SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 4, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #10,081 of 15,710
Quite enjoying the retro cassette tape animations.. thought they were annoying at first, but given the thought that's gone into selecting each type depending on the music is quite special...

They look great. Silly question - how do you even get to these on the unit? And can they be used when streaming too?

Feb 4, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #10,082 of 15,710
Well, I've finished my 100 hours of DSD remastering with sharp roll off, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Took me four weeks of evening and weekend listening.

Words that come to mind to describe the sound are 'smooth' and 'deep', also 'non fatiguing'. Switching back to Direct, the soundstage is much wider and unapologetic, feels more 'correct'. With DSD remastering, it feels like an advanced form of Noise Reduction with a bit of Mega Bass, smooth and fun. Really enjoyable for long sessions.

Thankfully, I prefer Direct. I stayed on sharp roll off for about two minutes before trying slow again, and I'm home. More quiet, and far louder than DSD remastering, and fuller with slow roll off.

And, as a bonus, I get back 5 times the battery life. I would almost consider using DSD remastering more if not for the insane battery consumption. %16 per hour vs %3 per hour. And the heat produced from DSD remastering - wow.

Also, I have no real reason to complain about 'the cap'. I can't comfortably go above 52 on low gain in IER-Z1R's. 63 with MDR-Z7M2's.

Anyways, Direct with slow roll off Rocks!
Happy Saturday :)

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #10,084 of 15,710
Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #10,085 of 15,710
Well, I've finished my 100 hours of DSD remastering with sharp roll off, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Took me four weeks of evening and weekend listening.

Words that come to mind to describe the sound are 'smooth' and 'deep', also 'non fatiguing'. Switching back to Direct, the soundstage is much wider and unapologetic, feels more 'correct'. With DSD remastering, it feels like an advanced form of Noise Reduction with a bit of Mega Bass, smooth and fun. Really enjoyable for long sessions.

Thankfully, I prefer Direct. I stayed on sharp roll off for about two minutes before trying slow again, and I'm home. More quiet, and far louder than DSD remastering, and fuller with slow roll off.

And, as a bonus, I get back 5 times the battery life. I would almost consider using DSD remastering more if not for the insane battery consumption. %20+ per hour vs %4 per hour. And the heat produced from DSD remastering - wow.

Also, I have no real reason to complain about 'the cap'. I can't comfortably go above 52 on low gain in IER-Z1R's. 63 with MDR-Z7M2's.

" I have no real reason to complain about 'the cap'. "
The Audio Cap affects crowded noisy places , no amount of noise cancellation will cancel out noisy places and makes music unbearable to listen to in my music experience ,
I use Direct Source Only on my Japan WM1A M2
I Play my Music Loud my Brain Vibrates HA HA

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #10,086 of 15,710
" I have no real reason to complain about 'the cap'. "
The Audio Cap affects crowded noisy places , no amount of noise cancellation will cancel out noisy places and makes music unbearable to listen to in my music experience ,
I use Direct Source Only on my Japan WM1A M2
I Play my Music Loud my Brain Vibrates HA HA
Well I do want the full 120/120 on low gain for when I try to line out. Sounds fantastic!

Feb 4, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #10,087 of 15,710
My 1AM2 can't drive Arya V2 sufficiently. I tried that combo just once,to see how it goes.
Stick to IEMs and very efficient Headphones. I enjoy the HiFiMan HE-R9 with the 1AM2.
Capped or uncapped version?

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #10,089 of 15,710

And, as a bonus, I get back 5 times the battery life. I would almost consider using DSD remastering more if not for the insane battery consumption. %16 per hour vs %3 per hour. And the heat produced from DSD remastering - wow.

Where do I find this Sharp Roll Off filter settings in my 707?

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #10,090 of 15,710
Where do I find this Sharp Roll Off filter settings in my 707?
It’s in the settings “Filtering during DSD playback”
Go to DSD Remastering -> settings and there you will find it.

Feb 4, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #10,091 of 15,710
What are these BTW? I’m new to Sony DAPs.

BB088B5D-FA79-4923-AF50-21297EB336CC.jpeg

Feb 4, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #10,092 of 15,710
Feb 4, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #10,093 of 15,710
What are these BTW? I’m new to Sony DAPs.

I made a note on all these during my ZX300 days, have to find it. General SQ of each, there is subtle but distinct difference each will show mostly in bass

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #10,094 of 15,710
I made a note on all these during my ZX300 days, have to find it. General SQ of each, there is subtle but distinct difference each will show
I don’t find them to noticeable change much, but once you combine a few I start to notice things. Could just be my ears and IEM

Feb 4, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #10,095 of 15,710
I don’t find them to noticeable change much, but once you combine a few I start to notice things. Could just be my ears and IEM
I use with all other settings like Arm resonance in Vinyl etc and makes for subtle change in bass characteristic this DC phase setting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back