SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jul 8, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #5,221 of 15,518
So it’s been almost a month of owning the new 1AM2. For anyone sitting on the fence thinking about upgrading to the M2 from the M1, do it.

From an honest person that doesn’t believe in the SD Card/Android degrades audio quality yada. The M2 sounds the same as the M1 with the benefit of not only streaming but a proper functioning Walkman Music app with the ability to search, manage playlists, add next song to queue and much more.
The battery life is incredible compared to other Android DAPs I’ve owned and it is the same if not more hours than the M1.
I have not experienced serious lag, however like my M1 it has the occasional stutter.

The only 2 things I miss from the M1 is the size and Bluetooth receiver.

Hopefully Sony can put up some updates regarding the Bluetooth receiver function.

My M1 is now up for sale as it no longer required.

so 1AM2 sounds like M1 and it does not have bluetooth (which is fantastic for hearing via speakers outside) ?

guess i am fine with M1 then , thanx for the comparisons

Jul 8, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #5,222 of 15,518
so 1AM2 sounds like M1 and it does not have bluetooth (which is fantastic for hearing via speakers outside) ?

It has a Bluetooth transmitter, just not a receiver (yet). This was added in FW in the OG Walkmans too.

Jul 8, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #5,223 of 15,518

It does have bluetooth transmission but not receiving. You can still use them for speakers outside.

However, sound wise, subjectively, I think the WM1AM2 is closer to a WM1Z than a 1A. More lush than speedy and more "height and depth" than "roomy and airy".

Ultimately, for an investment as such, you have to be the final judge after sieving through all these opinions. Most importantly, if given the opportunity, please try it with your gear in store.

In my opinion, while I may not own a WM1ZM2 now, I feel like the clock has started ticking down to the day I buy it. Now is where to find SGD5,000........

Jul 8, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #5,224 of 15,518
It does have bluetooth transmission but not receiving. You can still use them for speakers outside.

However, sound wise, subjectively, I think the WM1AM2 is closer to a WM1Z than a 1A. More lush than speedy and more "height and depth" than "roomy and airy".

Ultimately, for an investment as such, you have to be the final judge after sieving through all these opinions. Most importantly, if given the opportunity, please try it with your gear in store.

In my opinion, while I may not own a WM1ZM2 now, I feel like the clock has started ticking down to the day I buy it. Now is where to find SGD5,000........

I opted to go with wm1am2 even though I loved 1zm1 the most with the first gen. Now that both 1a and 1z m2’s are exactly same hardware and only difference is copper enclosure with kimber kable inside for wiring, I strongly believe 1am2 is now the ultimate reference device because 1z m2 even m1 is a very coloured and musical tuning. They too thick and bassy in nature which leeds into a none reference tuning territory.

On the other hand 1am2 is very transparent and transmits the exact same poweress in hardware yet now with ultimate transparency and none altering sound when reproduced…

With all the experience I gained in my audiophile journey I realize now how much I praise clean transparent and most faithful sound it can be possible to get when playing music. For me 1am2 with copper Kimber kable and ierz1r it’s probably the world’s most transparent and accurate as it can get in the realm of portable.
I do like headphones over iems and I enormously enjoying denon 7200 atm.

What I would share as a conclusive thought is while 1z is great it is not reference nor like the artist meant it to be played lol. It has to much of a signature colour while its extremely addictive it is not reference hence why I chose 1am2 as the new super dap of this new generation.

Jul 8, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #5,225 of 15,518
I opted to go with wm1am2 even though I loved 1zm1 the most with the first gen. Now that both 1a and 1z m2’s are exactly same hardware and only difference is copper enclosure with kimber kable inside for wiring, I strongly believe 1am2 is now the ultimate reference device because 1z m2 even m1 is a very coloured and musical tuning. They too thick and bassy in nature which leeds into a none reference tuning territory.

On the other hand 1am2 is very transparent and transmits the exact same poweress in hardware yet now with ultimate transparency and none altering sound when reproduced…

With all the experience I gained in my audiophile journey I realize now how much I praise clean transparent and most faithful sound it can be possible to get when playing music. For me 1am2 with copper Kimber kable and ierz1r it’s probably the world’s most transparent and accurate as it can get in the realm of portable.
I do like headphones over iems and I enormously enjoying denon 7200 atm.

What I would share as a conclusive thought is while 1z is great it is not reference nor like the artist meant it to be played lol. It has to much of a signature colour while its extremely addictive it is not reference hence why I chose 1am2 as the new super dap of this new generation.
I agree with you that the 1ZM2 and 1Z are very coloured devices. However, 1AM2 is only transparent compared to the 1ZM2. Compared to the original 1A, the original 1A is way more transparent.

I am glad you have found your calling for a clean yet transparent sound in Sony's walkman and earphones. For me I wouldn't call it clean and transparent but rather a natural and relaxing listen. It is something I can just leave in my ears for hours and be like, "Oh I was listening to music".

Sony never intended for these to be as reference as possible but indeed, it is a sound that we just cannot shake off or replicate. Thats why we always walk back into the Sony store and start pulling out that card with the magic numbers :)

Jul 8, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #5,226 of 15,518
SignatureSeries_05.jpg
Sometimes that's the most appropriate word to use. Sony sure knows how to do sexy!
God..... Now I know who to blame when I find myself clicking the buy button on a TA-ZH1ES in the next couple of days.

Jul 8, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #5,227 of 15,518

Well, it will be worth the purchase. You can of course wait for the occasional Sony offers or during one of the Shopee/Lazada sales, where you can collect vouchers. :)

Jul 8, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #5,228 of 15,518
God..... Now I know who to blame when I find myself clicking the buy button on a TA-ZH1ES in the next couple of days.
You should get it as soon as possible. If you fully intend to have one. Cos stock seems to be dissipating.

Jul 8, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #5,229 of 15,518
Maybe I really should, been doing very little desktop listening lately as my DX7s got no remote, and with my lazy chair more than 2m away from it, that's a BIG problem, also frankly, I just prefer the sound of my 1A than it.
Im still recovering from my ADX5000 purchase tho, so gotta heal up a bit first.

Jul 8, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #5,230 of 15,518

Maybe missing the dmp in that picture 🤔 hmmm 😛😛😛😛

Jul 8, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #5,231 of 15,518
Well, it will be worth the purchase. You can of course wait for the occasional Sony offers or during one of the Shopee/Lazada sales, where you can collect vouchers. :)
Thanks for sharing but for now, I am actually looking to have a Sony IEM for my on the go uses, maybe an XBA-Z5, IER-M9 or UM MEST MKII.

But just like @Sp12er3, I'm also healing from my insane expenditure, albeit for me, on Sony products in the past 2 quarters. First a WM1Z then an IER-Z1R and as a footnote, an MDR-M1ST.

At this point I can't even afford grass to eat but my eardrums are experiencing pure bliss.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #5,232 of 15,518
Dignis Patina cases are incoming ...

IMG_5FCC96E940AB-1.jpeg

IMG_260F75B4BCE0-1.jpeg

IMG_CBA020A9CF58-1.jpeg

Jul 8, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #5,233 of 15,518
I wish Sony would give a little love to their high-end products. As of this afternoon, no stock on the new WM in all of the 6 U.S. warehouses.

The supply chain is still very messy... I ordered a Canon EOS R7 it was suppose to ship last month and now there is no ETA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back