SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Nov 2, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #13,352 of 15,736
My buddy will be making a trip to Japan here soon. With the current conversion rate, he asked me if I wanted him to pick up anything while he’s there. From what I can see, some shops may have the 1Z M2 listed for ¥320,000. Not sure how easy it is to find the 1Z M2 in various electronics shops around Tokyo, tho?

I’ve been using the Questyle M15 with my various 300 Ohm ZMFs, but love the idea of having a dedicated player with less distractions. I use Roon for local library, Spotify for discovery.

I also have a headamp next to my bed, so I’d like to use the DAP as a line level DAC (unbalanced) when I’m lying next to a dedicated amp.
With a newborn baby, it’s also nice to be able to chill on the couch with my cans and hold her while my wife catches up on sleep.

Is there an audible improvement with the 1Z over the 1A? If it can be found, is picking up the 1Z M2 for under $2200 still a good buy going into 2024? Any cautions against pairing with high impedance cans like ZMFs?

Thanks in advance. My last DAP was the second or third gen iPod; whichever was the first 80GB model. 🫠

Nov 2, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #13,353 of 15,736
Is there an audible improvement with the 1Z over the 1A? If it can be found, is picking up the 1Z M2 for under $2200 still a good buy going into 2024? Any cautions against pairing with high impedance cans like ZMFs?
There is an audible difference (improvement? I suppose so)... really depends on your wallet. If the Z is too much, then going for the A is a no-brainer, and differences aren't obvious unless you're constantly A/Bing them.

Anything below the RRP is a good buy. These are still "modern" DAPs.

I won't hope for good sound with high impedance cans. The 800S sound anaemic out of them.

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #13,354 of 15,736
My buddy will be making a trip to Japan here soon. With the current conversion rate, he asked me if I wanted him to pick up anything while he’s there. From what I can see, some shops may have the 1Z M2 listed for ¥320,000. Not sure how easy it is to find the 1Z M2 in various electronics shops around Tokyo, tho?

I’ve been using the Questyle M15 with my various 300 Ohm ZMFs, but love the idea of having a dedicated player with less distractions. I use Roon for local library, Spotify for discovery.

I also have a headamp next to my bed, so I’d like to use the DAP as a line level DAC (unbalanced) when I’m lying next to a dedicated amp.
With a newborn baby, it’s also nice to be able to chill on the couch with my cans and hold her while my wife catches up on sleep.

Thanks in advance. My last DAP was the second or third gen iPod; whichever was the first 80GB model. 🫠
I would ideally pair IEMs with Sony. I really enjoy XE6 with Sony using some EQ and Sony sound processing algorithms. IEMs are ergonomically better with newborn around trust me.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #13,355 of 15,736

Difference yes, improvement.............it depends on preference.

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #13,356 of 15,736

You can ask your buddy to check out eEarphone but I am not sure if it can be brought for under 320,000.

Nov 3, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #13,357 of 15,736
I would ideally pair IEMs with Sony. I really enjoy XE6 with Sony using some EQ and Sony sound processing algorithms. IEMs are ergonomically better with newborn around trust me.
How does your TOTL IEM stack up against your full-sized cans?

I’ve been contemplating going with a nice pair of IEMs for awhile. I suppose now would be a good time to do so with a newborn, and me being more mobile with work.

Something slightly V or U shaped vs purely analytical. I haven’t followed the IEM market, but I’m aware things have progressed quite a bit since the last time I was looking into them 5 years ago lol

Nov 3, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #13,358 of 15,736

I would be in the opinion that the 1ZM2 does not have major improvement over the 1AM2 but of rather offering a slightly different sound signature.

Comparing them on Direct source mode:

1AM2 has it's emphasis on the attack of the transient, and less decay/lingering of the tone.

1ZM2 has lesser emphasis on the attack of the transient and more decay/lingering of tone.

1ZM2 has a overall thicker bass sound over the punching bass sounding 1AM2.

I would think the 1AM2 has tuning that works better for music that has faster tempo/beats while 1ZM2 works better on music that focuses on refinement/smoothness of the sound. But again both will still sound great on all music, just the tuning side of it.

1ZM2:
Pros:
More refined smooth sound with more lingering/decay of tone, more weightier bass
Cons:
Slightly less attack/sharpness on the transient, more expensive

1AM2:
Pros:
Sharper transients, crispier, better engagement. Punchier bass Most value for $
Cons:
Less soundstaging elements(decay, echo), more long term digital glare/fatigue, more revealing of bad recordings & noise artifacts

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #13,359 of 15,736
I’ve been contemplating going with a nice pair of IEMs for a while.
Something slightly V or U shaped vs pure analytical.
If your budget allows, ask your buddy to bring you SONY IER-Z1R as well.
I pair it with NW-WM1Z M1 also.
It has been my 1-st pair of IEMs ever. I have it since August 2022 and been using it daily while commuting (1+hour twice a day). Fortunately no wrong fit issues and I think I don't have big ears really.
It is said to be V-shaped with slightly recessed mids but I don't perceive it. Even after 1+ year of using it daily I am surprised how full the sound is. It is amazing how great bass tones are from such a small shell.

Nov 3, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #13,360 of 15,736
Even through lossy YouTube audio compression, you can hear a difference between music played by 1AM2 vs 1ZM2

Was hoping I couldn’t notice a difference for my wallet’s sake. 😭

I just placed an order for an IE 900, mainly due to its size, dynamic driver, and a good sale price ($999). Sounds like it’s a solid all-rounder and should have some good synergy with the Sony DAPs.

I’m really trying to not go down the TOTL IEM rabbit hole as I’ve already done so with full-sized cans. 🤑

I’m sure I’d love the Z1R, but I’ve always had comfort issues with IEMs sitting in place in the past. I appreciate everyone’s input!

Now, the hard decision of 1ZM2 or 1AM2. ¥390k is still a nice chunk of cash, even with the exchange rate

Nov 3, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #13,361 of 15,736

I just placed an order for an IE 900, mainly due to its size, dynamic driver, and a good sale price ($999). Sounds like it’s a solid all-rounder and should have some good synergy with the Sony DAPs.

I’m really trying to not go down the TOTL IEM rabbit hole as I’ve already done so with full-sized cans. 🤑

I’m sure I’d love the Z1R, but I’ve always had comfort issues with IEMs sitting in place in the past. I appreciate everyone’s input!

Now, the hard decision of 1ZM2 or 1AM2. ¥390k is still a nice chunk of cash, even with the exchange rate
Depends on your usage. If you are going to use it everyday then I would think it is worthwhile to spend. I would think the IE900 would be a better pairing to the Z over the A. But do remember that you can still tune the A to sound more closer to the Z via DSD Remastering mode.

Nov 3, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #13,362 of 15,736

I'm running 1AM2 and IE900 and LOVE IT

Nov 3, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #13,363 of 15,736
How does your TOTL IEM stack up against your full-sized cans?

I’ve been contemplating going with a nice pair of IEMs for awhile. I suppose now would be a good time to do so with a newborn, and me being more mobile with work.

Something slightly V or U shaped vs purely analytical. I haven’t followed the IEM market, but I’m aware things have progressed quite a bit since the last time I was looking into them 5 years ago lol
XE6 is fun IEM and may suit you if you dont like analytical sound.
Lot of fun IEMs these days but prices are going over roof for them.

Nov 3, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #13,364 of 15,736
I beg to differ on slight differences between the two m2 Walkmans.
Even through lossy YouTube audio compression, you can hear a difference between music played by 1AM2 vs 1ZM2

On the first video, I felt that the 1ZM2 performed better on magic carpet song over the 1AM2. 1ZM2 has a more beautiful sound, the vocals are very clear and also presenting more guitar timbre, 1AM2 tends to highlight too much of the sibilant sounds of the singer's vocals. I think for song enjoyment, the 1ZM2 is better in this case.

While in the second video, I felt that the 1AM2 performed better over the 1ZM2, as the 1AM2 has more energy in the music while the 1ZM2 has a softer transient. I would feel that the 1AM2 is a closer representation of how live music should be sounding like in the real world, as it sounds just a bit more sharper, which makes it more lively.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back