SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 22, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #1,171 of 15,763
The initial 2 clicks before playback might be due to mechanical relays but the third click is the issue here which happens when the music has already started playing.
On the old models the relays also click at the start of a track when tracks change between the 2 base clocks 44/48 khz and derived rates

Mar 22, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #1,177 of 15,763
It's true, but honestly, I would like to be able to afford the gold brick, but I am not able to mentally justify such a purchase to myself. If the 1AM2 actually reaches the WM1Z level, that would be really great from my point of view. There should be a noticeable upgrade over my ZX-507. I will try to write my comparison of this two players using MDR-Z1R headphones.

Mar 22, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #1,178 of 15,763
It's true, but honestly, I would like to be able to afford the gold brick, but I am not able to mentally justify such a purchase to myself. If the 1AM2 actually reaches the WM1Z level, that would be really great from my point of view. There should be a noticeable upgrade over my ZX-507. I will try to write my comparison of this two players using MDR-Z1R headphones.
I have the ZX-507, and the ZX2 as well. I was never a fan of the ZX-507 -- and I've been A/B testing these against the WM1Z the last few days - unbalanced, on Fostex TH-X00, Sony XBA-Z5, WI1000XM2 and WH-1000XM4. For me - it's ZX-507 (decent all round but no character) < ZX2 (lots of character, deep bass, underpowered for full headphones, a bit "unclean") < WM1Z (clean, depth, warmth - my new benchmark). I got the WM1Z for exactly the same money as the WM1AM2. I don't miss the lack of Android or streaming functionality - for LDAC and streaming I still use the ZX-507 or my iPhone 13 mini. The Z is for offline music enjoyment.

I think you will love the WM1AM2. It will be a big step up from the ZX-507, with all the functionality it brought to the table. An all-in-one portable audio solution. A true Walkman for 2022.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #1,179 of 15,763
I hope that I will not be disappointed. But I shouldn't, in the end it should still be the Sony sound that I love, only in a better version. For me, streaming is key, this is the reason why I didn't look at the first generation of WM series. I really like the ZX-507 in terms of its sound. So much that it replaced the much more expensive Shanling M8. In addition, I have recently noticed that it sounds noticeably better for me on the low gain setting. Better soundstage and generally softer, more analog sound. Low gain plus vinyl processor + MDR-Z1R and I get an extremely musical and fatigue-free sound that is not boring but engaging.

Mar 22, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #1,180 of 15,763
I hope that I will not be disappointed. But I shouldn't, in the end it should still be the Sony sound that I love, only in a better version. For me, streaming is key, this is the reason why I didn't look at the first generation of WM series. I really like the ZX-507 in terms of its sound. So much that it replaced the much more expensive Shanling M8. In addition, I have recently noticed that it sounds noticeably better for me on the low gain setting. Better soundstage and generally softer, more analog sound. Low gain plus vinyl processor + MDR-Z1R and I get an extremely musical and fatigue-free sound that is not boring but engaging.
If you liked the ZX-507, the WM1AM2 will blow you away. Especially with that wonderful Z1R you have. Prepare your couch for audio bliss.

Mar 22, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #1,183 of 15,763
For those who own current generation(~2016 and beyond) Sony headphones and IEMs:

On the A105/ZX507 and the WM1M2 series, you should use the Sony headphones app to register and create a headphone/iem device profile which has two sets, one for Sony bluetooth devices and another for all current Sony wired iems/headphones. Do note that you need active wifi connection to register wired iem/headphones.

In my own personal observations(not officially stated by Sony), after you create a device profile, the android Walkman will adjust its frequency balance and spacial sound processing to better suit the selected Sony iem/headphone/Bluetooth headphone. On top of that, you can use the 360RA ear photo scan to create your own personal profile so as to further improve the accuracy of the 360RA/spacial sound processing.

Meaning if you own both IER-M9 and IER-Z1R for example, you can switch between these two iem profiles using the headphone app. In my experience when I switch to the IER-M9, the walkman frequency balance is adjusted to suit the M9 better. If you use the wrong profile for the connect iem/headphone then it won’t sound as good, e.g if you selected the IER-Z1R profile with the IER-M9 plugged in, it won’t sound as good as the correct IER-M9 profile selected. If you are owning only one Sony iem or headphone, then by creating one single profile and you are all set to go.

Though if you own other non-Sony headphone/iem as well, I am not sure how you are going to bypass this device profile sound processing once you enable it. Maybe you need to delete all profiles in the app.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #1,184 of 15,763
What I missing on The new dap,s of Sony is that these have no button on the outside for turning on or set off The WiFi.

Mar 22, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #1,185 of 15,763
Sony UK marketing email to me uses the old models for referencing the new 😆

Screenshot_20220322-173941_Gmail.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back