SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Dec 2, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #8,161 of 15,558
Dec 2, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #8,162 of 15,558
Thanks.
I'm tempted to try Swissbit. :)
No doubt that the Swissbit costs about 2x more than regular consumer microsd cards, but you have to consider that industrial microsds like the Swissbit comes with advanced error correction system designed for mission critical applications like in Banking, Medical and Military Applications where Bit Errors or Data Transmission Delay issues is totally unacceptable, as it can be the difference between life or death situation. And in our audiophile application, we would also want our music data bits stored inside the microsd card to be transmitted to our dacs/dap in absolute "bit perfect" & timing perfect conditions as well.

The Swissbit is equipped with a more powerful 120 bit LDPC Error Correction Algorithm which allows it to detect and correct multi-bit error. The consumer grade microsd either doesn't have ECC or doesn't use as powerful algorithms.

https://www.atpinc.com/blog/ldpc-ssd-low-density-parity-check-ecc-algorithm

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #8,164 of 15,558
No doubt that the Swissbit costs about 2x more than regular consumer microsd cards, but you have to consider that industrial microsds like the Swissbit comes with advanced error correction system designed for mission critical applications like in Banking, Medical and Military Applications where Bit Errors or Data Transmission Delay issues is totally unacceptable, as it can be the difference between life or death situation. And in our audiophile application, we would also want our music data bits stored inside the microsd card to be transmitted to our dacs in absolute "bit perfect" conditions as well.

The Swissbit is equipped with a more powerful 120 bit LDPC Error Correction Algorithm which allows it to detect and correct multi-bit error. The consumer grade microsd either doesn't have ECC or doesn't use as powerful algorithms.

https://www.atpinc.com/blog/ldpc-ssd-low-density-parity-check-ecc-algorithm

I also believe in microSD cards affecting sound quality. Years ago I was able to blindly compare my Sandisk Ultra to a Samsung Evo Plus - and the Evo Plus wins in the blind test. The Ultra just sounded "rough". So if this Swissbit card can do better than the Evo Plus, I'm willing to try it as well.

What's part number would you recommend? I see 2 S-55u, one with an "I" other one "E" on the part number (only difference I can tell is the minimum operating temp).

Dec 2, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #8,165 of 15,558
Please do compare with the M2 internal memory as well.
Yeah, I usually compare directly to onboard and take notes, it makes comparison a lot better IMO depending on the load time / time to swap cards.

Swissbit looks like its limited to 128GB?

Dec 2, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #8,166 of 15,558
Yeah, I usually compare directly to onboard and take notes, it makes comparison a lot better IMO depending on the load time / time to swap cards.

Swissbit looks like it’s limited to 128GB?
Swissbit S-55U is limited to 256GB. It is using a Micron 3D TLC nand die.

Dec 2, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #8,167 of 15,558
I also believe in microSD cards affecting sound quality. Years ago I was able to blindly compare my Sandisk Ultra to a Samsung Evo Plus - and the Evo Plus wins in the blind test. The Ultra just sounded "rough". So if this Swissbit card can do better than the Evo Plus, I'm willing to try it as well.

What's part number would you recommend? I see 2 S-55u, one with an "I" other one "E" on the part number (only difference I can tell is the minimum operating temp).
Both the I and E cost almost the same. I went for the I version since it has the lower minimum operating temperature. Not sure if there is any technical difference between them.

Dec 2, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #8,169 of 15,558
I would recommend for those sharing their findings on the various microSD cards to include their internal storage results as well. As the internal storage of the m2 would serve as a useful baseline sound quality reference point for other M2 Owners who are interested in knowing more.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #8,170 of 15,558
https://myreadingroom.online/en/play/technology/hardwaremag/RmgQMk3N/360-audio-and-the-sony-sound

So 360RA on headphones functions with 13 virtual speakers. I am guessing it’s 11.2 (2 subwoofers)

With headphones we typically only think of two channels – Left and Right. How many channels can we achieve with 360 Reality Audio?

Nageno:
Logically, any number. It’s just software. But typically, we choose 13 virtual speaker locations. 360 audio content format is just object-based, so the sound location can be any place. Each vocalist and each instrument has its own place and soundtrack, so sound location can be any place.

Speaker location is different for each customer in the real world, but for headphones case, 13 locations are virtually defined so first rendered to 13 speakers, than binaurally to two ears. 13 is a good balance between audio quality and transmission requirements, so it’s enough good, but still operable to create a full sphere of audio.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #8,171 of 15,558
Hello ducnsh,

No I haven't touched the "Media Volume", Could I ask how I should set this, say all the way to the right (i.e. "max"), or somewhere between the far right and far left, or I should set this whilst I'm listening to the streaming?

Appreciates your advice.

Thanks
From my understanding, you should set this setting to the max value and then let volume be controlled via the system (+ - button on the device). After setting that, the loudness between streaming applications and offline files played by the walkman application should be the same.

Dec 2, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #8,172 of 15,558
Hello ducnsh,

No I haven't touched the "Media Volume", Could I ask how I should set this, say all the way to the right (i.e. "max"), or somewhere between the far right and far left, or I should set this whilst I'm listening to the streaming?

Appreciates your advice.

Thanks
My question is really about the media volume affects what stage of the E2E signal chain?
My guess is that this is a digital control of the incoming streaming signal strength prior to reaching the DSP and converter, if so then would turning up this media volume lead to an output to DSP reaching 0 dBFS? If so than the subsequent signal passing to the amp section may clip.
Is my understanding correct /makes any sense? or its just doesn't matter and one just can adjust the medium volume to whatever position to ones' liking and the resultant SQ will not suffer a bit?

See if someone like to enlighten me on this topic ..

TIA

Dec 2, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #8,173 of 15,558
My question is really about the media volume affects what stage of the E2E signal chain?
My guess is that this is a digital control of the incoming streaming signal strength prior to reaching the DSP and converter, if so then would turning up this media volume lead to an output to DSP reaching 0 dBFS? If so than the subsequent signal passing to the amp section may clip.
Is my understanding correct /makes any sense? or its just doesn't matter and one just can adjust the medium volume to whatever position to ones' liking and the resultant SQ will not suffer a bit?

See if someone like to enlighten me on this topic ..

TIA
It’s very simple. Software mixers does it by mathematically reducing the amplitude of original PCM data. It does not amplify signals, meaning at 100% software mixer volume, the pcm data is not mathematically altered. At 50% Software mixer volume, your 90db recorded sine wave is mathematically recalculated to 45db sine wave. So you should always set software mixers to 100% and use the hardware volume controls if it exist.

At the DSP side, they use higher precision calculation bits, usually 32bit, 48bits or 64bits internally to do the signal processing thus clipping won’t occur if the DSP programmer is competent enough.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #8,174 of 15,558
I think I have come to a conclusion on choosing which DSP to use for the WM1AM2.

DSEE Ultimate and DSD Remastering Mode both sound great from enjoyment factor point of view.

DSEE Ultimate has stronger, faster transients, more layering, more surround effect, more pin point accurate imaging. Music has beat and tempo, or what audiophiles commonly refer to as PRaT(Pace, Rhythm, and Timing).

DSD Remastering has a more smoother and more incremental feel to it's transients and better continuity to the flow of the music. There's something very alluring about the sound of DSD specifically on this Sony Walkman, which makes you want to turn on DSD Remastering, as there's a feeling of harmony and serenity when listening to this DSP.

I would recommend to use DSD Remastering mode for when you want your music to relax your mind while DSEE Ultimate is recommended when you want your music to entertain your mind.

Also in my opinion, this new DSD Remastering mode is really a strong reason for those still on ZX2, ZX300, ZX507, WM1Z or WM1A to upgrade over to the M2 Walkmans. A new type of music enjoyment experience for sure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back