SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 23, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #11,356 of 15,604
May 23, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #11,357 of 15,604
7 years ago I bought Sony MDR-1A's with unbalanced Kimber for my LG phone and Audioquest Dragonfly Red/Cobalt. I hated how it sounded and intended to sell the MDR-1A's, but they've sat in a drawer.

On my Walkman ZM2 I'm at 190 hours balanced, and wanted to start burning in the 3.5mm. Figured, what the hey, and tried the MDR-1A's with unbalanced Kimber. I am completely blown away with how this sounds. Might be the best combo I've ever heard. So effortless and light weight. I think I prefer them to my IER-Z1R's and MDR-Z1R's - for now.

I did not like the MDR-1A's initially, but I highly highly recommend them for the NW-WM1ZM2 :)

May 23, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #11,358 of 15,604
I should add that this sounds absolutely wonderful. I think this DAP has a wonderful mix of warmth with plenty of detail still.

I bought the U.S. version so that High Gain is enabled but it's really not necessary with the Empyrean or the Elites.

Battery life is a bit poor (I have disabled as many Google apps as I can) but it's good enough for me as I rarely use for more than an hour or so at a time and it turns off after a while to save battery.

The in-built Sony App sounds best (closely followed by the Qobuz and Tidal Apps) but then Roon and Roon arc are not bit perfect through Android.

Untitled.jpg

interesting what volume are you listening to? for local playback I have very good battery life

May 23, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #11,359 of 15,604
I wondered about the output power of the WM1AM2/WM1ZM2 with different loads, so I just calculated the following graphs for both the uncapped and capped versions. These are based on an output impedance of 1.2Ohms and 2.15VRMS max for the uncapped version and 0.2VRMS max for the capped version.
I've measured the VRMS values of both versions, and I found the output impedance in a technical review.

These are for the balanced output on both. Values will be quite similar for other Sony players. I may create a version for the 707 if anybody's interested as it has slightly higher output impedance. If anybody's interested I will also create versions for the single-ended outputs.

I went up to 80 Ohms on the x-axis, but the uncapped version should output 15mW into 300 ohms.

1684880822528.png

1684880856993.png

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #11,360 of 15,604
hi guys, does anyone know which company offers battery replacement and output repair for old wm1a/z model? I am located in US but wouldn't mind sending to anywhere else
Hi, IIRC there has been an offer for such service on Amazon, probably a US-based provider.

May you choose any provider, pls share your experience afterwards.

May 24, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #11,361 of 15,604
Liste
interesting what volume are you listening to? for local playback I have very good battery life
Listening between 70 and 76 volume. In the first hour I go from 100% to about 80%. I am using the balanced output.

This is with WiFi on as I'm using Roon but also Qobuz.

I suspect Android background apps and using WiFi are the issue. I should test the longevity with just with local playback and WiFi off.

I also just did the latest Sony software update so we'll see if that makes any difference.

I may factory reset and install apps via apkpure rather than using my Google account. It installed so much crap such as Gmail. Even though I disabled many apps I suspect it's Google draining it mostly.

May 24, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #11,362 of 15,604
Liste

Listening between 70 and 76 volume. In the first hour I go from 100% to about 80%. I am using the balanced output.

This is with WiFi on as I'm using Roon but also Qobuz.

I suspect Android background apps and using WiFi are the issue. I should test the longevity with just with local playback and WiFi off.

I also just did the latest Sony software update so we'll see if that makes any difference.

I may factory reset and install apps via apkpure rather than using my Google account. It installed so much crap such as Gmail. Even though I disabled many apps I suspect it's Google draining it mostly.
You can see what eats away your battery in the System Settings. I've seen that "what eats my battery" is a typical topic here, but the Walkman runs Android, so you can just see it by going into the Energy/Battery settings in the Android System.

There is this myth that Google Play Services use a lot of battery, but as an AOSP Developer who knows exactly how 100% Google Free pure Android perform, i can attest you that there is virtually no difference in a real world usage case.

You battery is most likely eaten away by Wifi+Roon+Qobuz. Especially Roon is known for eating batteries like nothing and turning Smartphones into pocket heaters.

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #11,363 of 15,604
You can see what eats away your battery in the System Settings. I've seen that "what eats my battery" is a typical topic here, but the Walkman runs Android, so you can just see it by going into the Energy/Battery settings in the Android System.

There is this myth that Google Play Services use a lot of battery, but as an AOSP Developer who knows exactly how 100% Google Free pure Android perform, i can attest you that there is virtually no difference in a real world usage case.

You battery is most likely eaten away by Wifi+Roon+Qobuz. Especially Roon is known for eating batteries like nothing and turning Smartphones into pocket heaters.
Absolutely. The battery life stated in the DAP's manual only refers to using Sony's own player, without running ANY additional app or different player ☝🏼

May 25, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #11,364 of 15,604
Hi, does anyone here uses their Wm1Am2 for a source in a car system ?
My car has a setup like this

Head unit > Audison Bit Nove 9 channel DSP > 4 channel goes in to an Brax amplifier then to front 2 way speakers , scan speak ring radiator tweeter and scan speak revelator Mid bass
> 1 channel goes to a rockford fosgate monoblock then to a JL audio subwoofer.

Anyway the stock headunit of my car doesn’t support carplay or android auto
So normally as a source i uses my phone via Bluetooth to the headunit which sounded “meh”

Now i want to try to use my Wm1Am2 as the source, plug it in directly to the DSP not the headunit.
The DSP has RCA input and also SPDIF optical input which I believe will sounded better ?

The question is:

- which one will give me better sound ?
RCA or SPDIF optical ?
- Can the Wm1Am2 outputs via SPDIF?
- if i choose the rca route, should i choose the 3.5 single ended or the 4.4 balance or can the Wm1Am2 output its music via the usb-c instead ? bypassing the internal DAC? Which i think will give me better results compared to using the 3,5/ 4,4 output ?

Thank you so much.

May 25, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #11,368 of 15,604
Hi, does anyone here uses their Wm1Am2 for a source in a car system ?
My car has a setup like this

Head unit > Audison Bit Nove 9 channel DSP > 4 channel goes in to an Brax amplifier then to front 2 way speakers , scan speak ring radiator tweeter and scan speak revelator Mid bass
> 1 channel goes to a rockford fosgate monoblock then to a JL audio subwoofer.

Anyway the stock headunit of my car doesn’t support carplay or android auto
So normally as a source i uses my phone via Bluetooth to the headunit which sounded “meh”

Now i want to try to use my Wm1Am2 as the source, plug it in directly to the DSP not the headunit.
The DSP has RCA input and also SPDIF optical input which I believe will sounded better ?

The question is:

- which one will give me better sound ?
RCA or SPDIF optical ?
- Can the Wm1Am2 outputs via SPDIF?
- if i choose the rca route, should i choose the 3.5 single ended or the 4.4 balance or can the Wm1Am2 output its music via the usb-c instead ? bypassing the internal DAC? Which i think will give me better results compared to using the 3,5/ 4,4 output ?

Thank you so much.
The WM1A Series DAP don't have an DAC, so there is no need to bypass the DAC.

If you car supports LDAC, i would highly recommend to just continue using Bluetooth and set it to highest quality.

If the car supports USB Output, just use that.

The Walkman outputs an Analog Signal, feeding that into an Audio System which converts it back to Digital and then again to Analog will reduce the sound quality.

So going straight via USB is recommended, but it makes no difference if you use your phone or the Walkman when you're using USB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back