SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 7, 2023 at 4:32 AM Post #11,253 of 15,604
Mine was way worse than yours - double of that width all around! Demo unit at the Sony shops looks exatly like that. Went to their Service Center to have it looked at, they said it doesn't impact usability of the device and if I wanted it replaced, I had to pay for it.....my OCDness can't handle it so I had it replaced. Now the new LCD doesn't have this at all.
You had to pay to get it replaced? I’m not happy about the halo - its a dap with Android and all the apps are supported which means videos etc - obv usability is impacted otherwise they wouldn’t put a large screen on it with Android OS. If my iPhone had this it would be completely unacceptable.

Also worried about resale value - it’s not exactly low budget

May 7, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #11,254 of 15,604
Mine is very very subtil, i dont see youtube videos on it , i have youtube off, it sounds absolutly awsome, thats what matter to me
20230503_183117.jpg

May 7, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #11,255 of 15,604
You had to pay to get it replaced? I’m not happy about the halo - its a dap with Android and all the apps are supported which means videos etc - obv usability is impacted otherwise they wouldn’t put a large screen on it with Android OS. If my iPhone had this it would be completely unacceptable.

I would find it 100% unacceptable given the value and cost of the unit

May 7, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #11,256 of 15,604
Just to clarify this only shows up if the screen has been off for some time. As soon as I start using it over say an hour it goes away almost completely if not completely. But it feels like it’s been getting progressively worse

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #11,257 of 15,604
if it's under warranty then no excuses for not assisting it , it's not normal operation of the lcd -and shouldn't be considered such ; I've had side screen backlight leakage on some phones but was not very evident ..and was not a 3000$ item!

I have a Jap version so if it should ever appear on mine , I would likely need to live with it - or go to Japan and ask repair under warranty ... : in this case I am pretty sure I would receive assistance and would find unacceptalbe the opposite .

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #11,258 of 15,604
if it's under warranty then no excuses for not assisting it , it's not normal operation of the lcd -and shouldn't be considered such ; I've had side screen black-light leakage on some phones but was not very evident ..and was not a 3000$ item!

I have a Jap version so if it should ever appear on mine , I would likely need to live with it - or go to Japan and ask repair under warranty ... : in this case I am pretty sure I would receive assistance and would find unacceptalbe the opposite .
Problem is that it solves itself with the screen being on for a bit, so Sony can just say it looks fine. If it happens continuously it’ll be much easier.

May 7, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #11,259 of 15,604

I would find it 100% unacceptable given the value and cost of the unit

Yep - had to pay for it. They had me at a somewhat disadvantage - my unit is a PH unit and I stay in SG - so technically for them, it's already out of warranty. (I know, it sucks!)

Maybe if I were talking to Sony PH, I would be able to push for an under warranty coverage replacement. But quite hard to drive a point with Sony SG - so I didn't bother pushing buttons and just opted to have it replaced - looks great now!

On a side note - I purchased my PH unit heavily discounted. So doing the maths for the LCD and back rubber cover replacement - what I paid in total was still under retail pricing, so I'm still happy with the end result.

May 7, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #11,260 of 15,604
Yep - had to pay for it. They had me at a somewhat disadvantage - my unit is a PH unit and I stay in SG - so technically for them, it's already out of warranty. (I know, it sucks!)

Maybe if I were talking to Sony PH, I would be able to push for an under warranty coverage replacement. But quite hard to drive a point with Sony SG - so I didn't bother pushing buttons and just opted to have it replaced - looks great now!

On a side note - I purchased my PH unit heavily discounted. So doing the maths for the LCD and back rubber cover replacement - what I paid in total was still under retail pricing, so I'm still happy with the end result.

How did the back rubber cover replacement work? You have to send the unit in? Mine has a slight production imperfection (not perfect alignment in one spot), probably not worth sending in for...

May 7, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #11,261 of 15,604
How did the back rubber cover replacement work? You have to send the unit in? Mine has a slight production imperfection (not perfect alignment in one spot), probably not worth sending in for...
The back rubber can be easily peeled off, and repositioned. It is held on by double sided tape. I've removed the back on my WM1Am2 a couple of times, when changing the internal 4.4mm socket wiring to the motherboard.
Insert a utility knife blade in a corner, and lift the rubber. Pull slowly/steadily, and the back rubber comes off. Then you can re-align it properly when putting it back on.

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #11,262 of 15,604
the IE200 sounds grand out of the AM2. Incredible synergy - leaves the Mojo 2/RME ADI 2 behind by a fair bit - both those make the Ie200 sound a little sharp and tiring. A little eq to drop the treble by few db in the top ranges and the Sony not only calms it down but gives it focus and huge soundstage.

* I did an fw upgrade to 1.06.01 today so not sure if that brought some sound improvements, could be placebo, as also my Andromedas seem to have gained more focus, detail and scale, also seems more organic flavour - it’s as if an “accuracy” switch has been turned on

I wouldn’t be surprised if we get fw sq jmprovements as the a306 dap was so botched on release with -10db bass cut, Sony completely fixed it with fw.

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #11,263 of 15,604

I assume the imperfect alignment was at the plastic area where the Walkman logo it at? Posted a photo of mine here... saw some demo units with also the same issue. Crap Sony - you are slipping 🤦‍♂️. Same case for this one - If I were talking with Sony PH, I would have definitely pushed for under warranty replacement.

Yes, had to send it in. Had it replaced together with the LCD.

May 7, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #11,264 of 15,604
That's really true. But, compared with the Onkyo DP-X1, the display of the M2 drains the battery excessively, too. Even if the brightness is slightly below 30. I hoped the M2 had a more advanced display regarding power consumption. Though, the M2's battery definitely lasts longer than the Onkyo's one.
@maddib
I own the Onkyo DP-X1 and listen to it through my Sony TAZH1ES amp and it sounds glorious. I am thinking about getting the M2 just because it is the matching player for the TAZH1ES. Do you think it would be a big difference in SQ?

May 8, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #11,265 of 15,604
I use my N2 directly connected with my IEM so, I can't tell how the difference would be using an amp here. Always also consider the headphones you use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back