life differences. While this post will be one that agrees with you on the sound differences of high res streaming ON vs OFF not making a huge volume difference.

The sound differences between high res streaming on and off has more to do with the spatial reproduction side of things. When it is switched off, it has a more stereo speaker like presentation. High res streaming ON feels more surround like which can make things more distant and slightly delayed(less immediacy).

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #14,031 of 15,721
Wait, wait... the same set of perfect ears that hears clear differences between top-tier SD cards thinks that the 1AM2 is not far behind the DMP?

Apologies, just having a bit of fun with that. I respect your expertise and been following your optimization guide.

It goes to show how differently we all hear. I really like my 1AM2 as the DAP it is, but the DMP for me is many levels above. Never heard the Z.
You have to consider that I am hearing demo units in a public Sony store. Maybe the environment could have also play a part. The ier-m9 might not be able to reveal ther DMP-Z1 full potential too. To me I just felt that the M2 Walkman was punching well above its weight when compared to the SGD$10000 DMP-Z1, the dynamics of the M2 is already so awesome in my books, as I was coming from my ZX507 at point in time.

Feb 3, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #14,032 of 15,721
Also I would like to highlight a point for those wanting to try out Sony Walkmans for the first time:

Some demo units might just be a poor representation of the android Walkman final sound quality potential. Especially if you are not familiar with Sony Walkmans inner workings. There are many aspects which can affect how the demo units sounds.

There could be a lot of bloatware on the demo units and also the EQ and other obscure sound settings could be set up wrongly or for another users preference, if you are not able to reset or check everything that affects sound, you can end up with a flawed perspective of the Walkman’s actual sound and UI performance. I am not saying that you should not use demo units for evaluation but to be aware of this potential variance/issue.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #14,033 of 15,721
Sorry friends, ignore my post about volume difference. I went to a different Sony Store and this time I reset all sound adjustments including Hi-Res Streaming, made sure Direct Source was on, same -3dB offset, etc. Finally, the loudness is exactly the same for a given volume, yay!

Now I'm back to Square One on deciding between them ugh.. Yes I hear the "organic, slightly longer bass decay" on ZM2.. but honestly, I'm sure I can't tell it in an A/B. But the gold bling bling is so pretty!! I'm keeping the DX320X DAP already so probably will go with ZM2 for the "Sony House Sound"

Side note: I demoed the MDR-Z1R and gosh the spike at 3-4KHz really killed it for me.. quite piercing on the Kpop tracks I tested. However, the bass.. oof.. the bass was so enveloping and booming, reminds me of the Denon D7000 from last decade (ahh the memories).. :L3000: At $1.5k, it's a pass for me.

Attachments

• IMG_7668.JPG
    IMG_7668.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
Feb 4, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #14,034 of 15,721
Still debating whether to proceed with a crazy mod directly soldering IEM cable onto the Sony DAP. I am suuuper curious but it's a big gamble if I would even like the sound, but I would just have to accept and report whatever the result is and suffer if it doesn't go as planned. I could also potentially unlock something great! And because the cable and DAP will be stuck together, that will discourage me from trying other DAPs and cables lol. Thanks @ttt123 and @Whitigir for helping.

Has anyone here ever ordered a spare 4.4 socket board? That will have to be sacrificed with the said mod so I will need to get that spare part at some point in the future.

Feb 4, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #14,035 of 15,721
Still debating whether to proceed with a crazy mod directly soldering IEM cable onto the Sony DAP. I am suuuper curious but it's a big gamble if I would even like the sound, but I would just have to accept and report whatever the result is and suffer if it doesn't go as planned. I could also potentially unlock something great! And because the cable and DAP will be stuck together, that will discourage me from trying other DAPs and cables lol. Thanks @ttt123 and @Whitigir for helping.

Has anyone here ever ordered a spare 4.4 socket board? That will have to be sacrificed with the said mod so I will need to get that spare part at some point in the future.
Do it.

Feb 5, 2024 at 5:03 AM Post #14,036 of 15,721

Are you nuts? Don't you run the risk of f*^€$#g up the DAP? Presumably this would be irreversible?

Feb 5, 2024 at 6:54 AM Post #14,037 of 15,721

Sounds crazy, the most because synergy plays a great part in sound so..cable swap and changing iems in pairings and chains are relevant..

You' ll be stuck whatever the result

Feb 5, 2024 at 7:19 AM Post #14,038 of 15,721
Sounds crazy, the most because synergy plays a great part in sound so..cable swap and changing iems in pairings and chains are relevant..

Yes, I would honestly advise against it as well. At this point, the gain is negligible vs the compromises. If one would have gone this far, I would actually recommend stacking up with an external Amp or DAC/Amp combo for more scaling factors vs compromises of convenience

Feb 5, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #14,039 of 15,721
Are you nuts? Don't you run the risk of f*^€$#g up the DAP? Presumably this would be irreversible?
Wiring mod has been done by some people with very positive results and posted here. Not direct iem cable solder but same concept and they know what they're doing. In theory getting rid of any "adapter" which includes the jack and socket should produce improved sound. In practice people have done it with more stationary devices like speakers, again with very positive results. I've also used various adapters and never had I encountered zero sound degrade. I've even gotten two of the same cables but one with interchangeable. I was really hoping there won't be any audible difference, but there was :frowning2:

I'm not doing it myself but someone very experienced with modding. It will be reversible as long as I find a spare 4.4 socket which is a separate board by itself.

But yes, I'm nuts :grin: sounds fun though, may provide valuable info, and prevent me digging multiple deep holes down the rabbit hole. Maybe this would be the one jackpot.

And if it's not the jackpot, welp I'm stuck with it but that's good since this would prevent me from any further DAP and cable switching haha

Yes, I would honestly advise against it as well. At this point, the gain is negligible vs the compromises. If one would have gone this far, I would actually recommend stacking up with an external Amp or DAC/Amp combo for more scaling factors vs compromises of convenience
I've tried a portable amp yesterday and despite whatever setting combination I've tried overall it didn't sound any better than just directly connecting to the DAP. Though I don't think it's top of the line amp. I could see use with external amp if dac/amp doesn't have enough to properly power a headphones but is it really needed for IEMs?

DAP, cable, IEM, etc switching is big part of this hobby. Personal problem is I can get obsessed (as shown with my mad curiosity and desire to do this mod lol) but direct cable mod will give me peace and a prison where I could no longer swap and prevent me from endless search. I mean I could just buy another DAP and cable but I can settle with the result and accept it as my end game.

Hmm what if the result is actually not negligible then we post the result so now we'd have even more people in pursuit of ultimate sound getting into this mad mod dilemma... 😲 or perhaps @Whitigir knows this already and is saving us 🤯

Users who are viewing this thread

Back