SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 15, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #10,216 of 15,604

brief comparison between the 507, 707 and 1AM2.

in summary, details, coheiveness, separation, soundstage, are all according to the hierarchy.

Considering the industry and by reference reviewers all need to convince us to keep buying and pay more. :smile:

Even those that spend more themselves have to convince themselves of the cost outlay :wink:

A got my A307 3 days ago and like it so much I sold my 1AM2 yesterday, but then I only use easy drive IEM's. I'm downsizing.

Feb 15, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #10,217 of 15,604
Does it happen with other IEMS/headphones? Also did a reset make a difference?
I have not tried it with other cables yet as I do not have another set of 4.4 cables but I will try it with my 1000xm5's in the other port and see if I have the same problem. if it is the same I will do a reset and see if that helps.

thank you.

Feb 15, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #10,218 of 15,604
we are talking about $900 vs $1400 product. So, the difference in SQ wont jump out.
Also, WM1 came up with new cool internals for music playback so they priced it to recover RnD cost as well and 707 which is launched 10-12 months later is just reusing those internals and hence are priced lower.
Also, I guess the battery is better in WM1AM2? not sure if precision clocks, capacitor, internal wires, soldering material are all same in but still there is no gigantic difference in price considering one product is launched a year after the launch of 1st one.

Feb 15, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #10,219 of 15,604
To each his own.
One person sold his IE900 in Favour of a $40 Chi-Fi IEM(QKZ HBB Khan).
Do what makes you happy.

Feb 15, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #10,221 of 15,604
Considering the industry and by reference reviewers all need to convince us to keep buying and pay more. :smile:

Even those that spend more themselves have to convince themselves of the cost outlay :wink:

A got my A307 3 days ago and like it so much I sold my 1AM2 yesterday, but then I only use easy drive IEM's. I'm downsizing.

Blimey Psikey, I thought the WM1AM2 was a keeper for you! The ZX707 certainly has me intrigued. The WM1AM2's bulk was always something I've had to get used to compared to my ZX1, but does sound so good

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #10,222 of 15,604
Blimey Psikey, I thought the WM1AM2 was a keeper for you! The ZX707 certainly has me intrigued. The WM1AM2's bulk was always something I've had to get used to compared to my ZX1.

I just can't hear the differences some seem to do with higher end DAP's and after importing a Japanese 64GB NW-A307, and after spending a couple week listening to my 1AM2 with just its 3.5mm I couldn't say I heard such a difference to keep a large/heavy DAP over a tiny pocket friendly one that has a quicker OS and now long battery (unlike the A105/ZX507). 1AM2 is warmer/smoother/lusher than the A307 but not a game changer to me for keeping.

I couldn't really hear much difference using 1AM2 with 3.5mm vs 4.4mm with my easy drive IEM's either. Got a good price for it too as having a Japanese 1AM2 is very saleable in UK with no fear of extra import charges by importing.

Don't get me wrong, in no way am I saying the A307 matches the 1AM2 and it has balanced if needed with much more power. The A307 has a 4-port 3.5mm for balanced earth anyway (using 4.4mm balanced to 3.5mm balanced adapter).

There is some strange stuff going on with some peoples A306/307 but fortunately mine is perfect (no lower bass issue)

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #10,223 of 15,604
It uses an Li-Po Battery instead of an Li-Ion and modern Li-Po Batterys are so good, there is pretty much nothing to worry about anymor
The official tech doc for the AM2 says it has a Li-Ion battery, not a Li-Po.

Feb 15, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #10,225 of 15,604
I can see people preferring the ZX700 & A300 series compared to 1AM2. Even though there's a step up in resolution, soundstage, etc., it will not be significant, especially when one wants portability or cost savings or both.

I've Hiby RS2 which is nearly 3x less expensive than 1AM2. RS2 sounds almost close to 1AM2 giving it a good run for its money. And very small and light compared to 1AM2.

But RS2 doesn't do streaming and that's where the ZX700 & A300 series would matter to keep it smaller and less expensive while having streaming features.

If you've Cayin N6ii + R01 (R2R) or Hiby RS2 (No streaming capabilities) or Hiby RS6, I wouldn't see anyone opting for 1AM2 as it doesn't bring anything new/significant in the sound department.

1AM2 is definitely a lot better than 1AM1. I couldn't get along with 1AM1 and settled for a used 1ZM1 which I still use. Even though larger, 1AM2 is easy to handle with one hand and doesn't feel heavy in the hand.

Feb 15, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #10,226 of 15,604
I can see people preferring the ZX700 & A300 series compared to 1AM2. Even though there's a step up in resolution, soundstage, etc., it will not be significant, especially when one wants portability or cost savings or both.

I've Hiby RS2 which is nearly 3x less expensive than 1AM2. RS2 sounds almost close to 1AM2 giving it a good run for its money. And very small and light compared to 1AM2.

But RS2 doesn't do streaming and that's where the ZX700 & A300 series would matter to keep it smaller and less expensive while having streaming features.

If you've Cayin N6ii + R01 (R2R) or Hiby RS2 (No streaming capabilities) or Hiby RS6, I wouldn't see anyone opting for 1AM2 as it doesn't bring anything new/significant in the sound department.

1AM2 is definitely a lot better than 1AM1. I couldn't get along with 1AM1 and settled for a used 1ZM1 which I still use. Even though larger, 1AM2 is easy to handle with one hand and doesn't feel heavy in the hand.

Hiby is solid but it's not very polished. lots of glitches, runs warm, things like that. I have not used the RS6 but I use the R6 second generation as my ultra portable setup with IEMs.

I think the Sony is a much more premium product. I've not had any issues with unexpected shut downs, running hot, etc.

It's almost like the difference between getting takeout from a restaurant versus dining in. It gets you 80% of the way there but that last 20% has that extra refinement that you really appreciate.

Feb 15, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #10,228 of 15,604

I think this totally depends on how good your Headphones or Earphones are.

I doubt that anyone with an IER-M9 would say, that the WM1AM2 is not an significant upgrade over the ZX707.

But if you don't hear an difference between the RS2 and the WM1AM2, there is of course no need to upgrade at all. you should first invest into better headphones/earphones before investing into more expensive DAP.

Feb 15, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #10,229 of 15,604
I've 64Audio A18t and few other TOTL IEMs. and I've spent hours and hours on these iems listening to the my collection of songs. I've 1ZM1 which I've used for many, many hours.

Even though there's a step up in resolution, soundstage, etc., the total sound improvement isn't something that makes me totally ditch the other DAPs in my collection. Yes, compared to 1AM1, it is a significant upgrade. I might ditch Lotoo 6000. But not Cayin N6ii + R01 (R2R) or Hiby RS2.

Please listen to RS2, if you haven't had a chance. the first 200 hours was nothing much. But after that, it was too good. I didn't honestly expect it to be that good.

Feb 15, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #10,230 of 15,604
The official tech doc for the AM2 says it has a Li-Ion battery, not a Li-Po.
I was pretty sure i've read Li-Po somewhere. As Li-Po Batteries are Li-Ion batteries (the correct term is Lithium-Ion Polymer), Sony might just call them Li-Ion batteries. They did this in the past with Smartphones too. Some Xperia Models have (i opened one myself) Li-Po Batteries but the Website stateted Li-Ion.

But maybe i just mixed things up and it really are Li-Ion batteries... the Walkman do not produce much heat so not sure if there really would be an benefit to Li-Po. I remember something similar with the Nintendo Switch where even the Battery itself stated Li-Ion but it was developed by an company that does only produce Li-Po and they also sell replace batteries for the Switch which say Li-Po (all other data is identical).

But no matter if normal Li-Ion or Li-Po, i am pretty sure there is no reason to worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back