SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 7, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #10,591 of 15,620
which takes longer to charge? how long does it take?
yes, it takes longer to charge as it is just 5w as compared to 20w. I can check the exact time and report back.
I do have a 20w Apple charger so can compare.

Mar 7, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #10,592 of 15,620
yes, it takes longer to charge as it is just 5w as compared to 20w. I can check the exact time and report back.
I do have a 20w Apple charger so can compare.
given that most of us use 20 to 80% battery, it is just 60% max that needs to be charged, which one can do overnight etc.

Mar 7, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #10,593 of 15,620
given that most of us use 20 to 80% battery, it is just 60% max that needs to be charged, which one can do overnight etc.
That’s right. I have battery care feature On so it goes till 88% and once it goes to 30 % or so then I put it in charge. Even with 5w I don’t think it takes much longer and in few hrs it is all set again.

Mar 7, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #10,594 of 15,620
Which slow charging brick is the best? There have been conversations about charging bricks here but they all involved fast charging ones like Apple or Anker chargers. I am interested to know which slow charging brick is the best. Would it Apple's one too?
5W Apple charger is good because it uses high quality electronic components, btw I always use a power bank (5W) to charge my Walkman since it will be automatically stopped when the Walkman reach 88% (battery care ON)

Mar 7, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #10,595 of 15,620
i am very interested how others manage their playlists in terms of avoiding duplications.

scenario:
- add 10 albums
- add 100 individual songs from previous playlists from other devices etc.
= some songs are doubled - 1x on an album, 1x as an individual song

so when scrolling across albums, one might see an album 2x - 1x the full album and 1x with only 1 song in it (which is a part of a playlist)

for an "optimized" playlist: on my laptop, i go into the sdcard, delete the single song, open the playlist file, search for this particular song and change the folder where this song is (from the individual song to the one in the full album).

is there a more efficient way?
There is no playlist for me.
I just add all the songs that I like in one folder and listen from there.
I might have different folders based on type of music.

Mar 7, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #10,597 of 15,620
any usb-a to usb-c cable to recommend? apple does not sell these :frowning2:
The one came from the Walkman? Btw, I also have some cables from ugreen and aukey, they are fairly good.

Mar 7, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #10,599 of 15,620
Which slow charging brick is the best? There have been conversations about charging bricks here but they all involved fast charging ones like Apple or Anker chargers. I am interested to know which slow charging brick is the best. Would it Apple's one too?
Some things to take note of, on the subject of using lower capacity chargers:

Low Power Charger:
- if the charger has the smarts built in to detect, and limit over current, so that it does not try to output more current than it can handle, and overheat, then it will limit the output current, and stay in a safe zone. It will be pushed to the limit of it's capacity, though, and will have less safety margin due to lower capacity components.
- if the charger is low quality, old, does not have effective, or no over current protection, then it could overheat, fail, and set itself on fire, and/or fry the device being charged. (you've seen these in the news). If the charger gets very hot, this would indicate that it does not have effective over current protection. This would create a very dangerous situation.

High Power Charger:
- modern QC/PD capable chargers have more capable and effective protection for over current/voltage, etc.
- they are engineered for higher capacity, so run cooler, and with a lot of safety margi, as most use is way below it's engineered capacity

So a modern, good quality High Output charger can be safer, and not overheat
If you intend to use a low power charger, be absolutely sure that it is high quality, has effective protection. And check that the device, and charger, does not overheat when charging from a low charge state

Mar 8, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #10,600 of 15,620

Low Power Charger:
- if the charger has the smarts built in to detect, and limit over current, so that it does not try to output more current than it can handle, and overheat, then it will limit the output current, and stay in a safe zone. It will be pushed to the limit of it's capacity, though, and will have less safety margin due to lower capacity components.
- if the charger is low quality, old, does not have effective, or no over current protection, then it could overheat, fail, and set itself on fire, and/or fry the device being charged. (you've seen these in the news). If the charger gets very hot, this would indicate that it does not have effective over current protection. This would create a very dangerous situation.

High Power Charger:
- modern QC/PD capable chargers have more capable and effective protection for over current/voltage, etc.
- they are engineered for higher capacity, so run cooler, and with a lot of safety margi, as most use is way below it's engineered capacity

If you intend to use a low power charger, be absolutely sure that it is high quality, has effective protection. And check that the device, and charger, does not overheat when charging from a low charge state
never had this issue of Apple 5W charger getting hot or walkman getting hot so I feel it is a safe charger to use.

Mar 8, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #10,601 of 15,620
I use all kind of chargers with Walkman, I don’t see any issues at all, slow or fast. If one do care about battery longevity, the noises from a charger can degrade the battery. But all Of the chargers are only about safety, speed and power, non of them cares about power ripples and noises …. Lol

Mar 8, 2023 at 12:53 AM Post #10,602 of 15,620
I use all kind of chargers with Walkman, I don’t see any issues at all, slow or fast. If one do care about battery longevity, the noises from a charger can degrade the battery. But all Of the chargers are only about safety, speed and power, non of them cares about power ripples and noises …. Lol
Yes I am concerned with battery longevity. Or should I?

Based on my observations with Apple's battery health, using a slower charger (specifically Apple 5w) will degrade the battery health slower. Would this apply to the AM2 too?

Is it easy to get a genuine battery for replacement and replace it (either myself or by Sony)

Do you have any recommendations for charger that have good power ripples and noises? Thanks !

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #10,603 of 15,620

Low Power Charger:

High Power Charger:

What if we compare two high quality chargers? (Fast charging vs slow charging (e.g. Apple 5w)) would it be better for battery longevity if we use the slow charging one ? Not sure if we are able to find any high quality low power charger these days though

Mar 8, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #10,604 of 15,620
What if we compare two high quality chargers? (Fast charging vs slow charging (e.g. Apple 5w)) would it be better for battery longevity if we use the slow charging one ? Not sure if we are able to find any high quality low power charger these days though
when it comes to samsung smartphones, it says: to protect the battery and have a longer overall usage, deactive superfastcharging 2.0 - which is 45 watt. this means slower = more battery care, right?

and when buying a modern, high quality charger, non of them have 5m max. It is only the old apple charger or the kindle charger that have 5w max.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #10,605 of 15,620
Charge current is not constant current, but is variable, and increases if the device has a low charge state. So if the device is at 20-30% charge, it will pull maximum current until around 70% charge, and then the charge current drops. The high current results in higher heat and more stress on the battery, so best to try to charge earlier.

I used to have the same concerns about high output chargers, that they would stress the device more, and avoided them.
But going by current experiences with high current smart chargers, and monitoring the devices, modern chargers handle the current and heat properly, and do not allow the device or charger to get too hot. So the concerns with the old generation of dumb chargers is no longer true, and I do not see any risk with using high quality/current chargers. After monitoring for awhile, I have switched over to High Current chargers.

Regarding LC (low current) or HC (high current charger)s that are both high quality, my personal gut feel is that it is safer using the HC.
- HC is operating in an idling state, with lots of headroom/capacity. It has a lot more capacity engineered in, than is being used
- LC is operating at max output all the time, uses lower capacity components, and depending on it's protection circuit to detect overcurrent/heat, and cap the current. My expereinces tell me to avoid this situation, where you are pushing equipment to it's limits consistently, and depending on the protection circuits to kick in and protect you.
- This will also likely have more noise, as it is operating at max, which stresses the filtering and regulation circuits.
- If using a 1A charger, the lower current may be better for the battery, but it may introduce other undesirables into the equation, like higher noise/ripple, when the charger is pushed to the max.
PLanning to have lots of reserve capacity remaining/on tap, with an overengineered charger, is better, safer, in general.
i.e. A car engine has a red line of 6,000 rpm. Would you run it at 6,000 rpm all the time? (of course some people would do that....)

Not allowing the device to get too low, before charging, so that High Current is not needed, is, I think, a better way to lessen the strain on the battery.
Using a device until the battery is at 20% - 30% and then charging with a Low Current charger is the worse scenario, to my thinking.

While a good quality Low Current charger will work, my experiences make me avoid situations where I need to push a device to it's max all the time. I cringe at the thought. That is why I personally prefer High Current chargers, and totally stopped using low current chargers.

But that is just me.

Bottom line, it is a personal choice, as either can work. Just make sure to use high quality chargers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back