SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Aug 9, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #12,184 of 15,797
Quite expensive for dust caps. Was thinking of purchasing them when they were released (for my C9) but decided to just go with cheaper rubber ones.
They are but they are gold and so when you have these plugged into the unused output(s) the sound will be much better as none of the stray electronics goodness can leak from inside. Fact! :wink:

Aug 9, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #12,186 of 15,797
After few weeks of ownership of NW-WM1AM2 I am happy to report about my experiences:

Walkman feels very good to hold in hand - it oozes luxury, I like to use the side buttons thanks to their tactile feedback. Sony Music player is great, easy to use and works smoothly.

Signal processing is sweet addition to the player. I use everything else except DSD upscaling and volume normaliser. Parametric EQ would surely be better than graphic but I see the point from Sony´s perspective. They could hide it under advanced options though.

I disabled all unnecessary Google stuff and dont have google account. Play store still updates certain components and Sony Headphones app. I only play local files.
Battery life has been good.
How is the DSD Upscaling ? are you on latest firmware ? I read reviews but on DMP-Z1 and it looks promising

Aug 9, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #12,187 of 15,797
Ouch!

Maybe people in Europe have lots more choice, maybe the market is different?
Its the opposite. There are the least choices. I think the EU is the country with the least options for headphones/earphones.

There is a reason why Sennheiser sold its headphone/earphone business. Something like headphones.com, Audio46 or e-earphone does not exist in germany because there are not enough customers that it would be worth having such a store.

There are very small "local" stores for audiophiles but they do struggle and so often only have very limited offers.

I found one store that did sell the LCD-XC but not the LCD-X. There are stores that sell the Westone Pro X Series but not the Westone Mach Series and so on.

You can get the Pro X Series on Amazon (luckily), but not the Mach Series. And you have to go to completely different stores depending on what maker you want an earphone from. Westone, Shure, Campfire, Audeze and so on are all sold on different stores. Some of them don't offer online shopping, so you have do drive 500+km to the store if you want to buy it and so on.

Its a mess and the reason is, because they don't sell well. And online shopping is no option as In-Ear are considered hygienic products in germany. That means if you open the box, you own them, there is no return! And absolutely no way to test them before buying.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #12,189 of 15,797
Hi,

Could anyone answer my query. Thanks in advance

SONY NW-WM1AM2 sold in singapore sony website is capped version or uncapped version??

Aug 9, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #12,191 of 15,797
Hi,

Could anyone answer my query. Thanks in advance

SONY NW-WM1AM2 sold in singapore sony website is capped version or uncapped version??
AM2 and ZM2 are uncapped version in Singapore. Only the A306 and ZX707 are capped version here. So, i imported my A306 from Japan.

Aug 9, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #12,192 of 15,797
AM2 and ZM2 are uncapped version in Singapore. Only the A306 and ZX707 are capped version here. So, i imported my A306 from Japan.
I am wonderin if Sony is capping them due to law, or because they want a reason to pull them from the market for not selling well..

I have absolutely no idea but as it seems, no other DAP Maker is doing that. Every DAP you can buy in germany is uncapped, except for the Sony ones...

Aug 9, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #12,193 of 15,797
I am wonderin if Sony is capping them due to law, or because they want a reason to pull them from the market for not selling well..

I have absolutely no idea but as it seems, no other DAP Maker is doing that. Every DAP you can buy in germany is uncapped, except for the Sony ones...
Hmm, i think both. While commuting, i don't see much people using walkmans, mostly phones listening to music. And the MDR Z1R need pre-order maybe due to low demand. Im glad they have the flexibility as it is still available.

For the capping, i find it strange too, Perhaps the policy makers worry the mass who buy A306 and ZX707 are youngsters who might blast their ears. And Sony flagshps maybe are more often bought by enthusiasts who knows how to protect their ears.

Aug 9, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #12,194 of 15,797
Also note that, unless you live in Austria, the MDR-Z1R is out of stock everywhere else in Europe it seems. It has been discontinued I understand, and only U.S. shops still seem to have new units.
Ordered a Z1R here in austria from Media Markt yesterday and....got it today. Data sheet shows manufactured 05/2023.
Looked on ebay for a new or used from Japan, but including the taxes it costs nearly the same so I decided to take this offer.

Only listened a view songs now....but yes sounds great.

Attachments

• PXL_20230809_080450329.jpg
    PXL_20230809_080450329.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230809_091528222.jpg
    PXL_20230809_091528222.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Aug 9, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #12,195 of 15,797
Hmm, i think both. While commuting, i don't see much people using walkmans, mostly phones listening to music. And the MDR Z1R need pre-order maybe due to low demand. Im glad they have the flexibility as it is still available.

For the capping, i find it strange too, Perhaps the policy makers worry the mass who buy A306 and ZX707 are youngsters who might blast their ears. And Sony flagshps maybe are more often bought by enthusiasts who knows how to protect their ears.
The ZX700 Series isn't even sold in germany xD we had the ZX500 but because it sold really bad due to the volume cap, we didn't even got the ZX700 this time.

But in Japan i actually see quite some people using Walkman. Just a few days ago i even seen an ZX300 which is, due to its age, rather rare i'd say. And i was especially happy to see a woman using it. This hobby is mostly a sausage party.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back