SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jul 14, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #11,851 of 15,608
It's all beautifully reasonable and logical.

I tried again just to be sure with the Ely 120/120 against 60/120 and... I don't have a SPL meter but it sure sounds just wrong from my standpoint.
It is wrong, i mentioned that. It was an simplification for the matter of demonstration.

Those are _not_ correct values. So to prevent any misunderstanding, i made these numbers (060/120 <--> 120/120 means 50%) up, just so its easy to compare.

The only numbers that are known for sure that correspond are 046/120 on High Gain and 068/120 on Low Gain, but those are not 50%. Those are the AVLS Limiter numbers.

So if you want to compare High Gain and Low Gain, you would have to compare 046/120 High and 068/120 Low. But as these numbers are way to high to listen to on 4.4mm Balanced that is hard to compare... and i am not sure if they are the same on single ended.

You can just enable AVLS, AVLS always limits to the same volume. So when you enable AVLS, you can be sure, that High Gain and Low Gain have the same volume, so its easy to compare.

the Walkman has 250mW on 4.4mm Balanced only(!). On 3.5mm single ended, it has 60mW (~1 Vrms)

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #11,852 of 15,608
No.

Not convinced: "I highly doubt that"

Try again.
Try again what?

I am not forcing anyone to learn how digital amps work. Its written on Wikipedia, i am reposting a watered down easy to understand version here but nobody is forced to understand. Some people even don't want to understand because it takes away part of the magic.

I am from germany, so i was born with freedom in religion. Everyone here is free to believe whatever he wants. That silver sounds clearer than copper, High Gain sounds better than Low Gain and so on. You are free to believe and discuss what you want. I am not forcing anyone to either stop that, nor change his opinion.

But because a lot of newbies are reading here too and/or people who might want to learn/understand, it is important to not proselytize others.

Don't force your personal believs onto others without clearly marking "This is my personal opinion, i don't know how it really works and i don't care" when someone seeks help in understanding these topics.

Everyone here has the right to get correct information that is based on science and actual facts and not this "My personal experience beats science" stuff, especially when talking about gear that expensive.

This religious mumbo jumbo is causing a lot of people to resignate and think that all audiophile gear is just scam. And this is not completely false. There is a _lot_ of scam. There are DAPs out there, that cost 300€ in production and sell for over 2500€, There are Earphone that cost 300-500€ in production and sell for over 5000€

People have the right to know what is based on facts and if we don't value that, they just loose the interest in audiophile products alltogether.

This is why ChiFi is so successfull. They tell the people "Hey, we have the exact same stuff for 10% of the price, don't get scammed" and people believe it while that is the actual scam, just because, when they ask for facts, they get no real answer.

Everyone who posts here on this public place has an responsibility because every post here can cause people to spend a lot of money.

There are so many people who shill the DMP-Z1 because they were just able to afford it without issues, and then people read that, think "Oh, that has to be the best" and maybe take a loan over 3 years and more (that actually happend, multiple times) because they want to buy once and wise and so want to get the best product.

Then they find out, that its not that simple and the DMP-Z1 might not be the best product for their usecase and then they are stuck with an "not the best" that they have to pay 3+ years for. And the people who have caused it don't even care. "Your problem when you're not rich"

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #11,853 of 15,608
Try again what?

I am not forcing anyone to learn how digital amps work. Its written on Wikipedia, i am reposting a watered down easy to understand version here but nobody is forced to understand. Some people even don't want to understand because it takes away part of the magic.

I am from germany, so i was born with freedom in religion. Everyone here is free to believe whatever he wants. That silver sounds clearer than copper, High Gain sounds better than Low Gain and so on. You are free to believe and discuss what you want. I am not forcing anyone to either stop that, nor change his opinion.

But because a lot of newbies are reading here too and/or people who might want to learn/understand, it is important to not proselytize others.

Don't force your personal believs onto others without clearly marking "This is my personal opinion, i don't know how it really works and i don't care" when someone seeks help in understanding these topics.

Everyone here has the right to get correct information that is based on science and actual facts and not this "My personal experience beats science" stuff, especially when talking about gear that expensive.

This religious mumbo jumbo is causing a lot of people to resignate and think that all audiophile gear is just scam. And this is not completely false. There is a _lot_ of scam. There are DAPs out there, that cost 300€ in production and sell for over 2500€, There are Earphone that cost 300-500€ in production and sell for over 5000€

People have the right to know what is based on facts and if we don't value that, they just loose the interest in audiophile products alltogether.

This is why ChiFi is so successfull. They tell the people "Hey, we have the exact same stuff for 10% of the price, don't get scammed" and people believe it while that is the actual scam, just because, when they ask for facts, they get no real answer.

Everyone who posts here on this public place has an responsibility because every post here can cause people to spend a lot of money.

There are so many people who shill the DMP-Z1 because they were just able to afford it without issues, and then people read that, think "Oh, that has to be the best" and maybe take a loan over 3 years and more (that actually happend, multiple times) because they want to buy once and wise and so want to get the best product.

Then they find out, that its not that simple and the DMP-Z1 might not be the best product for their usecase and then they are stuck with an "not the best" that they have to pay 3+ years for. And the people who have caused it don't even care. "Your problem when you're not rich"
"Shill the DMP Z1" "religious mumbo jumbo"

I quoted my source. If you are providing a Wiki translation service say that from the start. And put the link in.

Gain increases amplification using more energy. Run High Gain all the time and see how that impacts battery life....That extra energy is being aimed at your ears.

Jul 14, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #11,855 of 15,608
Just got WM1AM2 directly from Sony US. It's volume capped, I couldn't believe my ears. NW-A105 is much louder. We are talking 20-25 clicks difference. What a disappointment! On a positive note, I love its sound signature. Sending it back and ordering a Japanese version from eBay.
Before you order from eBay you might want to check B&H Photo. I bought my uncapped version from them. Free shipping for domestic US and no sales tax if you live outside of New York.

Jul 14, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #11,857 of 15,608
Just got WM1AM2 directly from Sony US. It's volume capped, I couldn't believe my ears. NW-A105 is much louder. We are talking 20-25 clicks difference. What a disappointment! On a positive note, I love its sound signature. Sending it back and ordering a Japanese version from eBay.
oh wow, US version can also have volume cap? How to tell without comparing to other Sony DAP? I thought the one with High gain gonna always without cap...

Jul 14, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #11,858 of 15,608
oh wow, US version can also have volume cap? How to tell without comparing to other Sony DAP? I thought the one with High gain gonna always without cap...

I think he means that indeed there is no high gain. If this is true, it might be that any newly produced units for the U.S. market have the cap whereas the old ones did not. I say this because we know that the 2023-release Walkman models don't have high gain in the U.S.

I'm just speculating based on what he reported. I have no confirmation that this is indeed happening.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #11,859 of 15,608
I think he means that indeed there is no high gain. If this is true, it might be that any newly produced units for the new market have the cap whereas the old ones did not. I say this because we know that the 2023-release Walkman models don't have high gain in the U.S.
Oh thanks for the info, I just purchased a new unit in US 2 weeks ago, and luckily it has high gain, I would have been more careful if I know US version could also have cap...
Mine come with a pretty small serial number 10002XX, so probably is a ealier produced unit

Jul 15, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #11,862 of 15,608
intrigued with the discussions on high gain on/off

think it comes down to the tracks you're listening to and your listening habits.
i have the wm1am2 with cleopatra II and ier-z1r
with high gain on and vol at 85. that seems to be the sweet spot for me on most tracks.

Jul 15, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #11,864 of 15,608
intrigued with the discussions on high gain on/off

think it comes down to the tracks you're listening to and your listening habits.
i have the wm1am2 with cleopatra II and ier-z1r
with high gain on and vol at 85. that seems to be the sweet spot for me on most tracks.
Balanced? If yes ....my God....

Jul 15, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #11,865 of 15,608
Okay I just did another test, this time I charged my 1zm2 to 100% then play local files with Hi-Res stream off direct source st low gain volumn 73 straight for 12.3 hours, and suprisingly got 69% battery left, so the total expected hours would be 12.3 / 0.31 = 39.6 hours, convinced :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back