SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Dec 19, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #13,534 of 15,608
yes. i swear the demo unit was juiced up! can anyone here confidently say their unit is snappy and responsive?
How will they juice up a demo unit ?

Dec 19, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #13,535 of 15,608
No, if you scroll down a long list of tracks, the 1AM2 cannot be called "snappy", even debloated and in perfect condition. I say this seeing how much faster the scroll is something like my DMP-Z1 (non-Android) or my Xperia 1V (Android). But it's not horrible either.

Maybe the demo unit was a newer unit and they've done some silent update to the chip?

Dec 19, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #13,536 of 15,608
yes. i swear the demo unit was juiced up! can anyone here confidently say their unit is snappy and responsive?
It is a bit strange. I'll see how fast or slow mine is. I bought it at Sony in Kuala Lumpur at the end of November and will pick up the AM 2 on January 8th. I was already thinking whether I had perhaps made a mistake and would have been better off taking the ZX707 at the moment. And it would have been better to wait for the successor to AM2. But who knows how many years I would have to wait. But I think the AM 2 isn't as slow as the Shanling M8 I had last time. So for me it will be fast!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :beerchug:

Dec 19, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #13,537 of 15,608
I was looking for powered usb hub too to improve my desktop setup. For my cayin RU6 setup mainly for my jogging session. Just tested sandisk extreme pro 64GB with my M1s, still grainy. Maybe 64gb sandisk extreme pro has lower quality than 1tb sandisk extreme pro? Even my old 8gb Sony microsd and Vivo v9 internal storage sounds better. Also strange that songs I downloaded from telegram (apple music) sounds better than my flac files using M1s

There is a USB hub recommended, which when set up correctly, will use a battery on the USB hub to only power the dongle , and not the source DAC/Phone at the same time.
This setup has the phone using it's own power, and the dongle using it's own power (battery on the hub). Thus there is no charge current flowing to/from the phone to the hub. So the signal is cleaner, as there is no power on the cable from the phone to the hub/dongle, as the dongle get's it's power from the battery on the hub.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cayin-ru7-1-bit-resistor-network-dongle-dac-amp.968064/post-17792697

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #13,538 of 15,608
No, but I can call mine almost snappy.

Do you think the number of tracks stored would play a factor? Having a microSD inserted?

... Also I don't think we'll get an OS update with our slower CPU, and fear it would mess with the sound (years of optimisation). But who knows? :)

Dec 19, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #13,539 of 15,608
Mine is. But I only use the Walkman App and YouTube Music. But with these two apps it's snappy and responsive.

Currently roughly 5000 songs on an average/cheap MicroSD Card from SanDisk

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #13,540 of 15,608
don't hold your breath! this thing is slow enough as it is. funny thing is I visited the Sony flagship store in Tokyo when I was there a couple of months ago, and I picked up the AM2 demo unit (already owned one), and it was SO SNAPPY and responsive. they must do something different to the demo units to make them faster to get people to buy them.
Does the demo unit contain a lot of songs? I would think that it is likely the demo units in Japan is very clean from 3rd party bloatware apps and only have a few songs thus it runs snappier.

My personal optimized wm1am2 is running extremely snappy too. Debloating and using a light weight launcher really helps to keep the Walkman running smooth as butter.

If you have a lot of flac files, would recommend to use foobar2000 to optimise the flac container layout and remove excess file padding for improved file loading efficiency, in my own experience, album art loads much faster after optimising.

Dec 20, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #13,541 of 15,608
Does the demo unit contain a lot of songs? I would think that it is likely the demo units in Japan is very clean from 3rd party bloatware apps and only have a few songs thus it runs snappier.

My personal optimized wm1am2 is running extremely snappy too. Debloating and using a light weight launcher really helps to keep the Walkman running smooth as butter.

If you have a lot of flac files, would recommend to use foobar2000 to optimise the flac container layout and remove excess file padding for improved file loading efficiency, in my own experience, album art loads much faster after optimising.
They might have overclocked it too as battery isn’t a concern

Dec 20, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #13,543 of 15,608
There is a USB hub recommended, which when set up correctly, will use a battery on the USB hub to only power the dongle , and not the source DAC/Phone at the same time.
This setup has the phone using it's own power, and the dongle using it's own power (battery on the hub). Thus there is no charge current flowing to/from the phone to the hub. So the signal is cleaner, as there is no power on the cable from the phone to the hub/dongle, as the dongle get's it's power from the battery on the hub.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cayin-ru7-1-bit-resistor-network-dongle-dac-amp.968064/post-17792697

We have the Orico TWU3 usb hub here which have anti backflow design to protect host device. Gonna order and try it later... As the powerbank I have Aukey brand

Dec 20, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #13,545 of 15,608
If you decide to go with the swissbit, do note that it comes preformatted as 128GB exfat.

Using your wm1am2, go to settings > storage > sdcard > tap on three dots on top right corner > storage settings > format > format sd card

Once you have done so, it will show up properly as 256GB.

As with all Walkmans, you need to store your music files in the sdcard\music folder.

Also previously on my zx507, I have compared the sound quality between windows formatting, SDA formatter tool and Walkman Android OS formatting and found that the Walkman formatted sounds best to my ears.
What format with Walkman OS? FAT32 or exFAT?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back