SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 15, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #9,466 of 15,611
Still rocking' my beloved NW-ZX300 that I honestly didn't care about other DAP's in the meanwhile and I missed out these new Walkmans.... glad that Sony is still making these although they are Android-based... is WalkmanOs still used or they have decided to let it die?

Jan 15, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #9,467 of 15,611
What is the likelihood of damaging sensitive gear during plugging/unplugging on a non-relay ZX series Walkman? I suppose it’s extremely unlikely to happen?

Though I wonder how much of these unwanted electromagnetic/driver microphonic energy gets entered back into ZX707 s-master hx balanced port when the amp is idling or shutdown with the jack plugged in, will there be any short term residual effect or long term consequences from this?
Those will have to have transistors based relays, which doesn’t have the advantages of the mechanical relays, though still having all the protections needed

Jan 15, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #9,469 of 15,611
The relay is to work together with plug detections to realize which plugs are used, and which circuits should be enabled, balanced/single, and also disengage plugs as soon as possible to avoid shorting out between L+/L-, R+/R-, due to the nature of cylindrical plugs, when you pull it out, these terminal will temporarily be shorted out. To be able to disengage as soon as possible will prevent this which May lead to further damaging…mainly sensitive gears

There are 2 choices to have, using FET, or using mechanical relays. The ”One” series is a flagship with dedications and design come to mind, the body chassis is large enough to enable hosting the mechanical relay. Beside that mechanical relays will only have mechanical sound when turning on and off rather than a ripple within the electrical signal which cause “pops” on your IEMS or headphones when turned on.

Least and not last, the mechanical relays are designed for signals integrity and reliability in mind, the legs and conductors are made of pure silver, not jus the typical brass with gold plate. The ZX2 also had mechanical relays

Why no grounding on balanced ? Because the balanced output is full bridge class D, which is using ground as a Neutral reference while positive voltage is fed toward the “two” sides of the signals, which means it is amplifying a full 180 phase continuously with the usage of only 1 single rail of voltage supply. Therefore, if the Ground references has any slight differences, it will result in a differences in the amplifications and voltage supply behaviors. Most specifically is when plugging in, you will hear the noises which is due to the “Short circuit temporarily” between polarities. If you are also using a shielded cables with this ground connected, your cables will act as an antenna, which attract EMI/RFI, and then being drained, negated by the main circuit, which would cause ripples, different behaviors of the References plane (Ground) and related toward the amplifications circuitry. Then again, mostly observed is the ”Noises”. Keep in mind, Class D is very very very “Noisy” by nature, hence to design a high-end which is worthy of “High-res” certifications is not cheap, nor Easy.

Why is the Ground on SE working just fine ? Because it is a part of the amplification and not just a Neutral references anymore. It is now acting as a Neutral Negative return for all signals path, and because it is now a part of the amplification processing, every noises would be filtered out, while still “being effected by all the mentioned above”, the effects is negligible and not as significant as if it was on balanced. The SE is using a Half Bridge amplification implementation, which is totally independent of the Balanced out.

All of these, should be explained to you, the consumers, from the “vendors” who is selling “GroundEd adapters”, and or Cables vendors. They may be too busy caught with something else, and I have seen such questions unanswered for a while. I think this post will answer them, if not most of them
@Whitigir
Thank you as always for the wealth of information. Think we have all learned a few things. I know I have.

I have a WM1ZM2 coming from Japan and have looked at the headphone grounding adapter (PW-Audio,DDhifi) and still not sure why or what it is supposed to help or improve. As explained I understand how Sony have implemented their Balanced and SE outputs so why would we want to circumvent it?

Attachments

• 20230115_115332.jpg
    20230115_115332.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Jan 15, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #9,471 of 15,611
@Whitigir
Thank you as always for the wealth of information. Think we have all learned a few things. I know I have.

I have a WM1ZM2 coming from Japan and have looked at the headphone grounding adapter (PW-Audio,DDhifi) and still not sure why or what it is supposed to help or improve. As explained I understand how Sony have implemented their Balanced and SE outputs so why would we want to circumvent it?
I guess because people demand it ? Beside, there are line out cables that is under standard configuration that has ground connections from 4.4-XLR kinda cables. In this case, people would want to see all of them to be connected ?

Jan 15, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #9,472 of 15,611
I guess because people demand it ? Beside, there are line out cables that is under standard configuration that has ground connections from 4.4-XLR kinda cables. In this case, people would want to see all of them to be connected ?

From a practical standpoint the only use for the ground connection would be to prevent ground loops when connecting wired to desktop equipment. This isn't an issue for portable devices.

Jan 15, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #9,473 of 15,611
From a practical standpoint the only use for the ground connection would be to prevent ground loops when connecting wired to desktop equipment. This isn't an issue for portable devices.
That is accurate ! There are sometimes you may have to lift the ground to prevent that loop as well

Jan 15, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #9,474 of 15,611
Still rocking' my beloved NW-ZX300 that I honestly didn't care about other DAP's in the meanwhile and I missed out these new Walkmans.... glad that Sony is still making these although they are Android-based... is WalkmanOs still used or they have decided to let it die?
There isn't any WalkmanOS based device anymore.
But coming from a ZX300 you'll get: a tremendous jump in SQ, a USB-C port instead of the proprietary walkman port and a search function :wink:

Jan 16, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #9,475 of 15,611
@Whitigir

One thing the grounder adapter helps with is when connecting to an additional amount, say portable tube amp, and then low impedance iems from the tube amp. Adapters such as these help get rid of/reduce the noise/buzzing introduced to the low impedance iems from the tube amp.

Jan 16, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #9,476 of 15,611
One thing the grounder adapter helps with is when connecting to an additional amount, say portable tube amp, and then low impedance iems from the tube amp. Adapters such as these help get rid of/reduce the noise/buzzing introduced to the low impedance iems from the tube amp.
+1, The ground adapter or cable really helps in reducing noise from external amps (both portable and desktop)

Jan 16, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #9,477 of 15,611
Managed to pick up an uncapped WM1AM2 for retail price from a UK based reseller, should be here on Tuesday, really looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Currently reading through all the 632 pages on this thread and the Optimization Guide thread.
There are more steps you can take to improve your Walkman’s offline playback sound quality. When you Walkman arrives do, just drop me a pm, I will provide you with the tips.

Jan 16, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #9,478 of 15,611
There isn't any WalkmanOS based device anymore.
But coming from a ZX300 you'll get: a tremendous jump in SQ, a USB-C port instead of the proprietary walkman port and a search function :wink:
I think it is very myopic to disregard a dap based solely on the operating system. Many of the other daps are also running some form of android based operating systems, and all of them also are able to deliver great sound quality. Also if you follow the optimization guide, you can noticeable improvement its performances.

The amount of technical hardware improvements and sound processing algorithms developed by Sony for their WM1M2 has already far exceeded what was offered in their ZX300/WM1 Linux based Walkman.

The biggest improvement on this current generation of Sony products is the presentation of live-like acoustical soundstage and extremely pin point accurate imaging of instruments and vocals. This is a very substantial improvement for music enjoyment as music no longer feels just enclosed inside your head but has much expanded sound fields that feels much more comfortable to listen for much longer sessions.

Jan 16, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #9,479 of 15,611
Someone on here mentioned they bought a WM1AM2 on e.earphone.

When I visited their website they mentioned they do international shipping so does this mean we don't need a forwarding service to the UK?

Also what was the total cost with Shipping/Duties/Taxes all put together?

Jan 16, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #9,480 of 15,611
Someone on here mentioned they bought a WM1AM2 on e.earphone.

When I visited their website they mentioned they do international shipping so does this mean we don't need a forwarding service to the UK?

Also what was the total cost with Shipping/Duties/Taxes all put together?

Where did you see that they do international shipping?
Not that I'm aware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back