SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 11, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #9,241 of 15,612
ZX707 uses the same kind of capacitor as WM1xM2 but it has less amount than the M series, and it does not use mechanical relays. Besides that, it seems that other parts like inductor, resistor, solder, ... are the same too.

Jan 11, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #9,243 of 15,612
Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #9,244 of 15,612
Jan 11, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #9,245 of 15,612
How can one be contented with just one single device, especially given that no current audiophile equipment is able to reproduce the recorded music file perfectly.

Although recently I have discovered a major source of bottleneck that affects the sound quality of the Walkman. Once this is removed from your walkman, the soundstage depth will improve by a significant margin(although everything else in the chain has to be optimal). It is a free(no money involved) software based tweak but it does involve spending time and more resources to accomplish.
im interested...

Jan 11, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #9,246 of 15,612
Tanaka: With the evolution of the "NW-ZX707" so far, it seems that many people are wondering which one to choose from the high-end model "NW-WM1AM2". First of all, if you value high sound quality above all else, I would like you to choose "NW-WM1AM2". The sound quality of the NW-ZX707 is comparable to that of its predecessor, the NW-WM1A, but the NW-WM1AM2 goes even further.

On the other hand, "NW-ZX707" is a versatile model. I want to enjoy high-quality sound features such as balanced connection, DSD native playback, and DSD remastering engine, but I want to keep the size and weight as small as possible and carry it easily, and I'm worried about cost performance. It is a product that will help you. The ZX507 series has received many requests for battery life, which has been greatly extended, so you can enjoy music streaming services with peace of mind on the go. We hope that even those who have never used a Walkman before will give it a try.

https://www.sony.jp/feature/product...tm_source=001&s_pid=jp_/walkman/zx707_feature

Jan 11, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #9,247 of 15,612
Question, why are we talking about the 707 here, doesn't it need its own thread?
Just curious how the difference between the new brother 707 and M2 series

Jan 11, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #9,248 of 15,612
Just curious how the difference between the new brother 707 and M2 series
The key difference is the SOC chip: NXP i.mx8m plus for M2, QCS4290 for ZX707 and QCS2290 for A300
https://www.hayaponlog.site/entry/2023/01/11/182515

For general computing performance, the ZX707 is probably two times more faster than M2 and this likely is about 20 to 30 percent more power efficiency for low processing music playback.

But the NXP has an integrated NPU which should be better(both performance and battery) than the Qualcomm SOC’s Hexagon DSP for DSEE Ultimate AI upsampling.

I think when you start to use Hi-Res streaming mode and other DSP that requires computational processing, the 50% smaller 1500mah battery of the ZX707 will start to run out of battery fast, no matter how much more power efficient the Qualcomm is.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #9,249 of 15,612
The key difference is the SOC chip: NXP i.mx8m plus for M2, QCS4290 for ZX707 and QCS2290 for A300
https://www.hayaponlog.site/entry/2023/01/11/182515

For general computing performance, the ZX707 is probably two times more faster than M2 and this likely about 20 to 30 percent more power efficiency for low processing music playback.

But the NXP has an integrated NPU which should be better(both performance and battery) than the Qualcomm SOC’s Hexagon DSP for DSEE Ultimate AI upsampling.

I think when you start to use Hi-Res streaming mode and other DSP that requires computational processing, the 50% smaller 1500mah battery of the ZX707 will start to run out of battery fast, no matter how much more power efficient the Qualcomm is.
yes, they are differences in the digital section, I just listed the differences in the amp section.

Jan 11, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #9,250 of 15,612
seems like there’s a difference in the battery impact between the M2 and ZX707

M2 Walkman:
  • The battery life may become about 60% shorter when some of the sound adjustments are active.
  • The battery life may become about 20% shorter when the [High-Res streaming] function is active.
https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwwm1m2/v1/en/contents/TP1000521634.html

ZX707:

• The battery life may become about 50% shorter when some of the sound adjustments are active.
  • The battery life may become about 40% shorter when the [High-Res streaming] function is active.

https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/1302/v1/en/contents/TP1000752531.html

Jan 11, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #9,251 of 15,612
seems like there’s a difference in the battery impact between the M2 and ZX707

M2 Walkman:
  • The battery life may become about 60% shorter when some of the sound adjustments are active.
  • The battery life may become about 20% shorter when the [High-Res streaming] function is active.
https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwwm1m2/v1/en/contents/TP1000521634.html

ZX707:

• The battery life may become about 50% shorter when some of the sound adjustments are active.
  • The battery life may become about 40% shorter when the [High-Res streaming] function is active.

https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/1302/v1/en/contents/TP1000752531.html
I know this has been discussed before, but with high-res streaming on what does it do. I don't stream and have all my music on an SD card. Some kind of surround effect? Why would they call it "high-res streaming" if it had an effect on music you don't stream?

Jan 11, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #9,252 of 15,612
I know this has been discussed before, but with high-res streaming on what does it do. I don't stream and have all my music on an SD card. Some kind of surround effect? Why would they call it "high-res streaming" if it had an effect on music you don't stream?
I am only speculating, trying to think of an analogy that may give an illustration on how enabling a DSP option can change the end result, even if that option is not used.
1. think of a lineup to process your license renewal. Just a single line, so nothing else to worry about
2. now think of 3 lines, which process for different options. You go to the 1st line, which sends you to the 2nd, which sends you to the 3rd, which is the one you want. The actual work for the 1st and 2nd line is zero.

So logically speaking, the results of example 1 and example 2 are identical. But the extra steps involved with example 2 do have an effect on the user, even if the end result is the same for both examples.

Any change can involve extra overhead, and unintended consequences.

Jan 11, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #9,253 of 15,612
Incoming from Japan:

SONY NW‐WM1ZM2 Gold Walkman High Gain 256GB Signature Series Android11 Brand New
MTSD1T0AKC7MS 1TB SDXC Micro SD Micron with adapter

And for the Walkman a 2-year drop/theft etc., accident protection from Allstate, which means they have to get me the money back as I can't see them even attempting to repair it if there are any issues, just a 2-year warranty on the SD card as it was an extra 20 dollars - probably not needed, but to have one finger to point if there are any issues on this I figured was a safe bet considering all of that combined was cheaper than getting the walkman alone from a US dealer.

It should be here in about 14 days.

Jan 11, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #9,254 of 15,612
Incoming from Japan:

SONY NW‐WM1ZM2 Gold Walkman High Gain 256GB Signature Series Android11 Brand New
MTSD1T0AKC7MS 1TB SDXC Micro SD Micron with adapter

And for the Walkman a 2-year drop/theft etc., accident protection from Allstate, which means they have to get me the money back as I can't see them even attempting to repair it if there are any issues, just a 2-year warranty on the SD card as it was an extra 20 dollars - probably not needed, but to have one finger to point if there are any issues on this I figured was a safe bet considering all of that combined was cheaper than getting the walkman alone from a US dealer.

It should be here in about 14 days.
there's no case on the Japanese version is there, correct? I've seen some use the plastic case/protector is that preferred over a good leather one, or more for looks? As I got the extra protection I am not that concerned, but I want to try and keep it from scratching too much.

Jan 11, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #9,255 of 15,612
I know this has been discussed before, but with high-res streaming on what does it do. I don't stream and have all my music on an SD card. Some kind of surround effect? Why would they call it "high-res streaming" if it had an effect on music you don't stream
As Crinnacle would say in his Japanese iem impression video: Japanese Quirkiness

Just be glad that Sony didn’t force enable this surround processing down your throat but allow the more knowledgeable audiophiles a choice between these two sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back