SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 20, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #707 of 15,612
So? You are saying that it’s a planned response?
Check the FW and Region tabs.
I would also say that....... that it is a controlled direction that was taken. Like a journey? Though the wild card is all the regions and how they were/are included to complicate matters!

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #708 of 15,612
So? You are saying that it’s a planned response?

I would also say that....... that it is a controlled direction that was taken. Like a journey? Though the wild card is all the regions and how they were/are included to complicate matters!
I don't agree. The regions are static across the globe and the FW changes are dynamic. When the FW changes and the sound changes, the region stays the same thus the intent is not homogeneous. They are not taking the regions into account when making the changes; they have to have a static starting point and work towards a goal. With all the regional options this makes it impossible. Lastly if they had a vision for the 1A and 1Z then as time went by then why was the 1Z brought closer to the 1A. I just came from the stock FW 1.02 and can understand what they did and why they did it, but I would of embraced the betterment of the device without going a different direction. Make the soundstage grander and the overall presentation less congested without changing the overall sound profile.

I don't like to respond directly to people as I want to hear others opinions and they don't have to agree, so I think that approach fosters better engagement. The only problem is that I know who is who and that some may be highly biased and there is no way I can change their minds. I just like to chime in from time to time just to keep things more even keeled. I am happy to have streaming on the new device by the way...

Feb 20, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #709 of 15,612
Feb 20, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #710 of 15,612
Feb 20, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #711 of 15,612
Feb 20, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #712 of 15,612
Feb 21, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #715 of 15,612
Do we know how much tech trickled down from the DMP-Z1 to the Z1M2? I would really like a Baby DMP-Z1 :)

Feb 21, 2022 at 2:47 AM Post #716 of 15,612
I wonder if the SE output will also use better capacitors and will generally not be neglected compared to BAL. In addition to the MDR-Z1R, I also have the Grado PS1000, which I like a lot lately, so it would be good not to feel that I am listening from a worse (SE) hole :)

Feb 21, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #717 of 15,612
I wonder if the SE output will also use better capacitors and will generally not be neglected compared to BAL. In addition to the MDR-Z1R, I also have the Grado PS1000, which I like a lot lately, so it would be good not to feel that I am listening from a worse (SE) hole :)

Yes, it uses the same capacitors as the balanced side, only fewer of them.

Feb 21, 2022 at 3:25 AM Post #718 of 15,612
Have no idea how to read that doc being amateur =)
Basically it’s one person’s subjective feelings about headphones used with the 1A. So it’s basic guidelines as to the affect of regions and firmwares on tone. There is nothing quite like it, so it’s cool.

I myself am not that curious about all the ramifications of regions and firmwares, though throughout the years, I have had my share. I have heard enough to kinda know my way around. The info on the charts is by no means complete, and it’s just someone’s findings. Though no one else has gone to the trouble to make such a thing!

The issue was/is at some point you have to wonder what the interaction of all the firmwares and regions? Truly there is no totally complete list but we spend time trying stuff and happen to chance upon a few that we like. I forget who but someone took the time to add up all the different regions and combinations with just Walkman One, or a version before it and it was a lot!

It’s probably something (an info graph) that few trust themselves to do, have the time or initiative to do? I mean the choices are truly spellbinding when you think about all the firmwares that have been released.

Remember too, the sound quality depends on an individuals IEMs, the cable maybe......original region of the player! The amount of burn-in. The personal ear physical shape and hearing psychology come into play. And that thing we simply call preference! What ever that is? :) Ear tips themselves have a huge affect on end sound! It also depends on what firmware you are coming from; meaning some firmwares will sound extra bright when they are not due to the firmware you were just using was extra dark! So to have any objective ideas is nothing short of a gift, if someone does put them into a graph!

Plus don’t forget 4.4mm and 3.5mm have their own sound, which 2X the outcomes here!

So being that the list goes to a point to bring up objective values is amazing in a way.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #719 of 15,612
Basically it’s one person’s subjective feelings about headphones used with the 1A. So it’s basic guidelines as to the affect of regions and firmwares on tone. There is nothing quite like it, so it’s cool.

I myself am not that curious about all the ramifications of regions and firmwares, though throughout the years, I have had my share. I have heard enough to kinda know my way around. The info on the charts is by no means complete, and it’s just someone’s findings. Though no one else has gone to the trouble to make such a thing!

The issue was/is at some point you have to wonder what the interaction of all the firmwares and regions? Truly there is no totally complete list but we spend time trying stuff and happen to chance upon a few that we like. I forget who but someone took the time to add up all the different regions and combinations with just Walkman One, or a version before it and it was a lot!

It’s probably something (an info graph) that few trust themselves to do, have the time or initiative to do? I mean the choices are truly spellbinding when you think about all the firmwares that have been released.

Remember too, the sound quality depends on an individuals IEMs, the cable maybe......original region of the player! The amount of burn-in. The personal ear physical shape and hearing psychology come into play. And that thing we simply call preference! What ever that is? :) Ear tips themselves have a huge affect on end sound! It also depends on what firmware you are coming from; meaning some firmwares will sound extra bright when they are not due to the firmware you were just using was extra dark! So to have any objective ideas is nothing short of a gift, if someone does put them into a graph!

Plus don’t forget 4.4mm and 3.5mm have their own sound, which 2X the outcomes here!

So being that the list goes to a point to bring up objective values is amazing in a way.
Yeah I get that much, just don't understand how to read his table besides settings he used for levels.

As for the rest on wm1a, yes and it is also very dependant to each as well. From my point of view, Japanese firmware since 2.x but didn't really notice much of a sound difference between original of what I had up to Sony's newest.

However Mr. walkmans custom firmware was noticably different. The first one I tried from him, I didn't like it at all as it made it...to me..a bit muddy. But after the the one right before the current 'one' and it, I liked the difference and current running his firmware.

I use. The IEM-Z1R with stock balanced mainly but occasionally use XBAZ5 Kimber balanced for bass heavy and Mermaid 4 on unbalanced when I want it brighter or louder sounding

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #720 of 15,612
Actually for all the existing 1A/1Z owners, do you guys frequently alternate and use both outputs? I pretty much use just the 4.4 out and put a dust cover on my 3.5 port. I don't really have a use for it since I already have almost everything terminated in 4.4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back