SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jul 16, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #11,881 of 15,808
Jul 16, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #11,883 of 15,808
Given the amt of shock my original post is getting. :wink:
maybe i should document my madness so others would know it's not one should do/strive for.

WM1AM2 + Cleopatra II + IER-Z1R (i use RADIUS Deep Mount eartips)
Qobuz Streaming: 4.4 High Gain vol at 75
Default Sony Music Player with Hi-Res Tracks: 4.4 High Gain vol at 80-85

WM1AM2 + Kimber Kable (MUC-B20SB1) + MDR-Z1R (i used dekoni hybrid earpads)
Qobuz Streaming: 4.4 High Gain vol at 70
Default Sony Music Player with Hi-Res Tracks: 4.4 High Gain vol at 75

Jul 16, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #11,884 of 15,808
Definitely SONY IER-Z1R.

better demo first for Z1R for the fiting, don't blind buy.

same goes for the ier m9 and solaris og :)

I would recommend looking at the plunge audio unity as those are terrific for comfort

I'm using ie900 and u12t with 1zm2, I like how they sound, ie900 has such a great fit which I can wear duing sleep

IE600 and 64 Audio U4s are good options.

Thanks guys. I am actually reading up about the IER-M7 - as it is within budget. LOL
So far I've read that its a warm neutral sound, and the word "boring" came up as well - I am gonna demo it to see if its suitable

I do have the IE200 - IE600 was considered as well - however the recessed MMCX worries me slightly when it comes to cable upgrades
I am thinking of getting balanced cable for IE200 - just to see how it sounds on the Sony

Will definitely check out the rest which you guys have mentioned

Jul 16, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #11,885 of 15,808
Thanks guys. I am actually reading up about the IER-M7 - as it is within budget. LOL
So far I've read that its a warm neutral sound, and the word "boring" came up as well - I am gonna demo it to see if its suitable

I do have the IE200 - IE600 was considered as well - however the recessed MMCX worries me slightly when it comes to cable upgrades
I am thinking of getting balanced cable for IE200 - just to see how it sounds on the Sony

Check out Lavricables and Effect Audio. Their cables have mmcx connectors are designed to fit the IE600. This has been shown by several members in the IE600 forum on head-fi.

Jul 16, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #11,886 of 15,808

Check used prices for the IER-M9. They are made completely out of metal so hard to destroy and so a nice used product.

Reviews for the IER-M7 and IER-M9 vary quite a lot in quality. Ask 5 people, one will tell you that they are bright, the other that they are neutral, the next that they are bass boosted, the next that they have no soundstage, the next that they have insane soundstage.

The reason to this is that they are closed, like in completely closed. 100%, they don't have any vents. So if you use them with silicone eartips, the air in your ear has nowhere to go when you insert them and so you get issues with air pressure which instantly and greatly affect the sound (even long before you feel it, which makes some people think they have non).

And this is the reason for all this debate. The IER-M9 thread consists of almost 90% discussiosn about what tips are best to circumvent this and there have been only one answer so far, to use foam. So unlike you use them with foam, its almost impossible to know how they sound. And when you use them with foam, you have to take care to use a pair of foam, that do not heavily change their sound (there are very bad foam eartips).

But the IER-M7/9 are not shipped with foam in the first place which makes this whole situation just worse.

They are professional monitors tuned and used by musicians, so they do not color the sound. So why do people think they sound warm? Simple answer: most audiophiles think that a cold sound is neutral. Bass, especially mid bass, is bad and only for consumer products. Audiophiles hate and don't need mid bass (over exaggerated remark^^)

So as soon they listen to an product that has even the tiniest hint of midbass, they think its warm (while its actually dead neutral) and for a lot of people this less detailed. Because the human brain loves mid bass (that is why all instruments have a lot of it) and so hinders you to focus on details.

Jul 16, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #11,888 of 15,808
Hi everyone. Currently I'm using
pc(foobar2000)/ sony xperia 1ii(sony music center)>
dac>
amp>
iem/headphones/speakers

Will there be any differences if I replace my sources from pc/phone to a wm1am2? Thank you。
No. The WM1ZM2 is an portable amp. So it only changes the sound when you replace your current amp with it.

Jul 17, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #11,889 of 15,808
Do try this combo….

IMG_0509.jpeg

Jul 17, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #11,893 of 15,808
Yesterday i was listening the 1z m2 with a 40 euro headphones the AKG K52, what a sound my friends what a sound....
in my opinion source matters most, budget headphones and iems can sound incredible when paired well, when I tried etymotic er4xr from a perfect source it was seriously insane how well it sounded

Jul 17, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #11,894 of 15,808
in my opinion source matters most, budget headphones and iems can sound incredible when paired well, when I tried etymotic er4xr from a perfect source it was seriously insane how well it sounded
I do agree, cheaper buds sound great out of walkman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back