SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Aug 10, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #12,211 of 15,988
Large multi-nationals are vulnerable. Smaller companies have less "stake" to defend.

On another note, the solution is available, and simple. Don't buy it. Buy something without a cap.
Definitely will do that.

Aug 10, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #12,212 of 15,988
On another note, the solution is available, and simple. Don't buy it. Buy something without a cap.
If one for whatever reason does not want to buy any Chi-Fi DAP crap, solution is almost non-existent.
Only Astell & Kern that has another disadvantages.
In such a case there seems to be one solution only - buy/import the same SONY DAPs in a country where the SONY DAPs have no volume cap.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #12,213 of 15,988
If one for whatever reason does not want to buy any Chi-Fi DAP crap, solution is almost non-existent.
Only Astell & Kern that has another disadvantages.
In such a case there seems to be one solution only - buy/import the same SONY DAPs in a country where the SONY DAPs have no volume cap.
Importing does have a lot of disadvantages though. Especially in an warranty case, it is absolutely possible that you have no chance to ever send it in. Most shipping companies forbid private persons to ship Li-Ion batteries international. In addition to that, Sony Service wants/needs a local address with local(!) smartphone number and so on.

For example when you import from Japan and you send your Walkman in for repair, you need a Japanese Address + Japanese phone number (which is almost impossible to get for a foreign person. All prepaid SIM are data-only and for everything else you need a japanese residence)

So if your Walkman breaks down, you have a brick. So if you don't want a ChiFi DAP... you won't have a DAP. Thats it^^

Aug 10, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #12,214 of 15,988
Importing does have a lot of disadvantages though. Especially in an warranty case, it is absolutely possible that you have no chance to ever send it in. Most shipping companies forbid private persons to ship Li-Ion batteries international. In addition to that, Sony Service wants/needs a local address with local(!) smartphone number and so on.

For example when you import from Japan and you send your Walkman in for repair, you need a Japanese Address + Japanese phone number (which is almost impossible to get for a foreign person. All prepaid SIM are data-only and for everything else you need a japanese residence)

So if your Walkman breaks down, you have a brick. So if you don't want a ChiFi DAP... you won't have a DAP. Thats it^^
I thought that even if the Walkman is imported from another country, the local Sony in the country still can provide service for a fee?

Aug 10, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #12,215 of 15,988
I thought that even if the Walkman is imported from another country, the local Sony in the country still can provide service for a fee?
I doubt so. If they have to replace the board (which is what they do 99% of the time), you would get an board from an capped Walkman which would defeat the purpose of importing it.

For Sony, repair means replace

Aug 10, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #12,216 of 15,988
I know that there are some potential risks with buying abroad. However, most is not equal to any automatically.

I bought my NW-WM1Z in Australia, NW-ZX300 locally - both from SONY authorized sellers.

If they have to replace the board (which is what they do 99% of the time), you would get an board from an capped Walkman which would defeat the purpose of importing it.

I bought NW-WM1A and NW-A55 in Japan. However, as they are based on SONY's own OS and can be thus uncapped again easily, I somehow cannot care less about the eventual board replacement. :joy:

It is true however that with the eventual future upgrade to Android-based M2s it is definitely a good idea to start making friends in Japan. :relaxed:

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #12,217 of 15,988
I doubt so. If they have to replace the board (which is what they do 99% of the time), you would get an board from an capped Walkman which would defeat the purpose of importing it.

I am yet to need high gain so if that happens I’ll just take the easy way out I guess.

Aug 11, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #12,220 of 15,988
Fiio RM3 Blutetooth Remote https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005005282609925.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2vnm

Just got this, and trying it on the WM1AM2, it is working perfectly! This was an unexpected find at the HK AV show, as it was just released in July 2023, and I did not know that it existed. Works well, and is inexpensive.

RM3: WAKE FUNCTION:
The return button(next to the favorite button, above the volume button, wakes up the WM1AM2. The Home button will also wake up the Sony, and go to the home screen.
Turn on the mouse, and it will also wake up the Sony. Mouse function, and the 4 way pad works great.

The screen wakeup functions are not documented, but I was used to looking for functions from trying multiple BT remotes trying to find a good working one. Not every DAP responds the same, so trial and error is needed. So I am quite excited with the RM3, as it has everything I want, at an affordable price.
It is better than the Sony RMT-NWS20 for home use, which does not have a screen wake function. Though if you want a small size for mobile use, the NWS20 is better.

But for a smaller, cheap BT remote, that also works great, the link below is for a small round BT remote, with a wake function (long press of the Next Track button) that works on the WM1AM2.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...86260a0469db6aa66c0cecc1892&afSmartRedirect=y

RM3: BASIC FUNCTIONS:
Has the basic functions of:
- volume +- / play/pause / and previous track/next track
- Favorites button will add the track into favourites

Amazing that all the buttons/functions are useful and work, as other remotes I tried were spotty, and most did not have a screen wakeup function, which is super useful.

Uses 2 AAA batteries (which the user needs to provide, as there are no batteries in the package)

Fiio RM3: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

1691771373214.png

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #12,223 of 15,988
Aug 12, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #12,224 of 15,988
Do you recommend the Z7M2 with the WM1A and WM1AM2 daps? I listen to pure metal and rock

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back