SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Nov 1, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #13,307 of 15,604
@Pmorelle: Have you debloated your NW-WM1ZM2 according to the instructions in one of the local threads?
Did you have your perception of this SONY DAP being harsh before OR after having debloated it?

Nov 1, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #13,308 of 15,604
@Pmorelle: Have you debloated your NW-WM1ZM2 according to the instructions in one of the local threads?
Did you have your perception of this SONY DAP being harsh before OR after having debloated it?
OMG! Please...

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #13,309 of 15,604
🤣 Being audiophile is the idée fixe to believe that simply everything must have an objective but not measurable impact on sound quality, except your own brain. Even more, an audiophile brain is said to be an undeniable measuring tool for something like an objective sound quality. Being impervious to any kind of delusion. This being said, everyone who states something different is totally wrong and denies the pure truth of the nature of sound which cannot be measured by anything else but audiophile brains. 🤣

Nov 1, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #13,310 of 15,604
🤣 Being audiophile is the idée fixe to believe that simply everything must have an objective but not measurable impact on sound quality, except your own brain. Even more, an audiophile brain is said to be an undeniable measuring tool for something like an objective sound quality. Being impervious to any kind of delusion. This being said, everyone who states something different is totally wrong and denies the pure truth of the nature of sound which cannot be measured by anything else but audiophile brains. 🤣
To put it in simple words... we definitely must debloat this thread. It has almost 900 pages and it's full of posts stating the earth would be flat. There's just a tiny fraction with useful information on the two Sony DAPs.
Think about it. People try to get device specific information and honest reviews, no creeds. For such you may go to church, on Sunday.
Again, it's not about telling somebody to be quiet in general. It's about focusing on the topic, not on religion.
Most people are able to be rational. Act accordingly.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #13,311 of 15,604
As for whether debloating the Walkman would improve the sound quality, go read up what has been mentioned in the following articles on Sony.jp, I guess I must be spouting "nonsense" all along?:

https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/220209/?s_pid=feature_products_168

Now that we've told you all about the high-quality sound hardware, please tell us about the first flagship model to be equipped with an Android OS. Although the Android OS has made it possible to use various online services, it seems that many users have a negative view of the sound quality. What do you all think about this?
Interview scene photo

Sekine: As you know, Sony has resumed mounting Android OS on the NW-ZX500 and NW-A100, which were released in 2019, and this time as well, we have used that knowledge and know-how in the design. Listening to the voices of people who are concerned about installing an Android OS, it seems that many are concerned about the increase in noise caused by adding circuitry to run the Android OS. It's true that running the Android OS requires a high-performance processor, which means more noise. In fact, the Walkman has achieved both the convenience of the Android OS and high sound quality through various efforts, such as shielding the processor and suppressing noise with the NW-ZX500.
Sato: In the NW-ZX500, we covered the processor with a gold-plated metal block made of copper, rather than oxygen-free copper, and aimed to improve sound quality by influencing the weight of the block itself. The new model takes this idea one step further by completely surrounding the processor with a gold-plated block made from machined oxygen-free copper to strengthen the ground and isolate noise. The effect is obvious when you actually listen to the sound. You can enjoy extremely clear sound.
By the way, Sony has previously installed high-performance processors even in models that are not equipped with Android OS, such as the previous generation "NW-WM1Z". Naturally, we have taken all the necessary noise countermeasures. So I don't feel like I've done anything special just because it's equipped with Android OS. We recognize that the innovations in the latest model are simply an extension of what has come before.

Interview scene photo

Interview scene photo

I see. Countermeasures for high-performance processors were established before the Android OS was installed, and they have been steadily upgrading this time as well, which means there will be no problems.
Sekine: That's right. On top of that, the most important thing is to be able to properly handle high-resolution on the Android OS. In fact, the current Android OS has a problem in that it is difficult to play high-resolution sound sources without deterioration due to limitations in the sampling frequency that it can handle. Conventional Android OS has a maximum output limit of 48Hz/16bit, so even if the streaming service supports high resolution, there was a problem that players running Android OS could not correctly play high resolution sound quality (down conversion). .
Therefore, we designed a unique signal path so that the NW-A100 and NW-ZX500 can play high-resolution sound sources without deterioration. This feature is of course incorporated into this model, and it is possible to correctly play high-resolution sound sources without deteriorating the sound quality even with apps such as W. Music and high-resolution streaming services. Although it is not compatible with all services (apps), we have confirmed that there are no problems with major services.
Tanaka: In addition to being compatible with various streaming services, it is also compatible with 360 Reality Audio, a stereophonic sound technology promoted by Sony, which allows for a more realistic sense of presence through personal optimization using the dedicated app ``Headphones Connect.'' You can enjoy it.
Please let us know if you have any other concerns regarding Android OS compatibility.
Sato: Even with the Android OS, the volume can be adjusted in 120 steps, just like previous models. What's more, the OS performs very serious volume control by fixing the volume at maximum and using the pulse height volume from the digital amplifier "S-Master" side.

https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/zx700/

Up to this point, we have heard about the high sound quality achieved with high-performance parts derived from the flagship model, but the platform part of the NW-ZX707 has also been significantly upgraded. I'm also curious about how it affects the sound quality.

Sato (morning): The NW-ZX707 is a SoC (abbreviation for System on a Chip) designed primarily to extend battery life.Many of the functions necessary to operate digital devices, such as the CPU and GPU, are integrated into a single chip. ) has been changed. Specifically, we replaced it with an SoC that consumes less power than the NW-ZX507 or NW-WM1AM2, and this actually has a positive effect on the sound quality.

Does lower power consumption contribute to improved sound quality? In fact, I have the impression that the sound quality will deteriorate...

Sato (morning): Low power consumption means that less power is supplied from the battery and power supply IC that are the source of the power supply, so less power means less power supply noise. Therefore, installing a power-saving SoC has a positive effect on sound quality.

I see! But the latest SoCs have high performance and low power consumption, right?

Sato (morning): That's right. However, the latest SoCs often use high power to complete processing in a short time, and then switch to a power-saving mode once the processing is complete, thereby reducing total power consumption. In other words, the difference between peak and off-peak power consumption is large, and fluctuations in power consumption can greatly affect the power supply.

Does that mean that a low-performance SoC is better suited for music playback?

Sato (morning): It is not easy to prototype a low-performance SoC and a high-performance SoC in combination with an audio circuit under the same conditions and compare the sound quality, so this is not the result of an actual experiment, but so far After examining the sound quality of many Walkmans, I have come to realize that choosing a device that does not generate noise, and controlling and operating it so that it does not generate noise, leads to higher sound quality, so I believe that there is a tendency to do so. I am. Based on this knowledge, the NW-ZX707 is equipped with an SoC that has the minimum performance required for listening to music, with the top priority being to suppress noise.
img_06.jpg

Even though they are both equipped with Android, the criteria for selecting a smartphone SoC are completely different.

Sato (morning): That's right. It is also for the same reason that the NW-ZX707's display uses a liquid crystal (LCD) rather than the trendy organic EL (OLED). Organic EL displays high contrast and reduces power consumption by stopping light emission when displaying black, but conversely, power consumption increases when displaying white. Therefore, power consumption varies greatly depending on the content being displayed. Therefore, the NW-ZX707 is purposely equipped with a liquid crystal display from the perspective of sound quality.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #13,312 of 15,604
To put it in simple words... we definitely must debloat this thread. It has almost 900 pages and it's full of posts stating the earth would be flat. There's just a tiny fraction with useful information on the two Sony DAPs.
Think about it. People try to get device specific information and honest reviews, no creeds. For such you may go to church, on Sunday.
Again, it's not about telling somebody to be quiet in general. It's about focusing on the topic, not on religion.
Most people are able to be rational. Act accordingly.
So you want to apply to be moderator at headfi? Please go ahead. Added to ignore list.

Nov 1, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #13,313 of 15,604
This is the key statement:

Sato (morning): It is not easy to prototype a low-performance SoC and a high-performance SoC in combination with an audio circuit under the same conditions and compare the sound quality, so this is not the result of an actual experiment, but so far After examining the sound quality of many Walkmans, I have come to realize that choosing a device that does not generate noise, and controlling and operating it so that it does not generate noise, leads to higher sound quality, so I believe that there is a tendency to do so. I am. Based on this knowledge, the NW-ZX707 is equipped with an SoC that has the minimum performance required for listening to music, with the top priority being to suppress noise.

So make your own judgement if Android bloatware would add extra processing noise and extra power draw onto the Walkman and affect it's sound quality.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #13,314 of 15,604
As for whether debloating the Walkman would improve the sound quality, go read up what has been mentioned in the following articles on Sony.jp, I guess I must be spouting "nonsense" all along?:

Now that we've told you all about the high-quality sound hardware, please tell us about the first flagship model to be equipped with an Android OS. Although the Android OS has made it possible to use various online services, it seems that many users have a negative view of the sound quality. What do you all think about this?
Interview scene photo

Interview scene photo

Sekine: As you know, Sony has resumed mounting Android OS on the NW-ZX500 and NW-A100, which were released in 2019, and this time as well, we have used that knowledge and know-how in the design. Listening to the voices of people who are concerned about installing an Android OS, it seems that many are concerned about the increase in noise caused by adding circuitry to run the Android OS. It's true that running the Android OS requires a high-performance processor, which means more noise. In fact, the Walkman has achieved both the convenience of the Android OS and high sound quality through various efforts, such as shielding the processor and suppressing noise with the NW-ZX500.
Sato: In the NW-ZX500, we covered the processor with a gold-plated metal block made of copper, rather than oxygen-free copper, and aimed to improve sound quality by influencing the weight of the block itself. The new model takes this idea one step further by completely surrounding the processor with a gold-plated block made from machined oxygen-free copper to strengthen the ground and isolate noise. The effect is obvious when you actually listen to the sound. You can enjoy extremely clear sound.
By the way, Sony has previously installed high-performance processors even in models that are not equipped with Android OS, such as the previous generation "NW-WM1Z". Naturally, we have taken all the necessary noise countermeasures. So I don't feel like I've done anything special just because it's equipped with Android OS. We recognize that the innovations in the latest model are simply an extension of what has come before.

Interview scene photo

Interview scene photo

I see. Countermeasures for high-performance processors were established before the Android OS was installed, and they have been steadily upgrading this time as well, which means there will be no problems.
Sekine: That's right. On top of that, the most important thing is to be able to properly handle high-resolution on the Android OS. In fact, the current Android OS has a problem in that it is difficult to play high-resolution sound sources without deterioration due to limitations in the sampling frequency that it can handle. Conventional Android OS has a maximum output limit of 48Hz/16bit, so even if the streaming service supports high resolution, there was a problem that players running Android OS could not correctly play high resolution sound quality (down conversion). .
Therefore, we designed a unique signal path so that the NW-A100 and NW-ZX500 can play high-resolution sound sources without deterioration. This feature is of course incorporated into this model, and it is possible to correctly play high-resolution sound sources without deteriorating the sound quality even with apps such as W. Music and high-resolution streaming services. Although it is not compatible with all services (apps), we have confirmed that there are no problems with major services.
Tanaka: In addition to being compatible with various streaming services, it is also compatible with 360 Reality Audio, a stereophonic sound technology promoted by Sony, which allows for a more realistic sense of presence through personal optimization using the dedicated app ``Headphones Connect.'' You can enjoy it.
Please let us know if you have any other concerns regarding Android OS compatibility.
Sato: Even with the Android OS, the volume can be adjusted in 120 steps, just like previous models. What's more, the OS performs very serious volume control by fixing the volume at maximum and using the pulse height volume from the digital amplifier "S-Master" side.

Up to this point, we have heard about the high sound quality achieved with high-performance parts derived from the flagship model, but the platform part of the NW-ZX707 has also been significantly upgraded. I'm also curious about how it affects the sound quality.

Sato (morning): The NW-ZX707 is a SoC (abbreviation for System on a Chip) designed primarily to extend battery life.Many of the functions necessary to operate digital devices, such as the CPU and GPU, are integrated into a single chip. ) has been changed. Specifically, we replaced it with an SoC that consumes less power than the NW-ZX507 or NW-WM1AM2, and this actually has a positive effect on the sound quality.

Does lower power consumption contribute to improved sound quality? In fact, I have the impression that the sound quality will deteriorate...

Sato (morning): Low power consumption means that less power is supplied from the battery and power supply IC that are the source of the power supply, so less power means less power supply noise. Therefore, installing a power-saving SoC has a positive effect on sound quality.

I see! But the latest SoCs have high performance and low power consumption, right?

Sato (morning): That's right. However, the latest SoCs often use high power to complete processing in a short time, and then switch to a power-saving mode once the processing is complete, thereby reducing total power consumption. In other words, the difference between peak and off-peak power consumption is large, and fluctuations in power consumption can greatly affect the power supply.

img_06.jpg

Even though they are both equipped with Android, the criteria for selecting a smartphone SoC are completely different.

Sato (morning): That's right. It is also for the same reason that the NW-ZX707's display uses a liquid crystal (LCD) rather than the trendy organic EL (OLED). Organic EL displays high contrast and reduces power consumption by stopping light emission when displaying black, but conversely, power consumption increases when displaying white. Therefore, power consumption varies greatly depending on the content being displayed. Therefore, the NW-ZX707 is purposely equipped with a liquid crystal display from the perspective of sound quality.
Sorry

Interview scene photo

Interview scene photo

img_06.jpg

Sato (morning): That's right. It is also for the same reason that the NW-ZX707's display uses a liquid crystal (LCD) rather than the trendy organic EL (OLED). Organic EL displays high contrast and reduces power consumption by stopping light emission when displaying black, but conversely, power consumption increases when displaying white. Therefore, power consumption varies greatly depending on the content being displayed. Therefore, the NW-ZX707 is purposely equipped with a liquid crystal display from the perspective of sound qualityWhat does this marketing article proof or disprove regarding
Sorry, had to unignore you to give a short response on this marketing article 😉
Please, tell us what does this article say exactly about debloating and potential consequences...?

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #13,316 of 15,604
S-Master HX's faithful(double-edged sword) ability of amplifying even it's own power supply noise:

https://www.sony.jp/msc/enjoy/products/feature/20140501/

──"S-Master" is installed in various types of Walkmans, and has become one of the features that symbolizes the high sound quality of Walkmans. Walkman fans often hear the sound of the "S-Master", but what kind of amplifier is the "S-Master"?
Irie: "S-Master" is a fully digital amplifier that performs all signal processing digitally . By eliminating the feedback circuit that requires digital-to-analog conversion, "S-Master" minimizes the deterioration in sound quality caused by analog-to-digital/digital-to-analog conversion. The circuit that converts digital signals to analog signals is surprisingly simple, basically just a coil and a capacitor.
When I first encountered the S-Master, it had such a simple structure that for a moment I couldn't understand why it produced sound (lol). Because of its simplicity, even the faintest sounds contained in the original sound can be amplified accurately without being drowned out by other sounds, allowing for faithful reproduction of the original sound .
Kenji Irie, Sony Corporation Home Entertainment & Sound Business Division Design of S-Master for Walkman

--Does the fact that you can amplify even faint sounds mean that it also amplifies noise?

Irie: That's right. Because "S-Master" reacts to signals very obediently, it reproduces and amplifies not only the audio signal, but also the noise contained in the signal and the electric power that is the source of the amplification power.

The solution is to completely eliminate the noise itself . Creating a clean power supply with low noise and the circuit that generates it is the key to the design of the "S-Master" amplifier installed in the Walkman, and is directly linked to improving sound quality. If we were to compare the sound produced by "S-Master" to cooking, it would be food that brings out the charm of the ingredients (songs) using "good water (clean power supply)" and "simple cooking ("S-Master")." Shall we?

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #13,317 of 15,604
This is the key statement:

So make your own judgement if Android bloatware would add extra processing noise and extra power draw onto the Walkman and affect it's sound quality.
What does it say exactly about differences in SQ when debloating (deleting/disabling services/apps) such a device? And do you have other sources than Sony or other manufacturers?
I guess I know what you mean. You think about the more apps/services are running on an Android device the more (audible) noise is created by the device, thus by the audio output ports, right? This may be discussed later on (better not 😉), but I can't see this stated by the article.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #13,318 of 15,604
@Pmorelle

Unwanted processing/memory hog from Android bloatware
Electrical noise and power draw from Microsd card

Would these noises be affecting the sound quality of your WM1ZM2's S-Master HX? I guess it depends on how good your hearing ability is, in conjunction with the sound quality/sensitivity of your iem/headphone and the source quality of your music files.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #13,319 of 15,604
This is actually the best thread on the internet. Where anything Walkman related is welcome. We don't burn books here. I've rarely seen an opinion stated as fact. This isn't an encyclopedia (though it should be). Just talking about the tape display is boring. I hope the interesting and useful information keeps coming ❤️

Nov 1, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #13,320 of 15,604
@Pmorelle

Unwanted processing/memory hog from Android bloatware
Electrical noise and power draw from Microsd card

Would these noises be affecting the sound quality of your WM1ZM2's S-Master HX? I guess it depends on how good your hearing ability is, in conjunction with the sound quality/sensitivity of your iem/headphone.
This is not stated by the article 😉. But my guess was right 😉. Did anybody measured this additional noise (at the analogue audio output) ever, by a machine, not a human brain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back