SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Nov 14, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #7,636 of 15,589
100% agreed, which one would we pick vs which one an Apple user would pick? They wouldn't even have a socket to plug the cheap looking gold IEM into. :)

1668345971023.png

I actually am part of two groups: I am deeply embedded in the Apple ecosystem and almost exclusively use Apple products. I actually recently bought a pair of Airpods Pro 2 as they offer me the best combination of convenience, (thanks to the uber-tight hardware-software integration) and somewhat decent SQ (I am actually surprised that the APP2 sound much better than what I was expecting). On the other hand, I also find a lot of utility from using wired IEMs/headphones, hence my continued fascination (and use) of a Sony DAP that seems anachronistic.

Personally, I don't see much tension between two groups (unless of course each starts imposing its own views on the other).

Nov 14, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #7,637 of 15,589
Well there people who uses AirPods with their WM1ZM2

Maybe there are people out there who use the M2 Walkman to play mobile games but who are we to question what they want to do with their devices.

Like when an Indian ruler has actually used a Rolls Royce as a road sweeping vehicle

Nov 14, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #7,638 of 15,589
I agree. I have kept it on since @Sonywalkmanuser showed this improved the sound on my ZX507, and now I also keep High-Res streaming ON with my 1AM2. It does burn battery faster, but it’s not as bad on the 1AM2 with the bigger battery compared to the ZX507.
The hi-res streaming mode was introduced about 6months in a firmware update after the ZX507 launch.

I think the spatial sound enhancement has gone through quite alot of refinement since the time of zx507’s firmware update introduction. It used to sound alot more artificial(as in having unauthentic feeling in the soundstage) when it was first released on the ZX507. Future zx507 firmware updates afterwards had this artificialness reduced by alot.

I feel that this spatial sound enchancement on the firmware 1.03 Sony M2 Walkman has already reached a point where it’s no longer sound intrusive to my ears and has become very natural sounding.

I think with the advent of Artificial Intelligence, what people used to think is impossible to be done by computers/processing has already been resolved. I supposed a Paradigm shift in thinking is required for what signal processing is able to do in the age of AI. No longer is it about pre-programmed fixed function algorithm blanket style processing of the entire sound spectrum but AI trained models that produces very varied outputs that takes into account the various aspect/properties of the input material(like object oriented programming) and the amount of training done by the AI.

This video is rather long but if you are interested, it explains how the AI is able to separate out music elements(which is the basis upon how DSEE ultimate is able upscale different instruments concurrently in the real-time):

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #7,641 of 15,589
Sony already has 3D Audio processing capabilities since the designing of PS5:
tempestengine.webp

According to the PlayStation 5’s technical director Mark Cerny, the real challenge in developing the Tempest Engine (and by extension, 3D audio) was ensuring that it sounded great on all ear shapes and sizes.

Cerny and co. set out to develop a method to measure various shapes and sizes of ears and how they react to different types of audio. The Head Related Transfer Function or HRTF is a process within the Tempest Engine that was purpose-built for this exact reason.

There’s a lot of technical stuff as to how they made this work, but I will keep it pretty simple in this article.

Sony fixed many microphones inside of people’s ears and exposed them to sounds from a setup of 22 individual speakers while rotating the person. With the data that they received from the microphone, Sony was able to accurately measure how sound works in a multitude of different ear types. According to Cerny, this meant that they were able to render audio at an unparalleled quality.

https://thegamingsetup.com/ps5/buying-guides/3d-audio

Also the ZX507 received 360RA logo certification only after a firmware update which saw the headphone app being bundled together in the firmware(previously you had to download the Sony headphone app from Google AppStore separately)

Nov 14, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #7,642 of 15,589
Sorry for my ignorance on the topic, but I get a clicking noise when I plug in headphones and unplug them. This also happens on the initial playing of a song and shortly after I stop playing music. I did a search in the thread and found some previous discussion on the topic, but is this to be expected or should I look into replacing the unit? I am still in the return window at the moment.

Nov 14, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #7,643 of 15,589
Sorry for my ignorance on the topic, but I get a clicking noise when I plug in headphones and unplug them. This also happens on the initial playing of a song and shortly after I stop playing music. I did a search in the thread and found some previous discussion on the topic, but is this to be expected or should I look into replacing the unit? I am still in the return window at the moment.
Totally normal, its mentioned in Sony's feature list too. There is a mechanical relay contained within that clicks from time to time. In this case return it if it stops clicking. :wink:

I think the relay is only on the balanced output side though

Nov 14, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #7,644 of 15,589
Totally normal, its mentioned in Sony's feature list too. There is a mechanical relay contained within that clicks from time to time. In this case return it if it stops clicking. :wink:

I think the relay is only on the balanced output side though
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I’ve only noticed on balanced. Guess I skimmed a bit more than I thought when I was reading through it.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #7,647 of 15,589
@Whitigir

By digging the web, I discovered that there’s much more Sony audio AI research and development that is on going. Although I cannot verify or confirm if these technologies made its way into the M2 Walkman, these information about Sony AI only goes to show that Sony does have a lot more black magic in it’s arsenal when it comes to audio technology:

Sony’s Sound Localization AI won first prize in a competition:
https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/technology/activities/DCASE2021/

Sony has won the first place in the Task 3 category of DCASE 2021. The world's largest international competition for the detection and classification of acoustic scenes and events.

The goal of Task 3 (Sound Event Localization and Detection with Directional Interference) is to recognize individual sound events of specific classes, by detecting their temporal activity and estimating their location in the presence of spatial ambient noise and interfering directional events that do not belong to the target classes.
4AB803BD-6300-4303-9657-516C9F046E9E.jpeg

I would imagine that this sound localization AI tech would allow the stereo to binaural upmixer to place the sound source seperated instrument at the correct virtual speaker positions.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #7,648 of 15,589
Walkman from more than 10years ago. Still looks so cool today. Sony nails it when it comes to making timeless designs.
Sony_MZRH1_1.jpg
30 years ago I was rocking this every day to and from school, then again at night when I was meant to be sleeping....

Screenshot_20221114-190901_Edge.jpg

That evolved into a discman, can't remember which one then in 2000 I handed over my own cash for another flagship back in the day. Ended up leaving it in the back of an airplane seat a few years later which moved me onto my 1st ipod classic (gen4).

Screenshot_20221114-191716_Edge.jpg

Pre dating all of those was my father's OG walkman which I'm pretty sure he's still got sat on the top shelf of his wardrobe including the leather case!

Screenshot_20221114-192021_eBay.jpg

Nice little bit of portable Sony nostalgia! Sorry for the derail, let's get back to current gen!

20221110_081826.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #7,650 of 15,589
@Whitigir

By digging the web, I discovered that there’s much more Sony audio AI research and development that is on going. Although I cannot verify or confirm if these technologies made its way into the M2 Walkman, these information about Sony AI only goes to show that Sony does have a lot more black magic in it’s arsenal when it comes to audio technology:

Sony’s Sound Localization AI won first prize in a competition:
https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/technology/activities/DCASE2021/

4AB803BD-6300-4303-9657-516C9F046E9E.jpeg

I would imagine that this sound localization AI tech would allow the stereo to binaural upmixer to place the sound source seperated instrument at the correct virtual speaker positions.
That is why gaming with ps5 is amazing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back