SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 17, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #586 of 15,604
I don't live in Asia so I have no idea, just passing on info from Sony rep. He is a North American rep so I don't know how knowledgeable about the Sony service he is. But he should be knowledgeable about what Sony products will be sold here and linux base DAP's are a no go after the A55 sales lifespan is over.
Ok. So it's not over yet but will end very soon, March 29, ironically when M2 is just coming out, with no announcement of another service. So curious if he's talking about this or another thing

https://mora-qualitas.com/notice/

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #587 of 15,604
If it's kpop, I'm going to say AM2
ah yeah. for some irrational reason i just want to own the shiny gold brick, even though its expensive and i dont really stream and i probably cant hear the difference lol. i have so much life left in my zx507 and wm1a that i dont think i’d love an ‘upgrade’ to the 1am2. i know this is all silly, i guess i’ll just wait for more reviews to trickle in

Feb 17, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #588 of 15,604
ah yeah. for some irrational reason i just want to own the shiny gold brick, even though its expensive and i dont really stream and i probably cant hear the difference lol. i have so much life left in my zx507 and wm1a that i dont think i’d love an ‘upgrade’ to the 1am2. i know this is all silly, i guess i’ll just wait for more reviews to trickle in
I'll compare 1a and 1am2 from an amateur and none technical aspect. If I don't like am2 I can probably still sell it 1000-1200

Feb 17, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #589 of 15,604
Here are some brief impressions of post-burn in 1ZM2 I found on twitter: https://tecstaff.jp/2022-02-17_wm-1zm2_review.html

It just seems like the 1ZM2 sounds 'more realistic' but I'm personally wondering which one is tuned best for female vocals and electronic music (like kpop). I have a feeling that's more of what the 1AM2 is going for…
Actually, I'm going to disagree with the comments here advocating for you to get the WM1AM2. I listen to a lot of Jpop and electronic music (Without You by Avicii, Red Lights by Tiesto, Gamushara by Chico with Honeyworks etc.) and having heard the WM1ZM2, female vocals really do stretch a little further. Additionally, while bass attacks are slower, the depth and rumble is more present, making it a nice choice for electronic or songs with a lot of drums. The gold one really just does treble and bass much better than the black ones imo

However, I know the asking price is a lot so if you did just buy the 1AM2 I don't think you will regret it. In fact, I think you will love music even more! :)

Feb 18, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #590 of 15,604
Actually, I'm going to disagree with the comments here advocating for you to get the WM1AM2. I listen to a lot of Jpop and electronic music (Without You by Avicii, Red Lights by Tiesto, Gamushara by Chico with Honeyworks etc.) and having heard the WM1ZM2, female vocals really do stretch a little further. Additionally, while bass attacks are slower, the depth and rumble is more present, making it a nice choice for electronic or songs with a lot of drums. The gold one really just does treble and bass much better than the black ones imo

However, I know the asking price is a lot so if you did just buy the 1AM2 I don't think you will regret it. In fact, I think you will love music even more! :)
Where did you audit the WM1ZM2?

Feb 18, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #592 of 15,604
Where did you audit the WM1ZM2?
Pleased to see another Singaporean around here! Connect-It at 313 had both M2s on demo from launch till 15 Feb 2022 and will have it again from 2nd to 8th March. I am not sure who the units have been rotated to now. There are 2 pairs of WM1AM2 and WM1ZM2 rotating across various Sony premium retailers in SG.

A sure-fire way to know if there is a demo is to just call Sony Wisma or Sony 313, they are the biggest and they have the highest chance of having.

Hope this helps! :)

Addendum: You can refer to my posts and discussions on the other WM1AM2/WM1ZM2 thread here for more SG related new Walkman stuffs: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...cessors-to-the-wm1a-wm1z.961951/post-16807549

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 1:27 AM Post #593 of 15,604
Also wanted to ask how the other IE900 in here look by now? Today i noticed a first tiny scuff on the edge of the surface with the Logo. Tbh this is the only area where i expect scuffs to be noticable anyway but with some people carrying them on a daily basis with the two aluminium buds touching each other i cant be the only one right? Right?? :sweat:

Does this mean EDM sound better on the 1AM2 than the 1ZM2?

Feb 18, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #594 of 15,604

if it's anything like originals..for me personally, live instrumental sounds better on Z while digital and "fake" instruments usually sounded better on A (at least for me) voice, people say Z has better female voice, but I assume they mean high-pitched voices. The artists I usually liken to, couldn't really tell the difference between the devices that much, neither was more lively than the other but again, i don't listen to too many high-pitched female voices. it's usually some sort of humming type or rap-ish style for me.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #595 of 15,604
Pleased to see another Singaporean around here! Connect-It at 313 had both M2s on demo from launch till 15 Feb 2022 and will have it again from 2nd to 8th March. I am not sure who the units have been rotated to now. There are 2 pairs of WM1AM2 and WM1ZM2 rotating across various Sony premium retailers in SG.

A sure-fire way to know if there is a demo is to just call Sony Wisma or Sony 313, they are the biggest and they have the highest chance of having.

Hope this helps! :)

Addendum: You can refer to my posts and discussions on the other WM1AM2/WM1ZM2 thread here for more SG related new Walkman stuffs: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...cessors-to-the-wm1a-wm1z.961951/post-16807549
Great. Thank you for your infor.
For now the next question is if we know there is different tuning for different regions.
From WM1AM1 and WM1ZM1, seems like Japan unit sounds the best.

Feb 18, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #596 of 15,604
I feel that EDM sounds better on the 1ZM2. In my opinion, there are two kinds of feelings people want from EDM: Speed or Rumble.
"Speed" people prefer faster transients, snappier drum hits and snares and in general a quicker, roomier sound.
"Rumble" people (like myself) love the deep bass notes from bass drops and like longer decays on bass notes.

Therefore, I mentioned that I like the 1ZM2/1Z because they cater to a more "Rumble" kind of sound whereas the 1A/1AM2 cater to a more "Speed" kind of sound. Your tastes will differ and your choice of Walkman will hence differ.

Either way, this is all subjective. Most importantly, listen to music how you like to listen to it and please try out a 4K USD player before losing your life savings on it.

Feb 18, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #597 of 15,604
Great. Thank you for your infor.
For now the next question is if we know there is different tuning for different regions.
From WM1AM1 and WM1ZM1, seems like Japan unit sounds the best.
If you have the cash, just go and import from Japan if you really feel there will be a difference. In Singapore, Connect-It is claiming you will get a memorabilia from the chief engineer Sato-san if you preorder.

If I were you, I want that memorabilia for owning what will almost certainly be a memorable piece of audiophile history.

Feb 18, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #599 of 15,604
Wow that's kinda sad to be honest that the last we had is leftovers. But I like to think that Sony Singapore received and sold newer ones already so we are just picking up what's left.
I doubt that was case because I think they would sell older sets first (we could not choose between different BNIB sets when we make the purchase). It's possible that the demand for 1Z in Singapore went down as Covid came and they didn't import newer sets. Still ours are BNIB, the battery remains intact and they sounds amazing. Let's ignore the "left over" part so we can skip the sad part 😝
Your point regarding android is exactly the same as I made in the speculations thread and I wholeheartedly concur with you. With a CPU this slow, I have a very bad feeling about this device's life cycle and lifespan. Perhaps Sony plans to shorten its release cycle for Signature Series?
Did you notice how the battery dropped so quick while trying at Connect IT. I think it was because of the big display. I think the display may lead to more frequent charging cycles thus shorter lifespan over all practically. If I ever get the mk 2 that screen will stay off most of the time.
I literally bought a device that has been sitting in the box for 3 years, designed 6 years ago but thanks Sato-san's sweat and tears as well as the team that wrote WalkmanOS, it feels like just yesterday that my WM1Z was launched.
Exactly! Lot of love to Sato-sama and the legendary WM1's!!!! 😍

Feb 18, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #600 of 15,604
In Singapore, Connect-It is claiming you will get a memorabilia from the chief engineer Sato-san if you preorder.

If I were you, I want that memorabilia for owning what will almost certainly be a memorable piece of audiophile history.
Now I do want that! Can I consider that a very expensive thank you fan mail to Sato-san and get a streaming brick as a bonus at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back