SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Aug 19, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #5,881 of 15,985
Nice and easy solution for hungry gear. Add a C9 to the chain. :)

Cross post photo. This pairing sounds really good!
Or plug it into one of these... :sunglasses:

AxiosCU_10.jpg

Aug 19, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #5,882 of 15,985
Aug 20, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #5,884 of 15,985
I am kind of itching to get a new DAP. I just wondered since you mentioned your search was over whether you considered any of the other DAPs at about the same price point. I’ve had excellent experience with the Hiby offerings in the past, but have been using my iPhone with a high quality dongle/amp or an external amp lately. Thanks.
I sold my DX300 Max after getting the Sony. I think only the N8ii comes close (to Sony) price wise, but the SQ wasn't > 3Max, just different, and not enough to overcome the design choices I found issues with - mainly volume pot facing down in the pocket / facing away from me when flat on desk etc.

I have the HA300ii and WA8 so paying extra for N8ii over 3Max didn't make sense at that point.

I was really interested in Hiby RS6 actually. But the RU6 is already very capable and when I really wanted that R2R sound at better quality, I bring my WA8 along with the RU6 haha~ might still pick up a R2R desktop at some point though..

Gave up using phone with dongle cos notifications / calls / disconnections in pocket / battery drain etc.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #5,885 of 15,985
Side Note:

I finally replaced the disintegrated filter in my EX1000, and gotten a nice copper 4.4mm cable. Singing beautifully out of the WM2. Would be one happy man if I don't go A/B with recent TOTL IEMs... Soundstage, bass just jumps right out. Still my fav single DD Sonys.

Listen to the instruments traversing across... amazing

Aug 20, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #5,886 of 15,985
Miter case just arrived, it has better quality than what I have used on other devices but the button covered by the case still becomes hard to press
EDITED: after 1 week using daily, the button is now more easy to press (8/10 compared to not using case)
97C2E0F8-89BC-449D-A9EF-6CB7D170544D.jpeg00BD6FA6-35A8-45DD-A83F-F9E0EF28C1DC.jpegE3CBD2FE-7B3B-469F-86F9-09F0607802DF.jpeg
after 1 week using daily, the button is now more easy to press (8/10 compared to not using case)

Aug 20, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #5,887 of 15,985
Side Note:

I finally replaced the disintegrated filter in my EX1000, and gotten a nice copper 4.4mm cable. Singing beautifully out of the WM2. Would be one happy man if I don't go A/B with recent TOTL IEMs... Soundstage, bass just jumps right out. Still my fav single DD Sonys.

Listen to the instruments traversing across... amazing

Yeah! It's gorgeous instrumentation there!

Aug 20, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #5,888 of 15,985
Testing as you do when you get new toys, been doing silver vs copper cable comparrison and still brighter with silver as I've come to expect.

Then tried some 3.5mm listening as nornally stick with 4.4mm.

Doing some comparrisons with my Hiby R5II and found the 3.5mm on the Sony sounds as good as 4.4mm to my ears yet the 3.5mm vs 4.4mm on the Hiby is noticeably more dull via 3.5mm.

It appears the balanced and SE are both great on the Sony.

Done back to back tests with my new IER-M9's against Fiio FD7 and Shure SE846 and the M9 is notecebaly the best for me. Just comparrisons with my K10U to do now.

The M9's are super lightweight and comfy with my SpinFit tips.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #5,889 of 15,985
So, just done my head to head with my new Sony IER-M9 vs Massdrop Noble K10 across a few genres.

Both excellent sonically with M9 being warmer, lusher but still super revealing while the K10U more true Neutral yet livlier sounding.

As of today, accepting more listening with the M9's could sway opinion other way, the K10 still sounds the best of the two but as an overall packaging including weight, size, comfort its the M9's 100%.

Both keepers

20220820_111935.jpg

Will always love and keep my SE846's but bettered by K10U, M9's and even prefer the FD7 over them now.

Considering the K10 has 10 BA vs Sony with 5BA per side, the Sony needs 15 steps higher to volume match and hardest to drive of my 4 IEM's. Need about 90/120 on low gain for the Sony.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #5,890 of 15,985
So, just done my head to head with my new Sony IER-M9 vs Massdrop Noble K10 across a few genres.

Both excellent sonically with M9 being warmer, lusher but still super revealing while the K10U more true Neutral yet livlier sounding.

As of today, accepting more listening with the M9's could sway opinion other way, the K10 still sounds the best of the two but as an overall packaging including weight, size, comfort its the M9's 100%.

Both keepers

Will always love and keep my SE846's but bettered by K10U, M9's and even prefer the FD7 over them now.

Considering the K10 has 10 BA vs Sony with 5BA per side, the Sony needs 15 steps higher to volume match and hardest to drive of my 4 IEM's. Need about 90/120 on low gain for the Sony.
I really like the M9’s from what I read, I have tried the M7 and was a bit underwhelmed with them even compared to my old XBA-H2. Just for reference I have dedicated my MDR-Z7 to the WM2 and run them at around 70-75 low gain for most listening. Been having a great time with this combo.

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #5,891 of 15,985
I've been following this thread for a bit and finally took the plunge and bought a WM1M2. Thank you for all the info to help me make my purchase. Maybe I missed it along the way, but has anyone had issues with macOS and file transfer? I followed the guide and can't get the thing to show up in Finder. I can see the device under the System Report USB section and it's charging, so I know it's connected. I've rebooted both the player and the MacBook a few times and it still won't show up. Very frustrating.

I'm running macOS Monterey 12.5.1 on a 2021 16 inch MacBook Pro. Maybe the most recent security update has screwed something up?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #5,892 of 15,985
I've been following this thread for a bit and finally took the plunge and bought a WM1M2. Thank you for all the info to help me make my purchase. Maybe I missed it along the way, but has anyone had issues with macOS and file transfer? I followed the guide and can't get the thing to show up in Finder. I can see the device under the System Report USB section and it's charging, so I know it's connected. I've rebooted both the player and the MacBook a few times and it still won't show up. Very frustrating.

I'm running macOS Monterey 12.5.1 on a 2021 16 inch MacBook Pro. Maybe the most recent security update has screwed something up?

Any ideas?

Thanks.
You need an Android transfer app to copy direct from Mac to DAP. It won't show up in Finder. If you have a wireless LAN, download Solid Explorer to the DAP, add your Mac as a network share, and you'll be able to access your Mac from the DAP, copy and paste files etc.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #5,893 of 15,985
You need an Android transfer app to copy direct from Mac to DAP.
Alternatively, just unmount the SD card and use a SD card reader to do the transfer. :)

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #5,894 of 15,985

Any ideas?

Thanks.

This is the official tool for that:

https://www.android.com/filetransfer/

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #5,895 of 15,985
Thanks all...the official Android tool did it! Realize now I was looking at an old guide for a non-Android Walkman...shouldn't do this stuff when I'm half asleep.

I'm overseas now (picked this baby up at e-earphone in Akihabara today), so only have my WF-1000XM4 wireless buds to test, but so far the Apple Music app sounds better than my MrWalkman firmware modified WM1A OG FLAC files through the same buds.

Looking forward to burning in the balanced output with my MDRZ1Rs and Focal Clears when I get home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back