SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Sep 2, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #6,166 of 15,994
I gave up idea of the Sony due to volume cap and got FiiO M17.
Am delighted with choice.
Its certainly a pain for EU buyers. I've had to import all my Sony Android DAP's from Amazon Japan (A107, ZX507, WM1AM2) after first trying and returning UK spec versions.

Sep 2, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #6,167 of 15,994
A few weeks ago we had a discussion about ddhifi 4.4mm ground pin adapter for WM1A/ZM2 DAPs and if it going to fit Dignis case. I just got this adapter in, full spec and info here. It is offered for WM1A/Z and WM1A/ZM2, in both black and gold finishes for corresponding models. And as many are aware, Sony does not connect Ground pin on their Pentaconn socket, only L+/L-/R+/R-. This adapter from ddhifi "borrows" ground pin from 3.5mm side to have a proper TRRRS grounding and improved shielding. It's a nice slim adapter, solid build, uses 25.5 awg pure copper wires and audiophile quality Mundorf solder. I still need to do more testing, but in a series of blind tests last night (my wife already accepted I'm nuts asking her to conduct these tests), I was able to distinguish IEMs plugged in directly vs through this DJ44S adapter. It's not a night and day difference, but you can hear a cleaner background, and yes, I would have said "placebo" effect, but it was a blind test where I got many of them right.

Now, about the fit with a DAP inside the case. Obviously, no issues with a naked WM1ZM2, and it doesn't stick out too far, looks nice and clean.

ddhifi-dj44s-06.jpgddhifi-dj44s-07.jpgddhifi-dj44s-09.jpg

Also, with MITER case where the top is not covered, no issues as well. There is a gap like you would see with a naked WM1ZM2.

ddhifi-dj44s-11.jpgddhifi-dj44s-12.jpgddhifi-dj44s-13.jpg

And, no issues with Dignis case either!!! There is still a tiny gap in there, the top flap of the Dignis case doesn't interfere with an adapter. So, all is good for Dignis case owners who considering getting this 4.4mm ground pin adapter.

ddhifi-dj44s-14.jpgddhifi-dj44s-15.jpgddhifi-dj44s-16.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #6,168 of 15,994
I gave up idea of the Sony due to volume cap and got FiiO M17.
Am delighted with choice.
I dare to call the M17 portable^^ so not really an comparison to the Walkman but i get what you mean.

Because buying in germany is no option for me, i am still waiting to be able to enter japan to buy my WM1ZM2 directly in Japan. And i decided for the M11 Plus as an temoprary device because i could get it inside germany, with 2 days shipping, and it gets the job done.

It doesn't sound as good, but i didn't had to import it from Japan which was a big plus.

And i can sell it in japan for the price i got it in germany because FiiOs prices in Japan are insane. The M11 Plus costs 670€ in germany but, converted in buying force, roughly 1200€ in Japan. They pay 650€ for used M11 Plus in Japan...

Sep 2, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #6,169 of 15,994
Its certainly a pain for EU buyers. I've had to import all my Sony Android DAP's from Amazon Japan (A107, ZX507, WM1AM2) after first trying and returning UK spec versions.
Its always the same with Japanese companies, no matter what.

Just look at this mess. Current Sony Lineup

Earphone
XBA-N1
XBA-N3
XBA-Z5
IER-M7
IER-M9
IER-Z1R

Headphone
MDR-1AM2
MDR-Z7M2
MDR-Z1R

What do you think, from all of these, is available in germany?

MDR-1AM2, MDR-Z1R, thats it. Thats the only things you can buy right now... that is a joke.

If you want Sony, you're going the import route sooner or later

Sep 2, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #6,170 of 15,994
A few weeks ago we had a discussion about ddhifi 4.4mm ground pin adapter for WM1A/ZM2 DAPs and if it going to fit Dignis case. I just got this adapter in, full spec and info here. It is offered for WM1A/Z and WM1A/ZM2, in both black and gold finishes for corresponding models. And as many are aware, Sony does not connect Ground pin on their Pentaconn socket, only L+/L-/R+/R-. This adapter from ddhifi "borrows" ground pin from 3.5mm side to have a proper TRRRS grounding and improved shielding. It's a nice slim adapter, solid build, uses 25.5 awg pure copper wires and audiophile quality Mundorf solder. I still need to do more testing, but in a series of blind tests last night (my wife already accepted I'm nuts asking her to conduct these tests), I was able to distinguish IEMs plugged in directly vs through this DJ44S adapter. It's not a night and day difference, but you can hear a cleaner background, and yes, I would have said "placebo" effect, but it was a blind test where I got many of them right.

Now, about the fit with a DAP inside the case. Obviously, no issues with a naked WM1ZM2, and it doesn't stick out too far, looks nice and clean.

ddhifi-dj44s-06.jpgddhifi-dj44s-07.jpgddhifi-dj44s-09.jpg

Also, with MITER case where the top is not covered, no issues as well. There is a gap like you would see with a naked WM1ZM2.

ddhifi-dj44s-11.jpgddhifi-dj44s-12.jpgddhifi-dj44s-13.jpg

And, no issues with Dignis case either!!! There is still a tiny gap in there, the top flap of the Dignis case doesn't interfere with an adapter. So, all is good for Dignis case owners who considering getting this 4.4mm ground pin adapter.

ddhifi-dj44s-14.jpgddhifi-dj44s-15.jpgddhifi-dj44s-16.jpg

thanks for this test... looking forward to your full testing later.

Sep 2, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #6,171 of 15,994

Your cable doesn't appear to be shielded, so I don't understand how it could make a difference? :wink:

Sep 2, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #6,172 of 15,994
Your cable doesn't appear to be shielded, so I don't understand how it could make a difference? :wink:

You are right, grounded cable shielding can block EMI/RF interference so your cable won't become an antenna. I just assume the benefit here is due to grounding of the actual Pentaconn socket so it doesn't float and balanced signal pairs won't pick up the noise, especially if you are using a DAP without a case and touching the chassis which are connected to internal ground. That always made me wonder. You walk across the carpet or in a dry room, build up a charge in your body, and touch the metal conductive chassis of the DAP?!

I tested/verified here using Jewel w/PWA FirstTimes cable and Traillii w/Chiron cable. Like I said, it's definitely not a night and day difference, but with a trained ear the background does sound blacker which makes the sound tighter. Would like to hear what others are hearing? I'm well aware of sound science theories as well as EE101, and I fully understand the effect of placebo, but if I hear a subtle difference in a blind test and can distinguish it, I have to go by what I'm hearing :)

Sep 2, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #6,173 of 15,994
After some back and forth with my RS6 and the AM2 and my Mest MK2 I have found that I prefer the RS6. I have the AM2 on direct mode. I feel that the RS6 has a lot more detail than the Sony. In general the “synergy” just seems better. So, my feeling that the Sony sounds a little “congested” when compared to the RS6. The RS6 is smoother, more detailed, and less “raw” sounding. I can hear more of the cymbal details and more soundstage and separation from the RS6. I still plan on keeping the Sony as I will use it for work as the battery life is amazing and I play it through a speaker. The RS6 battery life is pretty bad and wouldn’t last a whole day..maybe 5 hours max

Just my thoughts after about 2 weeks with the player.

Sep 2, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #6,174 of 15,994
You are right, grounded cable shielding can block EMI/RF interference so your cable won't become an antenna. I just assume the benefit here is due to grounding of the actual Pentaconn socket so it doesn't float and balanced signal pairs won't pick up the noise, especially if you are using a DAP without a case and touching the chassis which are connected to internal ground. That always made me wonder. You walk across the carpet or in a dry room, build up a charge in your body, and touch the metal conductive chassis of the DAP?!

I tested/verified here using Jewel w/PWA FirstTimes cable and Traillii w/Chiron cable. Like I said, it's definitely not a night and day difference, but with a trained ear the background does sound blacker which makes the sound tighter. Would like to hear what others are hearing? I'm well aware of sound science theories as well as EE101, and I fully understand the effect of placebo, but if I hear a subtle difference in a blind test and can distinguish it, I have to go by what I'm hearing :)

To be clear, I wasn't questioning what your were hearing, just that I don't understand it. Circuit boards don't really have a "ground" (especially on portable devices) but a "common" return path to the power source(s) as part of the PCB layer. Of course, balanced/differential connections don't use the common for the return path but a discrete connection for each channel. Connecting the Pentaconn sleeve to the common but then not using the sleeve connection in the plug and headphone cable shouldn't do anything. I have never seen a Pentaconn headphone cable where the sleeve is used or connected, to the shield or otherwise.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #6,175 of 15,994
To be clear, I wasn't questioning what your were hearing, just that I don't understand it. Circuit boards don't really have a "ground" (especially on portable devices) but a "common" return path to the power source(s) as part of the PCB layer. Of course, balanced connections don't use the common for the return path but a discrete connection for each channel. Connecting the Pentaconn sleeve to the common but then not using the sleeve connection in the plug and headphone cable shouldn't do anything. I have never seen a Pentaconn headphone cable where the sleeve is used or connected, to the shield or otherwise.
The sleeve from Pentaconn do get internally connected depends on the DAP and it manufacturers. The Cayin N8ii, C9, and Ibasso DX300/320 for example, all having the Sleeve as ground.

However, Sony do not have Ground connected internally to the Balanced phones out for a reason. But it is your player. So, you do with it as you please

Sep 2, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #6,176 of 15,994
The sleeve from Pentaconn do get internally connected depends on the DAP and it manufacturers. The Cayin N8ii, C9, and Ibasso DX300/320 for example, all having the Sleeve as ground.

However, Sony do not have Ground connected internally to the Balanced phones out for a reason. But it is your player. So, you do with it as you please

Thanks for the first-hand information!

Sep 3, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #6,177 of 15,994
After some back and forth with my RS6 and the AM2 and my Mest MK2 I have found that I prefer the RS6. I have the AM2 on direct mode. I feel that the RS6 has a lot more detail than the Sony. In general the “synergy” just seems better. So, my feeling that the Sony sounds a little “congested” when compared to the RS6. The RS6 is smoother, more detailed, and less “raw” sounding. I can hear more of the cymbal details and more soundstage and separation from the RS6. I still plan on keeping the Sony as I will use it for work as the battery life is amazing and I play it through a speaker. The RS6 battery life is pretty bad and wouldn’t last a whole day..maybe 5 hours max

Just my thoughts after about 2 weeks with the player.
I do not enjoy the Mest2 out of the Walkman as much as well. Although in my case I felt that it was the Mest2's fault cos the Acoustune sound absolutely fabulous out of it... so much so I have not been giving my desktop set enough love lately.

Sep 3, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #6,179 of 15,994
twister6: How high is the gap between the top of the DAP and the bottom of the ground pin adapter?

Sep 3, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #6,180 of 15,994
How's battery life after software update to the latest firmware, guys?
No different from what I have seen. Still heavily dependent on what features are enabled and in use on the unit. For me battery life is a non issue as I don't listen for hours on end and a power point is never too far away.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back