SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 25, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #766 of 15,986
Feb 25, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #767 of 15,986
They bypass it in the Sony app and uapp

I'm not sure it has been verified but the published literature indicates the same audio paths as A100 and ZX500 series for 3rd party apps (which do not bypass SRC). UAPP appears to work, but without MQA rendering.
Thanks guys, that was what I was “concerned”. As I use Apple Music, UAPP doesn’t help much (not that I’m aware it’s compatible). I still want to see how it sounds.

Feb 27, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #771 of 15,986
For 3700 euro it needs to offer : free support to Android 12 and above, 512 GB internal memory, OLED screen and at least 500 mW@ 32 ohm.
Many other high end players can be had at lower prices with better specifications.
Just saying..
Just saying..... Does tera player has all that? ...is not android, no internal memory, no screen, and almost no mw (joking).... The price almost the same and you love it, right?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #772 of 15,986
I am still undecided, I tried the AcroCA 1000 from astell & Kern and it blew me away, also, the sp2000t was amazing, I really want to try the 1ZM2, it better impress me.y I agree with the comment above, for $4,200 it better outperform musically or else the are better choices these days other than the name walkman.

Feb 28, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #776 of 15,986
For 3700 euro it needs to offer : free support to Android 12 and above, 512 GB internal memory, OLED screen and at least 500 mW@ 32 ohm.
Many other high end players can be had at lower prices with better specifications.
Just saying..

Is there any with android 10/11 (allowing system level DSP/EQ), a Class D amp that allows to stay cold in a shirt pocket and allow a perfect battery management to be able to provide 40 hours continuous playing 24/96 flac files in such light/compact format ?
As I dream to find such one with a much cheaper price access .. I am really interested with your answer !

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #777 of 15,986
Is there any with android 10/11 (allowing system level DSP/EQ), a Class D amp that allows to stay cold in a shirt pocket and allow a perfect battery management to be able to provide 40 hours continuous playing 24/96 flac files in such light/compact format ?
As I dream to find such one with a much cheaper price access .. I am really interested with your answer !
You get very long playback time but you sacrifice the power output.
Can't have them both unless the music player is very big and heavy.

Feb 28, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #778 of 15,986
You get very long playback time but you sacrifice the power output.
Can't have them both unless the music player is very big and heavy.
With class D instead Class A or AB ?
I think Sony could do any power level output, but, I think like often Japanese firms, they don't want to risk any lawsuit with too much sound power which could be armful for users. I am afraid other companies just don't have the tech to compete with Sony's tech, particularly regarding batteries management.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #779 of 15,986
I think Sony could do any power level output, but, I think like often Japanese firms, they don't want to risk any lawsuit with too much sound power which could be armful for users. I am afraid other companies just don't have the tech to compete with Sony's tech, particularly regarding batteries management.
I think Sony is just a fan of the idea of iteration and refinement rather than being worried about lawsuits. Pretty sure they have enough money to deal with any that come their way. I however, do agree with you on the battery management front that Sony got it right but it remains to be seen with the M2s.

The new walkman literally uses the same S-Master HX DAC/AMP with the same power output but android, 0.03% more purity in copper and some thicc capacitors. And yet, many of us here are still going to buy it cos a Sony is a Sony.

We are not on this ride for the power output but rather because you cannot buy the Sony sound experience from anyone else.

Feb 28, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #780 of 15,986
At the introduction of the WM1 daps in 2016 Sony stated that this was the max output this technology/implementation was able to produce and they’ve obviously not been able or willing ti change that since the new players use the same circuits and have the same output

Users who are viewing this thread

Back