SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jul 4, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #5,192 of 15,612
Simply wont entertain the crippled EU models, waste of $$$$ IMO...

Q-6

Jul 4, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #5,193 of 15,612
Hi everyone,

I am in the hunt of a DAP, all this time I’ve been using an iphone XS Max (dedicated for music) as transport and pairing it with a dac amp, but now I am are looking for something more easy to carry around.

I was an avid Walkman user back in the days of Cassette and CD’s Walkman, so naturally I am intrigued with the release of WM1AM2, off course the WM1ZM2 too, but it is out of my budget. However, as I learned by reading through pages in this thread, that both of them are running on android. Now I don’t need streaming capabilities for my use for the DAP, thus a recent offering of discounted price on WM1A and WM1Z makes that an interesting proposition. So given to my needs;

Is the WM1AM2 also has Sony’s own OS, so one can switch OS to not using android?

Disregarding the streaming and browsing features, is WM1AM2 a big improvement from WM1A sound wise?
yes, the sound improved + there is no option for "deactivating" android and having "sony os only mode".

I using 1am2 purely spotify only. Does it mean I am also spending un-neccesary ?
please try tidal and qobuz. you will hear the difference immediately.

Jul 4, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #5,194 of 15,612
I using 1am2 purely spotify only. Does it mean I am also spending un-neccesary ? 🤔
Personally I think It is fine, you will still benefit from the sound quality produced by 1AM2. Although you better switch to some losesless/hi-res source like Tidal or Apple Music (As I know Qobuz is not available in Singapore. It seems KKBox is available in SG? Personally I think KKBox has better SQ than Apple Music and Tidal, but it is the most expensive among the three...)

Jul 4, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #5,195 of 15,612
Personally I think It is fine, you will still benefit from the sound quality produced by 1AM2. Although you better switch to some losesless/hi-res source like Tidal or Apple Music (As I know Qobuz is not available in Singapore. It seems KKBox is available in SG? Personally I think KKBox has better SQ than Apple Music and Tidal, but it is the most expensive among the three...)
Trial kkbox yesterday, it seem to sound just a little better/clearer when listen to 16bit/24bit file, but just a little. And most of thebold chinese songs are in 320kps same as spotify too. So its not really every song in Hi Res. So not sure if I will be getting kkbox in top of my existing spotify, but will trial for 2 weeek to decide.

Is using china dap better for streaming?

Someone in audio shop actually advise me to go for China brand of dap as it can play streaming file without resampling by andriod (src if I am correct), and sony can't.

Ultimately I stick to sony as my ear tell me. 😁

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #5,196 of 15,612
Trial kkbox yesterday, it seem to sound just a little better/clearer when listen to 16bit/24bit file, but just a little. And most of thebold chinese songs are in 320kps same as spotify too. So its not really every song in Hi Res. So not sure if I will be getting kkbox in top of my existing spotify, but will trial for 2 weeek to decide.

Someone in audio shop actually advise me to go for China brand of dap as it can play streaming file without resampling by andriod (src if I am correct), and sony can't.

For my region (Hong Kong) there are many songs (Cantonese) in CD or higher quality when I played with the trial. I actually mainly listen to J-Pop and most of the songs they provide are in CD or higher quality too.

Have you tried Apple Music or Tidal as well? There also provide free trial (but need a credit card while KKBox does not)

Btw, it is true that those Chinese brands could bypass Android SRC for streaming while 1AM2/1ZM2 could not. But it doesn’t automatically mean they provide better sound quality than 1AM2/1ZM2. You better listen to the demo units and do side by side comparison yourself. Especially when hi-fi is a subjective hobby.

There are many factors to consider when you choose a DAP, like battery life, use case (streaming vs offline files, IEM/headphone to be used, etc), size, weight, etc. Recommendation from others would be a starting point, but as long as you have the luxury to play with demo units (this seems a privilege living in Asia :darthsmile:), your should always try yourself.

Jul 5, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #5,197 of 15,612
Thanks for this information, I was wondering exactly this.. i.e. how does the Gryphon DAC solution compare to the Walkman as another option. 👍

From the reviews sounds like a less well polished product too with the bugs (max volume etc)
I think gryphon or the if go bar .. they all seem unpolished product will software issue or not so good amp quality (think they focus on power than amp quality).

Try the ifi go bar and gyphon(sold), both sound very detail, but sony just sound much more musical/much darker backgroud with close to non hissing to my ear. I guess it's that sony sound which I like, or their dsee ultimate that does a very good job in producing the music.

I believe the sony product is simple and less option to adjust sound, but it just do what it's suppose to, giving u best music everytime.

Jul 6, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #5,199 of 15,612
Moon Audio is the US is saying “expected July 15”. Obviously I have my doubts..hopefully it will be sometime this month. I’m not calling audio46 anymore as they usually just say “don’t know when we’re getting them”

Jul 6, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #5,200 of 15,612

Actually, most of the KKBox library has moved to hifi which is lossless and a portion are also available on HR which is 48/24. Not every song but most of the ones I have come across are at least lossless now.

Well… I have both Sony and the Chinese brands. It all depends on whether you like their tuning. It is patchy with the Chinese DAPs: you have those with excellent UI/UX but the sound signature you may not like. I prefer Shanling and iBasso. But I suspect YMMV.

Sony made a conscious decision to implement the way they have because they have confidence in their way rather than to do what the Chinese DAPs have done.

Ultimately, it is what sounds good that matters to me. :)

Jul 6, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #5,201 of 15,612
For my region (Hong Kong) there are many songs (Cantonese) in CD or higher quality when I played with the trial. I actually mainly listen to J-Pop and most of the songs they provide are in CD or higher quality too.

Have you tried Apple Music or Tidal as well? There also provide free trial (but need a credit card while KKBox does not)

Btw, it is true that those Chinese brands could bypass Android SRC for streaming while 1AM2/1ZM2 could not. But it doesn’t automatically mean they provide better sound quality than 1AM2/1ZM2. You better listen to the demo units and do side by side comparison yourself. Especially when hi-fi is a subjective hobby.

There are many factors to consider when you choose a DAP, like battery life, use case (streaming vs offline files, IEM/headphone to be used, etc), size, weight, etc. Recommendation from others would be a starting point, but as long as you have the luxury to play with demo units (this seems a privilege living in Asia :darthsmile:), your should always try yourself.
Agree. I think it depends on what genre you listen to. That is also my experience with KKBox.

Agree with the SQ. Implementation is key. Not the paper theories.

Indeed. In Singapore, there is no issue with demo units. Blessed we are. :)

Jul 6, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #5,202 of 15,612
Agree. I think it depends on what genre you listen to. That is also my experience with KKBox.

Agree with the SQ. Implementation is key. Not the paper theories.

Indeed. In Singapore, there is no issue with demo units. Blessed we are. :)
Yes. But the more u demo, the more u will buy .. lol

Jul 6, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #5,203 of 15,612
Actually, most of the KKBox library has moved to hifi which is lossless and a portion are also available on HR which is 48/24. Not every song but most of the ones I have come across are at least lossless now.

Well… I have both Sony and the Chinese brands. It all depends on whether you like their tuning. It is patchy with the Chinese DAPs: you have those with excellent UI/UX but the sound signature you may not like. I prefer Shanling and iBasso. But I suspect YMMV.

Sony made a conscious decision to implement the way they have because they have confidence in their way rather than to do what the Chinese DAPs have done.

Ultimately, it is what sounds good that matters to me. :)
I should be jumping from spotify to kkbox after few day of trial. Mostly listen chinese cantonese song, and yes the 16bit 24bit sound better than spotify.

Was considering ibasso dx240 before I got my 1am2, still prefer sony sound, although ibasso is very clear soundingto me and at a lot cheaper price. But somehow, the simple sony UI made listening to music simple and enjoyable. Dun have to fiddle much with settling. Just turn on DSEE Ultimate and it sound so nice.

Jul 7, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #5,204 of 15,612
I been lately comparing dx320 to wm1zm2 and some of it vs dmp as well 😛 I have many hours on the dx320 now and its well burned in leta say.

Thanks to my friend @pdL389 he have offered me an extremely great experience to properly hear both daps and dmp.
What I can say, sony has its downs but in the end still wins and there is nothing to do. There an extra refinement here and there, sounds more pleasant, can grab an extra edge in textures and details. In every little direction you look while you use the sony you always realize oh yes here its a little bit more refined and sounds so amazing. Sony sound in wm1zm2 is as legendary as the first generation, it simply grabs your soul and shows you the music in a way like you never experienced before. Open your mind and let your self be manipulated and let the sony sound house do its magic with you! Yep its that good and still keeps going that way up.

I do enjoy my dx320 a lot cause it has some similarities to wm1zm2 and a bit more thin/clearer in sound. Dx320 os like a hybrid between 1a and 1z but more to the 1z side as it is a warmer dna.

I totally understand why 1z cost twice the price if dx320 and can live with that cause I understand the fundamentals and performance I got for it. But majority folks might feel dx320 is enough.
Though if you have a very high end gear and cables and audio library there is no doubt you will feel that 1zm2 is way more then just a 5% upgrade over dx320. Its the experience the way music is presented how you hear everything is just beyond and very organical, musical and enchanting!

Sony will still stay the legend and wm1zm2 continues that signature, Long live the king 1zm2!!!

Jul 7, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #5,205 of 15,612
I been lately comparing dx320 to wm1zm2 and some of it vs dmp as well 😛 I have many hours on the dx320 now and its well burned in leta say.

Thanks to my friend @pdL389 he have offered me an extremely great experience to properly hear both daps and dmp.
What I can say, sony has its downs but in the end still wins and there is nothing to do. There an extra refinement here and there, sounds more pleasant, can grab an extra edge in textures and details. In every little direction you look while you use the sony you always realize oh yes here its a little bit more refined and sounds so amazing. Sony sound in wm1zm2 is as legendary as the first generation, it simply grabs your soul and shows you the music in a way like you never experienced before. Open your mind and let your self be manipulated and let the sony sound house do its magic with you! Yep its that good and still keeps going that way up.

I do enjoy my dx320 a lot cause it has some similarities to wm1zm2 and a bit more thin/clearer in sound. Dx320 os like a hybrid between 1a and 1z but more to the 1z side as it is a warmer dna.

I totally understand why 1z cost twice the price if dx320 and can live with that cause I understand the fundamentals and performance I got for it. But majority folks might feel dx320 is enough.
Though if you have a very high end gear and cables and audio library there is no doubt you will feel that 1zm2 is way more then just a 5% upgrade over dx320. Its the experience the way music is presented how you hear everything is just beyond and very organical, musical and enchanting!

Sony will still stay the legend and wm1zm2 continues that signature, Long live the king 1zm2!!!
But it cost so much .. and u need to buy the best iem to match it. Easily sgd7-8k for the whole set up (cable etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back