Oct 30, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #13,280 of 15,688
Oct 30, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #13,283 of 15,688
@andrewski

I am currently using this configuration for my walkman:

High-res streaming off
Headphone app disabled
DSD Remastering On
Slow Roll-off

I still find this setting to still offer the most pure analogue-like sound out of the walkman. Not the most dynamic transients but the transients feels very continuously smoothly connected, very easy to get into the zen of things.
I have to agree it does sound smoother

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #13,285 of 15,688
I have to agree it does sound smoother
I would think this setting to be even more smoother sounding on your WM1ZM2 as compared to my WM1AM2, as sounds seems to decay/linger for longer on the Z.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #13,286 of 15,688
Has anyone been able to use a 1A/1Zm2 as an external usb DAC for native DSD such as from HQplayer upsampling? I can get PCM to work fine but not DSD so I'm assuming it’s only PCM in usb dac mode?

Try DSD in HQP with DoP enabled in HQP.

Oct 31, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #13,287 of 15,688
After months of owning both WM1ZM2 and 320Max, I have come to the conclusion that as long as the Walkman has enough power to drive the headphones, it most definitely sounds better to my ears.

The Liric sounds bland on the 320Max but deep and impactful with the Walkman. I also enjoy all of my IEMs more with the Walkman. Prob only my HD800s makes me go back to the 320Max. Might be time to get hold of the Diana MR 😜

Still intending to keep the 320Max for times when I crave more power. Otherwise, the Walkman remains the most “musical” player I’ve ever heard.

I had the chance to test longly both DX320 + AMP 13 and NW-WM1Z M2

iBasso with AMP 13 is more relax, less energy both in treble presence and in bass rumble.
Very open and smooth all the way, better synth (it's mesmerizing)
Denser sound, and smooth is the term

The Sony have lot more energy in the bass (punch), but it's still very clear (clearer) , and treble energy also (can be more fatiguing that DX 320 + AMP 13)
A bit colder and harsh overall than the iBasso, a bit more centered also

For now i'm quite divided, i discovered the AMP 13 just days before the Sony, and i hated AMP 11 (to the point I didn't listen the ibasso for a while and invested in the Sony since i was hearing a lot of praised for his warmth and musicality)
Now i've got some days under the belt with the two of them, i'm surprise to say this, but for my preference i think iBasso is more adequate

I listen lot of japanese smooth song (Haruka Nakamura, Joe Hisaishi,), also Olafur Arnalds and Clint Mansell.
All tempered song with strings, synth and some voices here and there

For the likes of New Order or Royksopp or Japanese Breakfast, maybe the Sony is more adequate

Oct 31, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #13,288 of 15,688
Genuinely curious, what's your favourite source? Local WAV, FLAC, ALAC, etc or HiRes streaming?

Just that, (and I'm trying not to be a jerk), there's very little music in your posts. Lots of rules, laws, impossibilities, and continued demands of proof.

Most of us buy Walkmans to enjoy music, not to be better than anyone.

Edit: A little something about myself: Every step in the chain matters to me. My source is CD's. The label and mastering matters. My favourite album is WarMech by Front Line Assembly on the label Artoffact Records ( they make great recordings. It's mostly drum-machine and bass. I record my CD's real-time through optical and convert to WAV. Through listening experience (not reading) I've discovered that the storage medium does matter. As do cables etc. It not about validation, or bragging rights. It about getting the most out your favourite tracks. Here's one of mine ❤️

Just catching up with a (few) months of posts, haven't been getting notifications...?!!!

Presumably you know there's now a vocal version of 'Mechvirus' feat. Arria out now on Bandcamp - worth checking out

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #13,289 of 15,688
I had the chance to test longly both DX320 + AMP 13 and NW-WM1Z M2

iBasso with AMP 13 is more relax, less energy both in treble presence and in bass rumble.
Very open and smooth all the way, better synth (it's mesmerizing)
Denser sound, and smooth is the term

The Sony have lot more energy in the bass (punch), but it's still very clear (clearer) , and treble energy also (can be more fatiguing that DX 320 + AMP 13)
A bit colder and harsh overall than the iBasso, a bit more centered also

For now i'm quite divided, i discovered the AMP 13 just days before the Sony, and i hated AMP 11 (to the point I didn't listen the ibasso for a while and invested in the Sony since i was hearing a lot of praised for his warmth and musicality)
Now i've got some days under the belt with the two of them, i'm surprise to say this, but for my preference i think iBasso is more adequate

I listen lot of japanese smooth song (Haruka Nakamura, Joe Hisaishi,), also Olafur Arnalds and Clint Mansell.
All tempered song with strings, synth and some voices here and there

For the likes of New Order or Royksopp or Japanese Breakfast, maybe the Sony is more adequate
The sony harsh? The 1zm2? Your unit must be broken...

Oct 31, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #13,290 of 15,688
Thé
The sony harsh? The 1zm2? Your unit must be broken...
Oh, yes, the best explanation ever with someone you disagree with, i suppose ?!

At least i did say COMPARED TO, and since Aristotle we , human, understood that what is thanks to a relation with something, in not the quality of the thing itself (the little planet and the big rat - no one is really big or small)
You must have missriden me, i guess ?

If you would listen to iBasso with AMP 13, it is that obvious that the Sony isn't the King in smooth and warm tuning.

And it's a surprise that i do found with at the big cost of buying a Sony unit since it was very praised and since i really found the stock iBasso insipid

Like I said in the iBasso thread, i felt my money had been wasted and wasn't willing to put one euro in iBasso product, but i got the AMP few days before the Sony thanks to a very nice offert

Without it i would have praised the Sony more, of course.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back