SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Nov 8, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #7,351 of 15,619
Just had a strange experience with my 1am2. Suddenly my left iem stopped playing. Unplugged the cable and heard a connection noise. Plugged it back in, works perfectly fine. Did this twice in a row and hasn't happened again. Anyone else experienced this or have any idea what it could've been?

I have a somewhat similar experience with my then-WM1A (volume level was audibly lower in the other side). The 4.4mm jack was "relatively loose" (if i move the plug from side to side, i can see that the jack moving as well). It didn't happen each time i plug my IEMs but if and when it happens it's pretty unnerving.

Haven't experienced the same with my WM1AM2 so far. If anything, there very minimal side-to-side movement with the jack (and it takes more effort to unplug the cables from the WM1AM2).

Hope that helps.

Nov 9, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #7,355 of 15,619
I have a somewhat similar experience with my then-WM1A (volume level was audibly lower in the other side). The 4.4mm jack was "relatively loose" (if i move the plug from side to side, i can see that the jack moving as well). It didn't happen each time i plug my IEMs but if and when it happens it's pretty unnerving.

Haven't experienced the same with my WM1AM2 so far. If anything, there very minimal side-to-side movement with the jack (and it takes more effort to unplug the cables from the WM1AM2).

Hope that helps.
The left channel was cut out possibly due to the lateral forces on the Jack. The Jack could have been pushed toward the sides, left channel is possibly touching the side chassis and short out. Pentaconn sockets were designed for Pentaconn plugs. If any other 4.4mm plugs, it would be a little loose or a little too tight.

The fact that 4.4mm is wiggling is due to the mechanism that Sony designed. The socket is an external extension with internal cables and not directly connected to the main PCB. This is an amazing design, so that if the Walkman is dropped and hit the ground, the socket may get damaged, but not the board. So replacing the socket is easier.

The lateral movements is dependent on the tightening of the socket toward the chassis. Some may be more loose than another, but shouldn’t be by much. For the fact that Sony uses Pentaconn, I recommend using Pentaconn plugs only. At least Furutech or reputable brands and not cheap 4.4 plugs

Nov 9, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #7,356 of 15,619
C780FBF1-3671-4C56-B232-8EEA4CCDA6A1.jpeg
1Z M2 has a magical synergies with IER-Z1R. Let’s not talk about signatures for the moment. What is so amazing about this pairing is

1/ driving power ! The Z1R is driven beautifully !! The dynamic, linearity, liquidity and flow of the music are super fine

I have tried to pair Z1R with so many different gears, and with the more power is the better it perform. However, it is so very hard to bring about this linearity and liquidity out of it

2/ Soundstage : when properly driven, a proper soundstage is to be expected. But this pairing is far exceeding da my expectations.

Now, let’s talk about the overall performances. The Z1R has a grandiose soundstage like an opened back cans, full sizes, but it doesn’t stop there, the Depth is amazingly well retrieved. This is due to a fact that Z1R always has that slightly recessed mid, but it depends on some pairing, this can be better or worse when integrating itself into the overall performances. With the 1Z M2, it has became the strength of the IER Z1R. It creates a depth of field that even my properly driven HD800S have to tip it hat off *** I am talking about an output transformer coupled 300B system for 800s.
4F01E8BD-B5B3-4C02-8191-60FBDB02C331.jpeg
Yes, when picking and being critical about the performances, then a full blown desktop will have a much better potentials and performances. But we will not need to talk about it here. Why ? Because simply having a properly amped up 800S to tip it hat off from the depth of field ? That is a crazy thing to dream of for a pocketable and portable system that can simply be plugged in and play away !!!

The IER Z1R and 1Z M2 is so crazily potent!!!

Let’s take about the account of sound signatures overall. The pairing has an analog warmth to it overall signatures. It isn’t warmth in a way that it brings haziness or veiling up the textures , acoustic cues or sparkling details. It is warmth in an analog musical sense of signature. It is a bit bass emphasized!! The huge bass strings sound amazing !! Big, bold, vibrant! Warmer than it should be, together with the emphasized aspects, it melt people heart !! Especially people who loves bass !! It isn’t too out of proportion that big bass would sound like a grand kick drum. This is where micro and macro dynamic needs to be taken into account. This is why I mentioned that IER is driven to the most beautiful performances that I haven’t observed yet. The distinctions between a more dynamic and biting bass will be very layered and articulated in a sense that is not only lovely for bass lover but also satisfying for the picky people who like to spot the emphasizing Vs neutral and accuracy. At most, you would agree that it is warm, slightly emphasized, but you have to also agree that this is an amazing pair up that would put many system to embarrassment. I am totally serious

Listening to WM1ZM2 + IER-Z1R is like listening to a proper set up of desktop + tubes amp and a high end/ well regarded opened back full sizes.

From my point of views, people who loves the first Gen WM1A/Z, they will definitely be taken and shaken with this M2. Don’t worry, you wouldn’t know if it used the same S-Master HX, or AndroidOS. They don’t matter, the performances that would shake you would be what really matter. Especially with IER-Z1R. I can not think of anyone who don’t like properly done Bass!! Especially if it doesn’t compromise or losing other aspects and technical performances of the rest of the spectrum. One of the main reason why many of use is loving the big bad Tubes set up :wink:

Highly recommended of this pair up!

Side questions

1/ Do I want to modify the 1Z M2 ?

Of course I want to, but the performances of this caliber from this pairing do give me an impressions that Sony has specially tuning and using this pairing as a references system for the end product. It is completed. For this here alone, my answer is “No, I don’t want to modify it. There will always be compromises for one aspect to gain another. This pairing is too wonderful and too beautiful to be messing around with”

2/ Not even internal cables upgrade ?
Exactly ! This pairing here is too beautifully moving. There is no need

3/ Can it drive Full size headphones ?

Definitely not, you can listen to it however you want, but you will be limited by it low output power.

4/ Is there any other IEMs that you would recommend ?

My limited experiences with ear buds don’t allow me to comment here. Some others will give better feed back. However, I can use my experiences from owning high end desktop full sizes. I don’t think you want to spend money and digging, chasing the bid bad rabbit down it holes. If you want to have a moving, quality, musical, reliable portable systems. This pairing is my definite recommendation. It will take a lot more money to get better than just this, the kind that breaks the bank.

Nov 9, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #7,357 of 15,619
C780FBF1-3671-4C56-B232-8EEA4CCDA6A1.jpeg
1Z M2 has a magical synergies with IER-Z1R. Let’s not talk about signatures for the moment. What is so amazing about this pairing is

1/ driving power ! The Z1R is driven beautifully !! The dynamic, linearity, liquidity and flow of the music are super fine

I have tried to pair Z1R with so many different gears, and with the more power is the better it perform. However, it is so very hard to bring about this linearity and liquidity out of it

2/ Soundstage : when properly driven, a proper soundstage is to be expected. But this pairing is far exceeding da my expectations.

Now, let’s talk about the overall performances. The Z1R has a grandiose soundstage like an opened back cans, full sizes, but it doesn’t stop there, the Depth is amazingly well retrieved. This is due to a fact that Z1R always has that slightly recessed mid, but it depends on some pairing, this can be better or worse when integrating itself into the overall performances. With the 1Z M2, it has became the strength of the IER Z1R. It creates a depth of field that even my properly driven HD800S have to tip it hat off *** I am talking about an output transformer coupled 300B system for 800s.
4F01E8BD-B5B3-4C02-8191-60FBDB02C331.jpeg
Yes, when picking and being critical about the performances, then a full blown desktop will have a much better potentials and performances. But we will not need to talk about it here. Why ? Because simply having a properly amped up 800S to tip it hat off from the depth of field ? That is a crazy thing to dream of for a pocketable and portable system that can simply be plugged in and play away !!!

The IER Z1R and 1Z M2 is so crazily potent!!!

Let’s take about the account of sound signatures overall. The pairing has an analog warmth to it overall signatures. It isn’t warmth in a way that it brings haziness or veiling up the textures , acoustic cues or sparkling details. It is warmth in an analog musical sense of signature. It is a bit bass emphasized!! The huge bass strings sound amazing !! Big, bold, vibrant! Warmer than it should be, together with the emphasized aspects, it melt people heart !! Especially people who loves bass !! It isn’t too out of proportion that big bass would sound like a grand kick drum. This is where micro and macro dynamic needs to be taken into account. This is why I mentioned that IER is driven to the most beautiful performances that I haven’t observed yet. The distinctions between a more dynamic and biting bass will be very layered and articulated in a sense that is not only lovely for bass lover but also satisfying for the picky people who like to spot the emphasizing Vs neutral and accuracy. At most, you would agree that it is warm, slightly emphasized, but you have to also agree that this is an amazing pair up that would put many system to embarrassment. I am totally serious

Listening to WM1ZM2 + IER-Z1R is like listening to a proper set up of desktop + tubes amp and a high end/ well regarded opened back full sizes.

From my point of views, people who loves the first Gen WM1A/Z, they will definitely be taken and shaken with this M2. Don’t worry, you wouldn’t know if it used the same S-Master HX, or AndroidOS. They don’t matter, the performances that would shake you would be what really matter. Especially with IER-Z1R. I can not think of anyone who don’t like properly done Bass!! Especially if it doesn’t compromise or losing other aspects and technical performances of the rest of the spectrum. One of the main reason why many of use is loving the big bad Tubes set up :wink:

Highly recommended of this pair up!

Side questions

1/ Do I want to modify the 1Z M2 ?

Of course I want to, but the performances of this caliber from this pairing do give me an impressions that Sony has specially tuning and using this pairing as a references system for the end product. It is completed. For this here alone, my answer is “No, I don’t want to modify it. There will always be compromises for one aspect to gain another. This pairing is too wonderful and too beautiful to be messing around with”

2/ Not even internal cables upgrade ?
Exactly ! This pairing here is too beautifully moving. There is no need

Definitely not, you can listen to it however you want, but you will be limited by it low output power.

4/ Is there any other IEMs that you would recommend ?

My limited experiences with ear buds don’t allow me to comment here. Some others will give better feed back. However, I can use my experiences from owning high end desktop full sizes. I don’t think you want to spend money and digging, chasing the bid bad rabbit down it holes. If you want to have a moving, quality, musical, reliable portable systems. This pairing is my definite recommendation. It will take a lot more money to get better than just this, the kind that breaks the bank.
Thanks for your nice review. I am not surprised by the wonderful pairing of IER-Z1R and WM1ZM2 because I guess it was the IEM the designers tested with.
I'm tempted to pair my 1ZM2 with IER-Z1R but saw some people had some issues getting proper seal or comfortability.

Nov 9, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #7,358 of 15,619
Hello! anyone here with the EU Volume cap version could advise me on suitable high Quality iems with high sensitivity that will perform well ? I am considering sennheiser ie900, reviews mention they should be easy to drive, unfortunately unlikely I may be able to test them…many thanks!

Nov 9, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #7,359 of 15,619
Hello! anyone here with the EU Volume cap version could advise me on suitable high Quality iems with high sensitivity that will perform well ?
I use my UltimateEars Reference Remastered Pro with my EU AM2. For me it's a dream.

Nov 9, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #7,360 of 15,619

thank you for this review.

i am not sure if this is absolutely right. i mean sony made ads were the mdr-z1r is used with the wm1z.

meze empyrean, too, for example has impedance: 32 ohm, claiming that it perfectly suits DAPs.

indeed 800s and co. will demand much more. but there are - like meze empyrean - headphones out there which delivers brilliant sound and "just works"with 32 ohm.

Hello! anyone here with the EU Volume cap version could advise me on suitable high Quality iems with high sensitivity that will perform well ? I am considering sennheiser ie900, reviews mention they should be easy to drive, unfortunately unlikely I may be able to test them…many thanks!
i can recommend sennheiser ie300 and ie900.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #7,361 of 15,619
After 3 months of use , I'm only hitting the 50 hours mark on balanced (very few streaming). But the sinergy with Final Audio a4000 is astonishing. What hits me more is how highs are presented: cymbals are so natural, the decay of open hihats is just so "live" , you can imagine you are at a concert. You can hear all the spectrum of a cymbal strike.
Bass is very good too, tight , defined, it makes a4000 lean and fast bass response shine.

Nov 9, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #7,362 of 15,619
After 3 months of use , I'm only hitting the 50 hours mark on balanced (very few streaming). But the sinergy with Final Audio a4000 is astonishing. What hits me more is how highs are presented: cymbals are so natural, the decay of open hihats is just so "live" , you can imagine you are at a concert. You can hear all the spectrum of a cymbal strike.
Bass is very good too, tight , defined, it makes a4000 lean and fast bass response shine.
do you have 1-2 song recommendation where this effect is shown at its best?

Nov 9, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #7,364 of 15,619
thank you for this review.

i am not sure if this is absolutely right. i mean sony made ads were the mdr-z1r is used with the wm1z.

meze empyrean, too, for example has impedance: 32 ohm, claiming that it is perfectly suits DAPs.

indeed 800s and co. will demand much more. but there are - like meze empyrean - headphones out there which delivers brilliant sound and "just works"with 32 ohm.

i can recommend sennheiser ie300 and ie900.
Just want to add that my Utopias sound great out of 4.4mm of 1ZM2.

Nov 9, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #7,365 of 15,619

Hope that helps.
Mine feels completely solid. I'm really hoping it was just a piece of lint or something got in the socket and made a temporary connection issue. Again, seemed to happen twice back to back and hasn't happened since. Thanks for the input tho. Definitely something to watch out for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back