SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Oct 22, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #13,216 of 15,756
Hiyorianyfi - Fun daily life in Japan
August 11, 2017 ·
20664668_1098879253580887_4495161345571151739_n.jpg

20727920_1098879266914219_3126277689310341573_n.jpg

Exclusive interview with Sony DAP series audio engineer Mr. Hiroshi Sato

Thank you Sony for arranging this rare opportunity to visit with Mr. Sato. Starting from the ZX1 series, Sato served as the audio engineer for the Sony A series, ZX series and WM series. Mr. Sato will be involved in everything that affects the sound, including wiring arrangement, circuit placement on the PCB board, component selection, and body materials. He will consider the impact of various changes on the final sound one by one to choose the most appropriate solution. .

First, Mr. Sato explained some of his considerations when developing flagship products. The ZX1 and WM series in the ZX series were actually regarded as flagship products when they were launched. So the considerations when making it are very similar. In addition to the basic portable elements, such as size and user experience, and because it is a flagship, it naturally uses all the highest technology and design at the time to achieve the highest sound quality. I also hope to put more functions into it. The goal is to develop a machine that can break out of the traditional "Walkman" framework.

In addition, when developing ZX1, there were some effects that he wanted to achieve but could not achieve. When developing the WM series, he initially placed the PCB in the same aluminum shell material as ZX1, but the sound was not satisfactory, especially the bass. On the other hand, he later made a copper shell by himself and got the effect he wanted. So this explains why WM1A and 1Z only have a few key components and casings, but the sound is very different. Mr. Sato later explained further that because the Walkman's PCB is very thin and there is very little space, very small changes will have a big impact on the sound, so many arrangements are ingenious and delicate.

For example, when making a copper shell, although the sound is correct, copper will naturally corrode and rust easily, so it was plated with a layer of silver, and finally a layer of gold, making it what it is today.

In addition, many friends will feel that Sony's DAP is particularly suitable for Sony headphones, so they are curious whether the tuning is deliberately targeted? Mr. Sato laughed and said that their sound engineers do commonly use Sony headphones on weekdays. He himself has a pair of specially tuned Sony Justear CMs. However, because he has to take into account the needs and preferences of different users when tuning, he does not specifically target Sony headphones. But all kinds of headphones will be considered.

Then when asked about the reason why the WM series sounds softer and tougher than in the past, which is tougher and full of brighter speed, Mr. Sato revealed that it is because first of all, the ZX series cannot do it due to design restrictions. Then Mr. Sato said, of course, user opinions are also one of the reasons for this sound adjustment, but the main reason is that more and more music on the market needs this kind of gentle air feeling to express, so there is such a change.

Next, I asked if there is such a thing as "Sony sound". Do Sony engineers have a Sony sound in their minds and then adjust it accordingly? Mr. Sato laughed and said that in fact, during the research and development process, each generation of tuners hopes to present the music as it is, that is to say, without adding salt and vinegar to the recording. Because everyone holds this idea, This is always considered when tuning, and over time this consistency has become the Sony sound that everyone knows.
Mr. Sato’s favorite music type is Pop & Rock, and he also listens to orchestral music.

Speaking of which, many friends are concerned about whether the built-in storage will have better sound when playing songs, or whether the SD Card will have better sound. Mr. Sato believes that each of these has its own merits, and Sony’s intention to provide a dedicated SD card is to allow everyone to have more fun. However, when he ultimately wants to confirm something related to sound, he will use the built-in memory.

Regarding the new player, he couldn't reveal too much for the time being. When asked whether the new A series might be equipped with 4.4 heads, he said that 4.4 heads can achieve the best sound quality, while the goal of the A series is to be lightweight and noise cancelling, but 4.4 is not compatible with NC, so it is temporarily impossible.
Finally, I would like to thank Mr. Sato and everyone at Sony Hong Kong for their arrangements.
Continuously updated, Hong Kong Audio and Video Show 2017

https://zh-hk.facebook.com/hiyorianyfi/posts/1098879300247549/

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #13,217 of 15,756
Try to get rid of all thoughts and emotions in your mind, just let the music go straight into you and tell it's story. That's how I feel is the best method to get into the zone. Once in the zone, it is very easy to listen to the melody and rhythm inside the music.
You and @The1Signature are right.

"Too many mind. No mind."
-that guy from The Last Samurai

Oct 22, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #13,219 of 15,756
20231022_134140.jpg

My obsession with single dynamic driver begun with EX1000. What makes EX1000 special? It was the first IEM which cared about high quality stock cable. It was the first IEM to sport housing specifically designed to maximise driver performance and minimise wear fatigue.
Is the sound still relevant? Yes, and imo incredibly rewarding if your library consist of well recorded classical and Jazz recordings.
I never found EX1000 to be ideal for pop or rock music.

M2 dsp are easily audible in EX1000, I can easily hear each making a difference. With first generations of walkman, I felt they EX1000 sounded lean and underpowered, but listening to my 1AM2, I wonder if Sony needs to revisit the EX1000 again.

Oct 23, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #13,220 of 15,756
I am not sure if Sony would make another headphone/iem with LCP driver in 2023 and beyond. The corporate direction of the new Sony seems to be focused towards eco-friendly solutions. Their latest WF/WH XM5 bluetooth and MDR-MV1 all have returned to back to conventional polymer film based diaphragms. Not sure if they would continue to use exotic materials such as magnesium or zirconium shells for their future upper tier iems, but I won't be optimistic.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #13,221 of 15,756
@andrewski

I am currently using this configuration for my walkman:

High-res streaming off
Headphone app disabled
DSD Remastering On
Slow Roll-off

I still find this setting to still offer the most pure analogue-like sound out of the walkman. Not the most dynamic transients but the transients feels very continuously smoothly connected, very easy to get into the zen of things.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #13,222 of 15,756
Hi everyone, I'm new here from New Zealand. Just trying to find some detailed opinions between the Zm2 & Am2 for use with IER-M9’s. I don’t mind the price difference of the Zm2, but want to know if the weight to carry around is worth it. Thanks :)
Bro where are you in new zealand, im new here and im trying to get back in this hobby

Oct 23, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #13,223 of 15,756
20231022_134140.jpg

My obsession with single dynamic driver begun with EX1000. What makes EX1000 special? It was the first IEM which cared about high quality stock cable. It was the first IEM to sport housing specifically designed to maximise driver performance and minimise wear fatigue.
Is the sound still relevant? Yes, and imo incredibly rewarding if your library consist of well recorded classical and Jazz recordings.
I never found EX1000 to be ideal for pop or rock music.

M2 dsp are easily audible in EX1000, I can easily hear each making a difference. With first generations of walkman, I felt they EX1000 sounded lean and underpowered, but listening to my 1AM2, I wonder if Sony needs to revisit the EX1000 again.
Love the EX1K. Such a classic. That bass texture is so addictive!

Oct 23, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #13,226 of 15,756
Agreed! Still giving many other buds for a run of it money . It is such an underrated little gems
You can’t find it brand new anymore. Only choice is the second hand market or alternatively the closest model would be the MDR-EX800ST.

Oct 23, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #13,227 of 15,756
Oct 25, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #13,228 of 15,756
I'm going to enter Sony's domain here, but I'm puzzled by the WM1ZM2's battery life for purely audiophile use...

Should we expect 40 hours or a few hours 10 or less?

What value would mean that the battery needs changing?

Thank you very much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back