SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Sep 15, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #12,541 of 15,797
I think I attribute it to the excellent error correction. My previous microSD was a Kingston which I think is particularly bad. I was noticing new chirps in my files on a weekly basis. The kind that always play back at the exact same spot in the song where the bit of music is gone forever. With almost 5000 tracks I can only imagine how many I hadn't discovered. Beyond the much better sound of the Swissbit (it's real), I feel reassured that my files are safe from corruption. I have three of them. One in my ZM2, AM2, and Xperia 1 V each :)
I think these are likely the reasons why Industrial grade microsd are better than consumer grade ones for our audiophile application:
Better quality NAND cells (better factory binning, lesser raw bit errors)
Better Error Detection and Correction algorithms (likely lesser sound glitches)
Better Microsd controller with better idle power saving(likely lower current load on walkman battery)
More robust power supply and voltage regulation and better EMI Shielding (likely lower electrical noise seeping into the Walkman electronic circuity)

@MrWalkman Maybe the above just sounds totally illogical to some of the "keyboard warriors".

Sep 15, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #12,542 of 15,797
I think I attribute it to the excellent error correction. My previous microSD was a Kingston which I think is particularly bad. I was noticing new chirps in my files on a weekly basis. The kind that always play back at the exact same spot in the song where the bit of music is gone forever. With almost 5000 tracks I can only imagine how many I hadn't discovered. Beyond the much better sound of the Swissbit (it's real), I feel reassured that my files are safe from corruption. I have three of them. One in my ZM2, AM2, and Xperia 1 V each :)

Interesting reasoning, the error correction aspect.

Does anyone know how the Sandisk Extreme Pro does vs the Swissbit?

Sep 15, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #12,543 of 15,797
I think these are likely the reasons why Industrial grade microsd are better than consumer grade ones for our audiophile application:
Better quality NAND cells (better factory binning, lesser raw bit errors)
Better Error Detection and Correction algorithms (likely lesser sound glitches)
Better Microsd controller with better idle power saving(likely lower current load on walkman battery)
More robust power supply and voltage regulation and better EMI Shielding (likely lower electrical noise seeping into the Walkman electronic circuity)

@MrWalkman Maybe the above just sounds totally illogical to some of the "keyboard warriors".
Agree on this aspect even if like you mentioned already , it might not be the only .
If you have to do billions digits transfer at maximum rate possible , error will pile eventually , the best error correction will make a difference , ears are absolutely able to spot micro differences

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #12,544 of 15,797
Interesting reasoning, the error correction aspect.

Does anyone know how the Sandisk Extreme Pro does vs the Swissbit?
I do have the Sandisk extreme pro 256GB(170MB/sec version).

The Extreme Pro has a very dynamic sound signature, deep and strong bass with excellent overall clarity and 3D-ness. I do think it is a very good sounding card for the price. I think this card's sound signature will work very well with EDM and modern POP genre of music. However it does not have the super-realistic sound staging prowess and holographic imaging and transparency of the Swissbit. From what I am hearing, the Sandisk Extreme Pro seems to suffer from very slight fuzziness in the treble clarity/imaging if you really listen to the music super critically, its like there's some kind of super faint FM radio-like distortion/grain/edginess in the background, especially for classical music.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #12,545 of 15,797
Agree on this aspect even if like you mentioned already , it might not be the only .
If you have to do billions digits transfer at maximum rate possible , error will pile eventually , the best error correction will make a difference , ears are absolutely able to spot micro differences
From what I have learn, audio codecs like FLAC do have quite robust error correction functions built in. These audio decoders and the underlying storage controllers/operating system should be able to correct most of the bit errors, preventing playback issues but whether these error correction have any "noticeable" impact to audio quality degradation or increased system power usage/noise it's a question mark but I guess most normal people should not notice these things. But I do think that there are more discerning listeners/Golden ears who are able to notice sound quality differences/issues which are not yet measurable by equipment at the moment in time, like what's describe below:

The Intangible
That last comment is a good segue into the realm of the intangible. Why does the opposite not hold true; that is, why does a transducer with good treble extension not always have good imaging? It might prove fruitful to circle back to soundstage and some new terms such as positional accuracy, layering, and "holographic" imaging. Note that what follows below does not answer the question; however, it is more so an interim, a placeholder, for describing characteristics of sound that we have not been able to measure (or interpret) yet.
  • Positional accuracy is a term most readers are probably more familiar with because it aligns closely with the colloquial definition of imaging. This is the degree to which a transducer is able to localize instruments on the soundstage; then, the degree to which a listener can pinpoint them.
  • Layering, often used interchangeably with the term separation, is the sense of physicality and space between instruments on the stage. Furthermore, it is indicative of the extent to which a transducer is able to give individual instruments a well-defined spot on the stage. You can see this has overlap with positional accuracy.
  • Holographic imaging is a term that's thrown around far too generously in my opinion. This is the perception with which instruments - usually percussive ones - "float" on the soundstage. By extension, this plays into soundstage height and the way a transducer shapes the walls of the stage.
https://www.audiodiscourse.com/2021/08/what-is-imaging-in-audio-and-thoughts.html

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #12,547 of 15,797
It’s too bad Swissbit do not have a 1TB micro sd card.

Swissbit is 3D TLC Nand.

For sizes 1TB and up, Some in head-fi have recommended the Micron I400 which is based on QLC Nand:

1TB:
MTSD1T0ANC8MS-1WT

1.5TB:
MTSD1T5ANC8MS-1WT

Sep 15, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #12,550 of 15,797
Across all devices I've ever owned, it's takes me about half an hour to adjust to the volume. I choose a constant volume that allows for long listening sessions. For example, on my ZM2 I'm at 38 low gain using IER-Z1R's. For the first half hour I want to turn it up. But if I do, my ears will start to 'squint' and I'll lose out on details. Over time my brain adjusts and I sink into the bass. After about an hour it's unbelievably loud and can even turn it down, but I don't :)
same here

Sep 16, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #12,554 of 15,797
Thank you to whoever recommended this remote, a nice addition meaning less wear and tear on the walkman itselfScreenshot_20230914-193501_Edited.png
Which case is this?

I am also planning to buy one case for SONY AM2 to use with ddhifi connector

Sep 16, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #12,555 of 15,797
Difficult to answer as each person hears differently and have different Opinions. Some people have sold their AM2/ZM2 in favour of the ZX707 also so make of that what you will.
Agree with this .

For z1r and A8000, ZX 707 is better match for me.
For Senn IE900, E5000, AM2 is better match for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back