SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Dec 2, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #8,146 of 15,672
Have you checked the "Media Volume" inside Setting > Sound? This setting affects to streaming applications
Hello ducnsh,

No I haven't touched the "Media Volume", Could I ask how I should set this, say all the way to the right (i.e. "max"), or somewhere between the far right and far left, or I should set this whilst I'm listening to the streaming?

Appreciates your advice.

Thanks

Dec 2, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #8,147 of 15,672
I said the same thing a couple of weeks ago, you need to quote me as original source or I will sue you. :)
Ok I am going to give you a quiz:

What is an over glorified pc sound card slapped into a luxury watch-grade chassis material, with a pseudo-analog volume wheel that changes loudness via software based digital volume control, with foobar2000-like open-sourced type of DSP functions?

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #8,148 of 15,672
Ok I am going to give you a quiz:

What is an over glorified pc sound card slapped into a luxury watch-grade chassis material, with a pseudo-analog volume wheel that changes loudness via software based digital volume control, with foobar2000-like open-sourced type of DSP functions?
Wouldn’t priced as much as $3.6k right ? off the shelves and battery last 8 hours ?

Dec 2, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #8,149 of 15,672
Wouldn’t priced as much as $3.6k right ? off the shelves and battery last 8 hours ?
Sony also uses AKM chips but unlike the quiz, Sony re-engineers the entire hardware using Hi-fi grade components and advanced DSPs to make a unique product and not just an over-glorified y2k-era mp3 player circuitry and components slapped inside a premium chassis.

https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/dmp-z1-interview

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #8,150 of 15,672
Sony has been working on recreating the original sound since 1999, though the concept was too way ahead of its time. Electronics switching speeds and digital processing isn’t fast enough back then.
8413A5C7-BBC3-422D-9BDF-1955750667DF.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #8,152 of 15,672
Quick comparisons notes jotted down when reviewing PWAudio's Monile cable with 64 Audio's U6t (M15 and MX module):
  • ZX507: More low-end, more intimate with mids/vocals more up-front
  • WM1AM2: Bigger soundstage, mids/vocals more recessed
  • WM1AM2: More organic, natural sounding
  • ZX507: Tough to beat at current price
I was positively surprised at how good the ZX507 sounded compared to the WM1AM2.
Both are uncapped, set in high-gain, direct sound on, latest firmware.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #8,153 of 15,672
Quick comparisons notes jotted down when reviewing PWAudio's Monile cable with 64 Audio's U6t (M15 and MX module):
  • ZX507: More low-end, more intimate with mids/vocals more up-front
  • WM1AM2: Bigger soundstage, mids/vocals more recessed
  • WM1AM2: More organic, natural sounding
  • ZX507: Tough to beat at current price
I was positively surprised at how good the ZX507 sounded compared to the WM1AM2.
Both are uncapped, set in high-gain, direct sound on, latest firmware.
I had uncapped ZX507 and liked everything about it other than battery life as I use Streaming Music service.

I'm keen to see the ZX707 even though I have an M2, but supposedly battery no better as same size being reported in ealy info.

Dec 2, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #8,154 of 15,672
I had uncapped ZX507 and liked everything about it other than battery life as I use Streaming Music service.

I'm keen to see the ZX707 even though I have an M2, but supposedly battery no better as same size being reported in ealy info.
Yup, the form factor of the ZX507 is splendid and Sony’s no-BS UI is miles ahead of everyone else’s. Little to no streaming on my end so battery life is a-ok as of this writing.

Dec 2, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #8,155 of 15,672
@andrewski

We got a new Swissbit S-55U owner joining us soon. My lucky friend who got his 1AM2 replaced to 1ZM2 has ordered the swissbit after doing his own comparison between his current sandisk extreme pro vs his home cctv’s Samsung Evo card. With the Evo card, he can hear a bit of distortion at the high end and the warmth production is subpar.

I told him that the distortion at the high end he hears is something that is completely absent with the Swissbit, so let‘s see how the swissbit will sound with his wm1zm2 + focal utopia once it arrives.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #8,156 of 15,672
@andrewski

We got a new Swissbit S-55U owner joining us soon. My lucky friend who got his 1AM2 replaced to 1ZM2 has ordered the swissbit after doing his own comparison between his current sandisk extreme pro vs his home cctv’s Samsung Evo card. With the Evo card, he can hear a bit of distortion at the high end and the warmth production is subpar.

I told him that the distortion at the high end he hears is something that is completely absent with the Swissbit, so let‘s see how the swissbit will sound with his wm1zm2 + focal utopia once it arrives.
Does Swissbit sound even better than internal storage?

Dec 2, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #8,157 of 15,672
Does Swissbit sound even better than internal storage?
Yes without any doubts on my end.

Overall the Swissbit has a more lively and cleaner(transparency wise) presentation than the 1am2 internal storage.

If compared to consumer grade microSD, the Swissbit will make 1AM2 free from the grain/FM radio-like distortion on consumer microSD for those who can notice it.

The 1am2 internal storage I feel actually sounds very good, it doesn’t have the audible FM like radio distortion and does have quite a good bass thump.

However when I compared the swissbit and internal storage side by side(using the same music files copied on to both swissbit and internal storage and both added to a single playlist), the livelier more holographic imaging, extension of high end frequency reproduction of the swissbit will make the 1am2 internal storage sound slightly more duller and overall slightly less engaging to listen.

DSEE Ultimate with the Swissbit also has more solid spatial sound imaging especially for vocals as the already super black background feels even more pitch black which makes the vocals even more standing out.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #8,158 of 15,672
Yes without any doubts on my end.

Overall the Swissbit has a more lively and cleaner(transparency wise) presentation than the 1am2 internal storage.

If compared to consumer grade microSD, the Swissbit will make 1AM2 free from the grain/FM radio-like distortion on consumer microSD for those who can notice it.

The 1am2 internal storage I feel actually sounds very good, it doesn’t have the audible FM like radio distortion and does have quite a good bass thump.

However when I compared the swissbit and internal storage side by side(using the same music files copied on to both swissbit and internal storage and both added to a single playlist), the livelier more holographic imaging, extension of high end frequency reproduction of the swissbit will make the 1am2 internal storage sound sightly more duller and overall slightly less engaging to listen.

DSEE Ultimate with the Swissbit also has more solid spatial sound imaging especially for vocals as the already super black background feels even more pitch black which makes the vocals even more standing out.
Thanks.
I'm tempted to try Swissbit. :)

Dec 2, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #8,159 of 15,672
I've got Extreme Pro and Micron now. I'll be doing an a/b on M2 and DMP when I get home next week, see if Micron is worth the money or not...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back