SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Nov 8, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #7,338 of 15,741
Why have you purchased M2 then if you had preferred SONY OS?
well... the sq improved as more and more people - especially those with advances knowledge - acknowledge that.

i love the sony os, but i am also ready to buy the m2 now. 90% listening time = offline flacs. yes i will miss the sony os. but the sony walkman apps is a close modern update to it.. i see it this way. so it ok.

i would wish that m3 would have an implementation like a&k, where it is basically a "pure" sony os with android elements where you can download selected apps like tidal, qobuz, uapp, and thats it.

Nov 8, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #7,339 of 15,741
Well android still has flexibility when it comes to customising the interface.

You can replace Google Keyboard with the Simple Keyboard app which cuts the memory footprint from ~140MB down to just 8.7MB.

You can almost de-google the Walkman right down to the bare minimum memory usage of just 1.6GB or lesser. About 300MB lesser memory usage than factory stock by doing adb uninstall.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #7,340 of 15,741
The parts that are needed would never fit inside an Headphone. Look at how big the MDR-Z1R or MDR-Z7M2 is, now imagine the parts from an Walkman inside one of these... Just look how big even an not High End Bluetooth Receiver like the BTR7 is...

Now imagine how expensive these, already expensive, headphones would get. An all of that just to not need a cable?

So much bigger headphone, much heavier, less flexible (as you still need an DAP for everything else you have) and so on, you really need to hate cables a _lot_ to think that this is worth it.

The audiophile Headphones that exist like the ones you mentioned are all way below the Z7M2 while being more expensive.

When you're willing to spend more money to get the worse product and call that innovation, then I'm against it.
They already exist: B&W PX8, ML5909, Focal Barthys and my 2 pair of AKG N90Q's and Sony MDR-1Adac. Just pick up a used pair Sony MRD-1Adac, which came out in 2015, listen to 24/196 hires and be amazed. If Sony could do this seven years back, then???.
Believe me, I'm a huge Sony fan and own at least 7 Sony DAP's, bought over the last 25 years. I ripped a couple hundred files to ATRACS, using my two ATRACS ES recorders.
I love this stuff, but the writings on the wall for fully integrated headphones. They are HERE, and will become awesome.

Nov 8, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #7,342 of 15,741
I don’t believe Sony is ever going back to Linux OS. The upcoming new Walkman ZX and A are all using Google framework Android as well.
They may bring it back, but won’t be for another few more years. This M2 even-though is carrying the name WM1 Series, it is actually the successor of the ZX2 or ZX series. You can see all of it traits with

1/ Humped Back
2/ Android OS

The ZX2 were released somewhere ends of 2014, and this one is 2021. That makes a successor of a 7 years cycle or so. The next Linux successor may not be here until 1-2 years (taking in Covid scenarios)
A0A811B7-AD62-4AC9-9705-2220F81F1A7F.jpeg215A7DFD-85CC-414C-A68A-F4360784999B.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #7,345 of 15,741
If Mr Hiroaki Sato is the hardware sound quality engineer behind the M2 Walkman then this Mr Toru Chinen is the brains behind the Walkman DSP and also 360RA.

Just check out the patents he is holding and it’s all related to Sony’s audio processing:

https://patents.justia.com/inventor/toru-chinen

Everything is patented/patent pending and not some “magical” Teraton Alpha Mumbo jumbo.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #7,346 of 15,741
Sony Sound battery life , my 105 sucks in battery life the New Sony A and ZX Walkmans Coming will have poor battery life as well
https://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.com/2022/10/new-sony-a-and-zx-walkmans-are-coming.html
It might be a bit too early to be saying that. A large part of the reason the current entry/mid tier Walkman's have poor battery lives is due to their i.MX 8M Mini Quad SoC. Said SoC constantly runs at 1.2 GHz. This is a good Japanese blogpost about it, it's worth reading through Google Translate or DeepL. We know the new models opt for different SoCs though, a lower underclock could potentially make 1500mAh enough for the day. Android 12 might help out as well, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Nov 8, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #7,348 of 15,741
Well android still has flexibility when it comes to customising the interface.

You can replace Google Keyboard with the Simple Keyboard app which cuts the memory footprint from ~140MB down to just 8.7MB.

You can almost de-google the Walkman right down to the bare minimum memory usage of just 1.6GB or lesser. About 300MB lesser memory usage than factory stock by doing adb uninstall.

Do you know of a guide or a specific message in this thread that has all the options we need to disable?

Nov 8, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #7,349 of 15,741
Nov 8, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #7,350 of 15,741
It might be a bit too early to be saying that. A large part of the reason the current entry/mid tier Walkman's have poor battery lives is due to their i.MX 8M Mini Quad SoC. Said SoC constantly runs at 1.2 GHz. This is a good Japanese blogpost about it, it's worth reading through Google Translate or DeepL. We know the new models opt for different SoCs though, a lower underclock could potentially make 1500mAh enough for the day. Android 12 might help out as well, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Another reason for poor battery life is also due to various background Google bloatware in the stock firmware. Redditors have reported lowered battery usage after debloating their Walkman

https://www.reddit.com/r/walkman/comments/szst6c/guide_to_drastically_improved_battery_life/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back