SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Dec 30, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #13,576 of 15,612
When u try ak se300 . U know the meaning of slow ....
I have tried the AK120, using the volume dial to adjust volume has quite a noticeable input lag. Sometime it feels like the volume dial is not working as the GUI seems to be lagging behind with providing you with the graphical volume number update.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #13,582 of 15,612
Comparing the Wm1zm2to the Wm1z, the scanning is significantly faster. Not sure but I don't think it actually scans the whole library anymore on boot up?
On the 1st gen WM1A/Z, the DB scan would be longer on the first scan. Subsequent scans were much shorter. Believe that if there are no additions/deletions to the music library, the DAP has a record of this, and does a simpler and faster scan. Most people leave the Sony on standby, and do not bother to shut it off, as the battery consumption on standby is very low, and the battery life is excellent (unlike most other DAPS). So the DB scanning speed is not an issue, if the DAP is not powered off. People have left the Sony on continuously for months/years, with no issues.

The 2nd generation must also follow the same DB scanning methodology. A detailed, and longer scan for the initial, or after any changes to the DB. A shorter scan on subsequent scans, when no changes have been made to the library.

Jan 2, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #13,584 of 15,612
Hello everyone
I have a question, is it worth upgrading Sony 707 to Sony WM1AM2
I have headphones, fiio fh9, fd7, Andromeda, senheser ie900
Will it work with these headphones?
or just buy sony ier zr1
The IER-Z1R is a very cool and unique earphone, but an very special.

You should probably consider the IER-M9 first before buying the IER-Z1R. The IER-Z1R could cause you fitting/comfort issues and the Sound Signature is very V-Shaped/Fun vs. the IER-M9 is tuned for highest possible sound quality/sonic performance, is much more comfortable and has isolation.

The IER-Z1R and IER-M9 have been made by the same person but are different in Design. The IER-Z1R is an 3-way System with 2DD+1BA while the IER-M9 is an 5-way System with 5BA

But unrelated to that, the WM1AM2 is an upgrade, especially if you use high quality Earphones with 4.4mm. So with the Andromeda or the IER-M9 you will be able to hear an difference.

The FH9 maybe too, but the difference with the FD7 or IE900 will be significantly smaller.

Jan 2, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #13,587 of 15,612
Hello everyone
I have a question, is it worth upgrading Sony 707 to Sony WM1AM2
I have headphones, fiio fh9, fd7, Andromeda, senheser ie900
Will it work with these headphones?
or just buy sony ier zr1
Totally yes. Worth the upgrade.

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #13,589 of 15,612
Well, I went DAP-crazy over the holidays and picked up the WM1AM2 along with the Astell&Kern SP2000T and A&K SR35 (for portable) use. Oh, I picked up a Fiio M11Plus too about a month earlier (I love different sound signatures).

The SP2000T is superb with its hybrid tube amp, but I think right now the Sony is winning out of them. There's just something about its slight warmth in sound that speaks to me, yet still possessing outstanding instrument separation, a good wide soundstage (depending on the IEMs or headphones used), visceral deep bass, and great clarity! I have it on the Vinyl (phono) setting and I am just lost in the music. I listen to mainly jazz, then classic R&B, classic rock, Gospel, blues, house, and neo-soul (very little classical and country). Oh, the high gain does indeed work on the American version of this Sony DAP. I still have more listening and burn-in to do before reporting back with more details.

Jan 6, 2024 at 5:16 AM Post #13,590 of 15,612
Owner of a WM1A since several years, I have been considering the purchase of a new DAP offering more modern hardware features. Unfortunately as a big fan of classical music there are very few DAPs which are able to sort the collection of tracks by composer, a key feature for this music genre. Certainly Astell &Kern and Fiio don't have this when I checked. So, back to Sony which has the needed interface.
But there is something which is bothering me for devices of that price category. The WM1A I have is made in Malaysia, but the new models are now made in China? Does this not bother anybody? For about USD3'500 for a WM1ZM2 I would expect a "made in Japan" engraving or anything close to that. It's like buying a Swiss watch marked "made in China". Would you buy it?
I know what Apple does, but I have no ambitions to buy a gold plated iPhone at this point!
Any comments about that are very welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back