SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Dec 13, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #8,581 of 15,612
6A8E5783-B60A-459C-9BF5-CA5D5D05FA66.jpeg

🥳🥳😈👩‍🎤🥰 whoooooohooooo!!!!

Dec 13, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #8,582 of 15,612
Letting DSD Remastering burn in some more. Initial listen did not wow me.
DSD mode is playing at a lower loudness so you have to increase the volume if you are comparing to PCM modes.

Also I think it requires a little bit of brain readjustments. Both @osiris1 and myself had to listen for sometime (for me it took about 1hour) before it wowed us. I think our brains have been attuned to the splashier dynamic sound of PCM which appears to have more resolution, but as you listen to dsd more, you will find that music is much more detailed and enjoyable and that less is more.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #8,583 of 15,612
Ths thing is, the sounds of the cymbals on the Sony is very much affected by the DSP settings, there’s big differences between the cymbals sound on dsee ultimate over direct source. Also we have recently discovered that dsd filtering mode Sharp roll off and slow roll off affects pcm playback, that setting will also affect how cymbals sound.

Though to me, I find Sony cymbal sound reproduction to be on the less fatiguing side. It’s not the most sharpness rendition out there but I think it is intentionally cut down by Sony.

Frankly I find Chord to be tiring to listen to, the cymbal transients are too forceful for my liking.

Problem is the Sony sound starts with bit of dirt in treble.. its like making soup with too much salt, you can add some sugar to try and counter the saltiness, and can even make it sweet, but you'll never be able to remove the salt - so no matter how much DSP is applied, it can't counter the root of the problem, it can only try to hide it but it'll always be there.

Dec 13, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #8,584 of 15,612
Sorry I think that’s the only app I know which had support for the Sony Android walkman. Though I think the Sony’s upsampling is well implement enough to be near transparent, using dsee ultimate may even make streaming music sound better with the right pairing of iem/headphone.
Yes, it does sound awesome as is, the Sony house sound. Wondered how it would play in a bit-perfect mode on the streaming side. Perhaps someone is going to figure that one out.

Dec 13, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #8,586 of 15,612
UAPP Bit Perfect streaming works with me
on Sony AM2 without problem .

Neutron works also (at least on the ZX500) using either direct or offload driver settings. Red audio path was verified with logcat.

Dec 13, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #8,587 of 15,612
Problem is the Sony sound starts with bit of dirt in treble.. its like making soup with too much salt, you can add some sugar to try and counter the saltiness, and can even make it sweet, but you'll never be able to remove the salt - so no matter how much DSP is applied, it can't counter the root of the problem, it can only try to hide it but it'll always be there.
Well if you don’t like Sony’s sound it’s time for you to sell the Walkman and move on to other products? There’s nothing to see here once you decide it is inferior to Hiby RS6.

Dec 13, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #8,590 of 15,612
Wondering what's goign on? Mine installed and said Android: 44.1 kHz . . . I tried it on my Samsung phone and had the screen like yours, Direct 44.1 kHz. Asked the developer for help. They responded promptly and said, "Thank you for contacting us. It won't work on the NW-WM1ZM2. We can only offer a refund . . . "

Dec 13, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #8,591 of 15,612
Besides the preference for sound taste and plenty of hours usage, in my use-case, the reason why I choose 1A as my main source is that:
- It still has enough power to drive any IEMs I have tried, and it has a perfect black background for the most sensitive IEMs such as 64Audio Trio (just 5.5 Ohms), and Campfire family.
- For headphones that need more power, just add an amp to the walkman. It improves at least 2 things: the power and sound (depends on the amp now). Walkman uses a digital amp so it easily connects to an external amp without noise (connect to 3.5 GND too).

Dec 13, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #8,592 of 15,612
Thoughts on the pw audio ground pin adapter for the nw-wm1am2? Is it worth the upgrade if I only own the am2, not the zm2? Do people hear an audible difference when paired with high end IEMs and high end cable?

Dec 13, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #8,593 of 15,612
Wondering what's goign on? Mine installed and said Android: 44.1 kHz . . . I tried it on my Samsung phone and had the screen like yours, Direct 44.1 kHz. Asked the developer for help. They responded promptly and said, "Thank you for contacting us. It won't work on the NW-WM1ZM2. We can only offer a refund . . . "
Seems like UAPP developer removed ZM2. Here is what they said, "All Sony DAPs are problematic with UAPP. Due to a user's experience with
the NW-WM1ZM2 in the past, we decided to remove it from the list of supported devices. . . "

Dec 13, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #8,594 of 15,612
Just upgraded 1TB to my sony wm1am2 i had since launch day here in our country. Glad i went with this dap, hopefully can last for several years like my wm1a. Still the perfect combo of streaming and offline music for me, and of course just love that Sony house sound… i expect this second gen to be like the first gen; many daps will come and go, offer more features, better technical capabilities, but at the end of the day, the wm1am2 will still be the best sounding portable … i always get to hear some new daps as i live near the audio store in our country, and needless to say this second gen is a keeper :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back