SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Nov 23, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #7,951 of 15,611
although there is one feature that Sony removed which I really missed and that’s Sony’ sensme

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SensMe

It allowed for the picking of computer generated playlist based on your mood.

It took a long time to analyse the tracks back in the ZX2 Walkman(hours to days depend on the size of your music). But given that the new M2 is running a much faster SOC and not to mention now we are in the era of AI neutral processing, I would think that analysing tracks on the modern M2 hardware would be a fraction of the time it takes vs the ZX2.
Ooh, I've got that on DMP and was tempted to scan my library. Do you know how effective / good it is?

Nov 23, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #7,952 of 15,611
Ooh, I've got that on DMP and was tempted to scan my library. Do you know how effective / good it is?
In my opinion, It worked extremely well for me back when I was using the ZX2 Walkman. The mood of the generated playlist matched accordingly. A very well implemented unique system that I believe only a few companies like Sony is able to produce with such amazing results.

Nov 23, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #7,953 of 15,611
In my opinion, It worked extremely well for me back when I was using the ZX2 Walkman. The mood of the generated playlist matched accordingly. A very well implemented unique system that I believe only a few companies like Sony is able to produce with such amazing results.
Awesome. Yeah, seems like a great feature if it works well, keen to find out now!

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #7,954 of 15,611
If you remember the days when Made in Japan meant cheap, low quality goods? Japan managed to reverse that image by a lot of hard work.
China is going through the same thing.

Every striving nation/economy follows the same model, as they try to lift themselves up. And success is never assured, even if willing to commit a lot of hard work and sacrifice.

The industrialized nations enrich themselves through this economic model, and is the creator and supporter, and benefactor of the model, where work is outsourced out of the country for maximum profit, and local businesses steadily shrink. The world is not driven by altruism, but by the cold logic of profit and greed.

The problem is that most of that "Hard work and sacrifice" China has made in the past few decades is now being rolled back by the CCP and Xin Jinping whom has rolled back the free market freedoms China has enjoyed for the past two decades or so. He consolidated power, locked down multiple provinces, the housing market is in disarray, the population crisis due to one child policy is coming home to roost causing sharp population collapse and thus due to all of these factors the economy is going back to the Communist days. Sadly China is no longer in position to innovate, which is partly why they're hellbent on invading Taiwan. I'd have a Japanese or a South Korean electronic product over a Chinese one any day of the week. Just sayin'

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #7,955 of 15,611
I did, and gotta import from Japan too :)…no stock to get here and I got tired of waiting. Time is gold lol
I bet that by buying in Japan at their MSRP, you saved a chunk of money compared to the MSRP in your home country if there had been any stock and you had bought at the local MSRP.

Nov 24, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #7,956 of 15,611
yeah, I would prefer a made in Japan too. My MDR Z1R really bother me when I bought it 3 years ago first hand, one headphone connector is looser than the other side noticeably, I swap cable, still the same, but the sound is still ok, I used deoxit gold on it to maximize the contacts. And the box latch is slanted with one screw loosen, i tighten it, realize the thread is widened. Maybe I should have just return it, im just the type who accept things so long the main product works fine. It still works fabulously now, but it makes a dent on my impression of made in Japan, I would give them a benefit of doubt. Anyway, the upcoming Yamaha Yh 5000 really make my heart thumping, lol.

Nov 24, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #7,957 of 15,611
yeah, I would prefer a made in Japan too. My MDR Z1R really bother me when I bought it 3 years ago first hand, one headphone connector is looser than the other side noticeably, I swap cable, still the same, but the sound is still ok, I used deoxit gold on it to maximize the contacts. And the box latch is slanted with one screw loosen, i tighten it, realize the thread is widened. Maybe I should have just return it, im just the type who accept things so long the main product works fine. It still works fabulously now, but it makes a dent on my impression of made in Japan, I would give them a benefit of doubt. Anyway, the upcoming Yamaha Yh 5000 really make my heart thumping, lol.
That's sad to hear but I am pretty sure that this is an exception.

I've not read similar cases yet and my MDR-Z1R as is close to perfection as possible. It's now more than a year old and still looks like fresh from the factory.

I made very good experience with made in Japan products so far, but I doubt that the Made in China/Thailand/Whatever products from Sony are worse. I assume they all have the same quality standards and for some products, it just doesn't matter at all there they are made because it's 100% machines anyway.

The drivers from Sony for example are made in Japan, but does it really matter where this fully automated machine is placed?

Nov 24, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #7,958 of 15,611
Japan is facing the same thing that the rest of the world is facing.
Their experienced craftsmen/workers are aging, and being replaced by a current generation of workers who do not have the same experience, motivation, and attention to detail.

Mainly, less of the willingness/discipline to spend the time and labor needed to become good at their craft. Few are willing to spend years in an apprenticeship.

Every craftsman needs to go through years of sometimes boring work, and the current generation does not have the patience for that. The previous generation did not have a choice, and were happy to have the opportunity to work to acquire a trade. Today's generation is too used to immediate gratification, and do not buy into the belief of "work hard, and you will be rewarded in the future". Along with this dilution of people with skills, the craftsman's pride in their work is also fading.

In today's world, if you find a craftsman (anywhere), you are fortunate, so support and help them, as there are less and less of them.

Just an observation. I don't have any answers.

Nov 24, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #7,959 of 15,611
All I know is Japanese are really masters at minimalism

Just compare:

Sony M2 Walkman:

Sony_NW_WM1ZM2_NW_WM1AM2_3-1024x576.png

Fiio M17

5123814.jpg

Ibasso DX300:

11631332.jpeg

viDf0RRv-dYJvMy8dosvjd9nFZYFgvIK0VMq_rr11JwBSzXrkxmk__gqkbee-xkfUPo

A&K SP3000:

b13728839aae993fc4ed0b21debc16a4.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #7,960 of 15,611
By the way, still I would not trade anything for my MDR Z1R, it's like part of me, I can walk around with ZM2 in my house, such a good combo. I can only imagine anything better would be a good open back headphone or a Taz M2. Chord Ultima is way out of my league, hehe. Maybe .........

Nov 24, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #7,961 of 15,611
I'm so looking forward to getting my AM2 modded. I cannot stop listening to my FW10000 from the single-ended output of AM2. I like it far more than P6pro!
4.4mm out of AM2 did not pair well with FW10000.

Nov 24, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #7,962 of 15,611
All I know is Japanese are really masters at minimalism.
Well, the design of especially Fiio and iBasso is a disaster.:scream: A&K is "only" tragedy bordering to disaster. :sob:
This might explain why many TOTL DAPs of other manufacturers than SONY are more expensive than the SONY ones. Stuffed with a zillion of electric components. :joy:

Nov 24, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #7,965 of 15,611
All I know is Japanese are really masters at minimalism

Just compare:

Sony M2 Walkman:

Sony_NW_WM1ZM2_NW_WM1AM2_3-1024x576.png

Fiio M17

5123814.jpg

Ibasso DX300:

11631332.jpeg

viDf0RRv-dYJvMy8dosvjd9nFZYFgvIK0VMq_rr11JwBSzXrkxmk__gqkbee-xkfUPo

A&K SP3000:

b13728839aae993fc4ed0b21debc16a4.JPG
I am interested in seeing more of sp3000 pictures. Do you have more ?
By the way, still I would not trade anything for my MDR Z1R, it's like part of me, I can walk around with ZM2 in my house, such a good combo. I can only imagine anything better would be a good open back headphone or a Taz M2. Chord Ultima is way out of my league, hehe. Maybe .........
I know Yamaha , they are very different than MDR Z1R :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back