SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Aug 28, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #6,077 of 15,612
Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #6,079 of 15,612
I always forget. Check the Bluetooth options in android. There's a menu for audio quality.
Sure, aptX HD is grayed out on DAP, saying that the speaker/headphones is not capable of it 🤷🏼‍♂️. Just waiting for latest information from B&O support. In principle aptX adaptive is said to be compatible with aptX HD. Same says B&O. So, I'm curious about their answer 🤣

Aug 28, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #6,080 of 15,612
I know this is not strictly on topic, but this article shows that buying 24-bit 96KHz isn't always what it's cracked up to be:

https://magicvinyldigital.net/2022/...iew-qobuz-hi-res-amazon-dolby-atmos-binaural/
Yes. As I earlier wrote here about. I think its very much on topic in all discussions of the advantages of Hires DAP. Its always the music source that is most important. With Hires it is pretty much pointless for all rock / pop that has been remastered in any way since 1995. They all suffer from loudness war dynamic range brickwalling compression. The Queen 2011 HR or SACD Japan versions are unlistenable to IMHO when compared to the original first CD digital press in 1986 (for most of them) The 2011 RMs have DR scores of 8 out of a possible 16. They all sound like ALL THE SOUNDS ARE PLAYING AT THE SAME LEVEL ALL THE TIME. I work in audio. Intially your brain is blasted into thinking ...this is louder than i remember, it must be better, with more details....but it's not.

And your hearing will become fatigued very quickly. Practically all rock is now being mastered like late 90s Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Even powerwarbler Adele sound wave form has all the dynamics cut. Notable exception is the 2012 remaster of American Idiot which took away the 2004 DR brickwalling. It is very very rare. Once its applied and mastered on cd or on your streaming source it cannot be undone by you the user in any way.

Takeaway: don't throw out any pre 1994 CDs with fav rock or pop unless you rip them first. Cos these are going to be like Rosetta Stones for digital music.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #6,081 of 15,612
Yes. As I earlier wrote here about. I think its very much on topic in all discussions of the advantages of Hires DAP. Its always the music source that is most important. With Hires it is pretty much pointless for all rock / pop that has been remastered in any way since 1995. They all suffer from loudness war dynamic range brickwalling compression. The Queen 2011 HR or SACD Japan versions are unlistenable to IMHO when compared to the original first CD digital press in 1986 (for most of them) The 2011 RMs have DR scores of 8 out of a possible 16. They all sound like ALL THE SOUNDS ARE PLAYING AT THE SAME LEVEL ALL THE TIME. I work in audio. Intially your brain is blasted into thinking ...this is louder than i remember, it must be better, with more details....but it's not.

And your hearing will become fatigued very quickly. Practically all rock is now being mastered like late 90s Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Even powerwarbler Adele sound wave form has all the dynamics cut. Notable exception is the 2012 remaster of American Idiot which took away the 2004 DR brickwalling. It is very very rare. Once its applied and mastered on cd or on your streaming source it cannot be undone by you the user in any way.

Takeaway: don't throw out any pre 1994 CDs with fav rock or pop unless you rip them first. Cos these are going to be like Rosetta Stones for digital music.

Indeed, my dad used to work in a recording studio for many years so understand what things should sound like! It almost makes one want to buy a decent turntable and invest in some 24-bit 96KHz recording equipment, as the modern LPs seem to have better dynamic range. This whole thing absolutely kills uncompressed audio on 4k Blu-rays too, especially Disney produced ones.. such a shame.

Aug 28, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #6,082 of 15,612

Because of course...HR ask for more money...but you are getting less for it...but LOUDER. From the excellent magicvinyldigital.net. just look at the latest "remaster" ....Dire straits best of from 1988. Now in fab 24/96 with it bashing its head on dynamic limiters in the mix...on Quboz....an "audiophile" site....so 1988 V&CD vrs 'remasters'

What a mess....in 2022!

Attachments

• Capture+_2022-08-28-17-28-16.png
    Capture+_2022-08-28-17-28-16.png
    965.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture+_2022-08-28-17-27-52.png
    Capture+_2022-08-28-17-27-52.png
    927.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture+_2022-08-28-17-27-34.png
    Capture+_2022-08-28-17-27-34.png
    865.2 KB · Views: 0
Aug 28, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #6,083 of 15,612
Indeed, my dad used to work in a recording studio for many years so understand what things should sound like! It almost makes one want to buy a decent turntable and invest in some 24-bit 96KHz recording equipment, as the modern LPs seem to have better dynamic range. This whole thing absolutely kills uncompressed audio on 4k Blu-rays too, especially Disney produced ones.. such a shame.
I work in radio. So love and work in sound. In visual 1080p and 4k scans of original film negatives - done with care and love- are extraordinary. Spartacus, Lawrence, Giant...new tech has helped the experience. But in audio its the reverse. CDs fab dynamic range over the limits of Vinyl (including soothing baked in friction pink noise) was hijacked to wreak dynamic range in music. Granted later genres operated in this compressed world as a plus, but anything in the back catalogue that gets "remastered" is dynamically destroyed. Queen albums in 2011. people importing Japanese Sacd's with pcm jacked up remaster files on them.

The key being its destructive editing. You are actually losing information. So talk of HR DAPs and streamimg becomes academic when the sources are as juiced as the USSR Olympics team.

If you see those Original Album Series CDs sets of artists you like. Grab them. They invariably contain the original CD 1st press mix. With actual quiet and loud sounds on them.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #6,084 of 15,612
Has anyone experienced problems trying to update the WM1AM2 firmware to 1.0.2 via wifi? I have a friend who recently bought the WM1AM2 and he can't update because it never goes past the 0% point when he starts the update process.
My solution was to clean cache using: adb reboot fastboot, then ”wipe/clean cache”. That worked for me.

Aug 29, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #6,085 of 15,612
My M2 definitely has issues returning from black screen. Sometimes pressing the power button simply doesn't bring the screen back. Sometimes it takes three tries. And sure, sometimes screen comes back at first press.
Device hasn't turned off by it self. Only screensaver.

Aug 29, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #6,086 of 15,612
so tedious trying to burn in. I will probably go mad once I'm done

Aug 29, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #6,087 of 15,612
And my M2 is a bit laggy with play/pause/skip 🙄

Aug 29, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #6,089 of 15,612
I’ve kinda learned for speed and precision the M2’s aren’t the greatest. They’re perfectly fine but once you use an RS6, DX320, or your cell phone they will feel laggy. Not sure why Sony didn’t put in a bit faster chip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back