SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jun 8, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #4,835 of 15,612
I'm very new to DAPs + iems and I have a novice question.

With a constrained budget, is it better to go wm1am2 + u12t or wm1zm2 dap only?

I don't have much suitable gear on hand, just a Th900mkii + balanced cable (25ohms, 100db/mv), and a entry level CHU's for my smartphone. If I do get the ZM2, the plan was to use it with the headphones and in long-term get some funds maybe for a used M9.

So really what it means I can't afford the 1ZM2 with suitable iems. I'm a bit fussy with desktop sources, so I thought I'd appreciate the extra resolution and detail of the Z over the A.

Thanks guys
Welcome to the community! Don't be shy and do hit us up with more questions!

In my honest opinion, I would rather you buy a 1AM2 with the U12T rather than the 1ZM2. The difference between the AM2 and ZM2 is not as stark as the price tag difference and the power output is the same between both, that is, not a lot of power.

Therefore, I would rather you save the money on the ZM2, buy the 1AM2 with the U12t then decide if the M9 is the next step up for you. After all, the most noticeable difference comes from changing headphones/earphones.

Who knows? Maybe after trying the 1AM2, you may plot your next upgrade path towards the 1ZM2. :)

Jun 8, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #4,836 of 15,612

I don't have much suitable gear on hand, just a Th900mkii + balanced cable (25ohms, 100db/mv), and a entry level CHU's for my smartphone. If I do get the ZM2, the plan was to use it with the headphones and in long-term get some funds maybe for a used M9.

So really what it means I can't afford the 1ZM2 with suitable iems. I'm a bit fussy with desktop sources, so I thought I'd appreciate the extra resolution and detail of the Z over the A.

Thanks guys
If u r new, maybe u should start off with cheaper option. Then along the way u will know what u need. Jump to 1zm2 is way too much, even for serious hobby ppl. Unless cash is not a issue, but hey u miss out the fun trying cheaper option.

U have to consider the whole setup. Probably ur iem need to cost usd 1.5k above to match ur player, not forgetting the iem cable too.

Jun 8, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #4,837 of 15,612
1AM2 is actually very good, especially if you listen to non-instrumental stuff more. This is to me personally, but the 1ZM2 should only be considered if you listen to stuff that are more emphasized or is about instruments but if you're more into digitized / synthesized, AM2 is better. As another user has mentioned, what you put on your ear makes more of the difference than the DAP itself. I personally love the IER-Z1R, but that's also a very expensive IEM in itself. A lot of people praise the M7 and M9 as well.

Jun 8, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #4,839 of 15,612
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Yes I'll be joining the Sony clan either way 😊

I'm still getting a hang of things with audio, but I'm still getting in grips with if actually prefer those subtle details in the front end or big changes from the iem/headphone.

Like for example, I really enjoy things like adding/taking out the DDC in my desktop chain, or trying various entry level DACs like Bifrost 2 which I enjoyed the dynamics but it can't catch up with the Qutest imaging, separation and detail.

I wish I could demo these in person but the Sony store won't have them until August earliest. Just going from online videos (totally unreliable), it feels the 1am2 has a lot of sharp transient details but there's no detail within it, it's so quick I can hear all the strings plucking or the edge of the voices but there's no detail within the actual sound. The 1zm2 feels like it gives back the missing details inside the voice or the note of the instrument. I suppose it's the poor recordings, it's hooked up to a Sony audio recorder, and possibly the audio level was clipped or similar.

I have actually placed an order for 1am2 but possibly regretting not going for 1zm2. I do have a day or two to decide at most with Sony HQ agreeing to hold my order for the time being.

I don't think you'll regret getting the 1am2 over the 1zm2 (at least for the time being). As a fellow 1am2 owner/user, I certainly don't regret not going for the 1zm2 (mainly because of the price difference, but also because I feel the 1am2 isn't really a massive downgrade from the 1zm2). That being said, if you feel the need to splurge and just end all the "what-ifs" then by all means get the 1zm2 and never, ever look back! :p

Also, welcome to the Sony DAP community! You certainly won't be disappointed with either DAP :)

Jun 8, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #4,840 of 15,612
I don't think you'll regret getting the 1am2 over the 1zm2 (at least for the time being). As a fellow 1am2 owner/user, I certainly don't regret not going for the 1zm2 (mainly because of the price difference, but also because I feel the 1am2 isn't really a massive downgrade from the 1zm2). That being said, if you feel the need to splurge and just end all the "what-ifs" then by all means get the 1zm2 and never, ever look back! :p

Also, welcome to the Sony DAP community! You certainly won't be disappointed with either DAP :)
Thanks, I didn't quite expect the strong response from everyone for 1AM2!

I have just contacted Sony HQ to go with the 1AM2, no turning back anymore :o2smile:

Seems like the 1AM2 is the real dark horse with its aggressive lower/competitive pricing.

Jun 8, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #4,841 of 15,612

Thanks guys
IMHO look to the first gen, they don't stream, however the options are innumerable between official and custom firmware. Making the WM1A/Z or ZX300 one the most tuneable players on the market. Sadly the second generation is very much a locked down device with far fewer user options. When my Sony DAP's fail I'll look to another brand as Google's locked down data harvesting Android model is very far from my preference...:slight_frown:

Q-6

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #4,843 of 15,612
And there goes the long waiting time for ur player to arrive .. lol
If anyone is interested in Australian stock, the 1AM2 is available at the end of this month and 1ZM2 in August!

Surprisingly I'm feeling really calm with the long wait. I think Sony had 5 years over other brands to develop and refine it. I'm confident I won't be let down for it being my first DAP!

I truly believe they produced the best DAP humanly possible within the set boundaries/restrictions given by management, i.e. budget, materials, manufacturing, pricing.

I'm actually excited that it's android based and is capable of streaming. I'm sure they'll lose users over this but they'll get twice as much new users like me 😁

Imagine the team working on w1m2 series, turning up to the office for 5 years working on the same product, I'm sure they've done a lot to suppress the noise and refine other issues. It's like their second child.

It's always a special feeling when buying a product that's been carefully designed and made. I made a choice with Sony as it offered streaming, soft gentle sound, and the shape of the player is beautifully sculpted!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #4,844 of 15,612
If anyone is interested in Australian stock, the 1AM2 is available at the end of this month and 1ZM2 in August!

Surprisingly I'm feeling really calm with the long wait. I think Sony had 5 years over other brands to develop and refine it. I'm confident I won't be let down for it being my first DAP!

I truly believe they produced the best DAP humanly possible within the set boundaries/restrictions given by management, i.e. budget, materials, manufacturing, pricing.

I'm actually excited that it's android based and is capable of streaming. I'm sure they'll lose users over this but they'll get twice as much new users like me 😁

Imagine the team working on w1m2 series, turning up to the office for 5 years working on the same product, I'm sure they've done a lot to suppress the noise and refine other issues. It's like their second child.

It's always a special feeling when buying a product that's been carefully designed and made. I made a choice with Sony as it offered streaming, soft gentle sound, and the shape of the player is beautifully sculpted!
At this price point Sony will loose more sales. Google Android is both intrusive and negatively impacts SQ, Open Android was the obvious choice, however Sony sold out to big tech. Sony wants to see my $$$$ they need to lead, not merely follow the crowd....

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #4,845 of 15,612
At this price point Sony will loose more sales. Google Android is both intrusive and negatively impacts SQ, Open Android was the obvious choice, however Sony sold out to big tech. Sony wants to see my $$$$ they need to lead, not merely follow the crowd....
I could not have expressed it better.:thumbsup:

I am in the same boat as far as my future DAP is concerned if SONY does not get wise in the meantime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back