SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jun 9, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #4,876 of 15,590
@Bigbeat I’ll re-read it shortly and double check but I thought that conversation was more around improving the Android performance rather than improving SQ. What exactly improves with the sound after de-bloating Android?

Edit: I searched through the thread and could only find discussions related to improving Android performance and battery life. Could you link any sound quality improvement impressions please?

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #4,877 of 15,590
Streaming service is so much convenient. I do not mind any sound degrading at all .. if you are seeking perfection sounding device, you should not be even looking at dap in the first place.

What negative consequences user laziness/desire for convenience has in the long run, it could clearly be seen with OS for mobile phones.
Mainly for the reason that too many users wanted to have a dedicated application for each nonsense that could have been done via a browser otherwise, Windows 10 Mobile and BlackBerry OS10 were pushed out of the market. We have had only Apple iOS and Google Android since then with all the disadvanteges these mobile OS have.

What would you advise to buy if one liked to buy a perfectly souding device for on-the-go then? A transistor radio?:L3000:

Jun 9, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #4,878 of 15,590
Anyway, all I’m saying is that people shouldn’t write off the new Walkmans in fear that it won’t sound good due to Android. It most certainly sounds good🤘
If a device in the $.$$$ price range needs to be debloated first so that the playing time per battery charge increases, completely unnecessary processess are stopped with the goal of increasing the SQ, what is such a device ripe for other than being written off???
Especially if the debloating has to be done after each and every Android update, if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #4,879 of 15,590
I can't really make a comment about comparing the effect of Android on SQ, since I don't have access to a CN Mark II or have if there's a way to mod the M2s with a Walkman OS. I concede it would have been amazing if Sony offered a dual-boot mode.

Nonetheless I can say there is a marked difference in sound presentation between the Mark I and Mark II. To my experience, the M2 units detail retrieval and balance is a step up from the older models.

Personally, I am indifferent about big tech harvesting data. There are tons of strategies to mitigate the privacy concerns.
Here you are contradicting yourself.
Have you compared M1 to M2 while M1 being on the stock FW or a modded one (e.g. Mr. Walkman's Walkman One)? M1 tuned in DMP-Z1 would make the comparison look differently.

Why should one have to take care of "mitigating privacy concerns" and lose time with debloating a device in the price range of $.$$$?

Jun 9, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #4,880 of 15,590
Well, even without debloating to optimise that last 5-10%. The M2s last longer than the M1s.

There was a comment about applying custom firmware on the Walkman OS DAPs and how we are universally okay with this type of modification/ tweaking. But we stick our noses up when tweaking android device.

There's a healthy exchange of people trying out an amazing number of config settings on their Mr. Walkman CFW (myself included).

By definition audiophiles like to tinker, at least that's the philosophy I take.

Jun 9, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #4,881 of 15,590
I was talking about a direct comparison between the M1 and the M2 in terms of hardware, which frankly is pretty much the only direct means of comparison. I also mentioned my impressions were subjective

If it wasn't clear enough, my meaning is: I can't make a judgement on the 'theory' that android has an effect on SQ. I also doubt anyone else can unless you can actually get an M2 with different OS installed.

Until I can compare those two variables. My mind is open to android affecting SQ.

Jun 9, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #4,882 of 15,590
Different strokes for different people.. Some people actually like Android, and it’s not like Sony is deceiving its customers by concealing the fact that the M2s are running Android… It‘s one of their selling points that’s marketed heavily…

For those who don’t like it, please move on and find a device that better suit your needs…

Jun 9, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #4,884 of 15,590
If a device in the $.$$$ price range needs to be debloated first so that the playing time per battery charge increases, completely unnecessary processess are stopped with the goal of increasing the SQ, what is such a device ripe for other than being written off???
Especially if the debloating has to be done after each and every Android update, if I am not mistaken.
Where's the problem? So if I pay same $$$$ for AK, doesn't need to be debloated, doesn't have Google Android, but the end result WM1ZM2 has equal or better battery life and SQ out of the box.

And using car analogy, what is the problem if a car is blocked from modding? Why are we comparing modded cars to stock car forms?

If it's a philosophical world issue against Google, why are you targeting Sony and it's DAPs. This headifi forum is harvesting your data and moderated too.

Jun 9, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #4,885 of 15,590
Ummm sorry but what are you talking about?! I haven’t debloated my Walkman and the battery life is fine. In fact it lasts the longest out of all my Android daps .The sound quality is also excellent, probably equal best with my Cayin N8ii to my ears. So who says that you need to perform a debloat?

It’s literally one of the best sounding DAPs on the market straight out of the box dude. Why should it be written off?

Jun 9, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #4,886 of 15,590
Well, even without debloating to optimise that last 5-10%. The M2s last longer than the M1s.
IIRC, the battery capacity of M1s was somewhere around 1.650 mAh, whereas the one of M2s was somewhere between 3.000 and 4.000 mAh.
So actually it would be fairer to compare the average playing time per one mAh of battery capacity.

Jun 9, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #4,888 of 15,590
IIRC, the battery capacity of M1s was somewhere around 1.650 mAh, whereas the one of M2s was somewhere between 3.000 and 4.000 mAh.
So actually it would be fairer to compare the average playing time per one mAh of battery capacity.
This doesn’t make sense at all. You compare them based on playback time. This is all that matters. I don’t care if one of them had a trillion mAh, if one lasts longer than the other when playing music, that’s all that matters.

Haters gonna hate, it seems.

Jun 9, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #4,889 of 15,590
This is classic example why engineers should remain as engineers and not be making decisions in management 😅

Jun 9, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #4,890 of 15,590
There was a comment about applying custom firmware on the Walkman OS DAPs and how we are universally okay with this type of modification/ tweaking. But we stick our noses up when tweaking android device.
I perceive a big difference between modification/tweaks of M1s and M2s.
With M1s and speaking only of MrWalkman SW mods it is about unlocking the HW capabilities that were intentionally limited/deactivated by SONY and some SW tuning as well.
With M2s it is all about mitigating and/or compensating the disadvanteges brought about by Google Android.

I do like modding/tweaking with M1s.
I cannot find any single reason why I should loose time with compensating the disasters incorporated in the OS of M2s.

On top of that so far it looks like SW tweaking similar to M1s is impossible with M2s.

This doesn’t make sense at all. You compare them based on playback time. This is all that matters. I don’t care if one of them had a trillion mAh, if one lasts longer than the other when playing music, that’s all that matters.

Haters gonna hate, it seems.
Moment. Who came up with the argument "The M2s last longer than the M1s." first? Not me.
If you want to compare apples to oranges (i.e. not taking into account the material reason why M2s play music longer), it is your choice and fight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back