SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Oct 10, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #6,587 of 15,604
depends on whether you like the Sony house sound and able to find a headphone/iem that synergies with it.

also on another note, both neutron app(requires setting changes) and uapp app(out of box support) are already able to play pcm(non-dsd)music files on the Walkman at native file sampling rates without forced upsampling 32/192 as these two apps are able to access the hardware s-master dac directly without going through android mixer path.
Where did you got this information?

To my knowledge it's not true. UAPP doesn't do that on the ZX507, I see no reason or explanation anywhere why they should do it on the WM1 M2

Oct 10, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #6,588 of 15,604
Oct 10, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #6,589 of 15,604
So what's the trick to ordering one of these NW-WM1ZM2 as a non UK version but getting delivered to the UK, any suggestions?
1665443017939.png

Oct 11, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #6,590 of 15,604
When I login with my account on Amazon.co.jp, there are none available for shipment to Belgium. Only one used for 445000 yen🤔 Using a proxy won’t help either, since it’s the shipping address of my Amazon account that determines the search results and buying options.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #6,592 of 15,604
I know this message, it means nothing. UAPP doesn't have direct access to the S-Master HX

Comparing the three software players really does make me conclude how much audio alteration Sony does in its Walkman music app
I did measurements and recordintgs directly from the output of the ZX507. Walkman App, UAPP, VLC, Amazon Music and YouTube Music all sound 100% identical.

So to make this, again, clear once and for all (This Voodoo keeps popping up way too often)

• The Walkman App does not alter the sound. Measurements and Analyzis in Audacity has proofen that.
  • 3rd Party Apps cannot access the S-Master HX directly, even though they say so
  • The Walkman DAPs do not have any DAC, so there is no Hi-Res Audio DAC. They are full digital amps.
So all music players sound the same, and they wall sound like the Walkman app.

If you don't trust me, go to 100% volume and just recjord the output straight out of the Walkman and analyze it in audacity. Its identical.

Oct 11, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #6,593 of 15,604
When I login with my account on Amazon.co.jp, there are none available for shipment to Belgium. Only one used for 445000 yen🤔 Using a proxy won’t help either, since it’s the shipping address of my Amazon account that determines the search results and buying options.
On the top left, you can set the Shipping Address (that is unrelated to the shipping address of your amazon account, you can freely change it to any place on the earth).

Just change it to somewhere in Tokyo and it will show up.

But i'd recommend to just buy at e-earphone because they are 1. official and certified, authorized Sony partner (and the biggest one) and 2. the price is lower because Sony gives 10% off on the WM1ZM2 and WM1AM2. e-earphone only shows the 10% off prices when your logged in, but its cheaper + you're suporting a cool company instead of amazon

1665470053921.png
1665470065413.png

Oct 11, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #6,594 of 15,604
On the top left, you can set the Shipping Address (that is unrelated to the shipping address of your amazon account, you can freely change it to any place on the earth).

But i'd recommend to just buy at e-earphone because they are 1. official and certified, authorized Sony partner (and the biggest one) and 2. the price is lower because Sony gives 10% off on the WM1ZM2 and WM1AM2. e-earphone only shows the 10% off prices when your logged in, but its cheaper + you're suporting a cool company instead of amazon
Just wanted to try out again, but now my Amazon email is not recognized anymore. Strange.
Anyway, e-earphone is probably the better alternative anyhow as you mentioned.

Oct 11, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #6,595 of 15,604
Of course the Apps will not be able to have full access to all detailed functions of the S-Master HX chip unless Sony has provided some kind of API/Driver documentation. But let’s just simplify things and define direct access as in bypassing android sound mixer in this case.

Under android settings > sound > media volume

This is the slider which controls the android sound mixer volume. All Android apps on the Walkman or any other smartphone obey this slider control. If you set to this media volume to zero %, you won’t get any sound out of Spotify, YouTube or any other streaming music app. With the sole exception of the Walkman app which does not link to this media volume slider at all. Meaning even if the media volume slider is set to 0%(muted), there is still the same sound output volume from Walkman app.

If you have configured neutron app properly or using the current UAPP version that has detected your ICX1298, both these two apps will also bypass the android mixer and will have sound output on the wm1am2(also for zx507) even if the media volume slider is set to 0%

Usb Audio Player Pro on the WM1AM2:
46560140-85DB-419C-B921-0AE69E247B6F.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #6,596 of 15,604
sorry but I do not believe in being a measurebator. I go by my own sensory observations and not by whatever others claim is voodoo or snake oil. I use my ears to enjoy music. If I hear a difference in something, I do not need to use some measuring equipment or test to prove I am right to myself or anyone else.

I find out which equipment/settings/apps/DSP that works for my kind of music/mood and make my decisions on whatever that works best.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #6,597 of 15,604

1665470053921.png1665470065413.png
We would be able to change the menu to English I suppose? What about international warranty if we buy from the site? TIA!

Oct 11, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #6,598 of 15,604
So does the Walkman contain a dac?

I think we have to agree on the definition of what is a DAC?

Digital to Analog Conversion/Convertor

Analog As in analog sound waves right?

A digital device/equipment cannot output analog sound unless it has some way to convert digital to analog. It has to have a digital to analog conversion chip in its function.

Let’s define what the S-Master Hx chip function as?

My definition of the S-Master HX chip function: it converts digital binary data(pcm/dsd/MQA) into audible amplified analog sound waves that is played back on a speaker.

so does it make it a DAC? Yes in my books(not sure about what other may define what this chip is function as), just that Sony has almost everything integrated in, fully balanced amplification circuitry and almost all DSP/filtering functions done in one single chip.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #6,599 of 15,604
Oct 11, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #6,600 of 15,604
Are you sure ? That’s not what I read on the Sony specs page:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/walkman/nw-wm1am2
"The single-bit stream delivered to the DAC has a character far closer to that of analogue, giving you even more ways to enjoy your music."
That is an marketing statement from DSD. The Japanese and the English page clearly state that the Walkman uses an full digital amp and the developer interview explains in detail why this is superior to an analog amp with DAC.

The full digital amp is the whole reason to buy a walkman in the first place

There is no DAC chip in the board, there is no DAC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back