SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Feb 11, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #212 of 15,839
So he ranked WM1Z better than WM1ZM2. Is this based on objective remarks (practicality, pricing…etc) or is it based on subjective performances
at the mercy of YT translation on the fly.....

but from the review.....there may be burn-in to yet factor in, the ZM2 does seem to have changed the 'depth' presentation, but the reviewer seemed to prefer the tone of the Z1. There was no way Sony could, for the company's own history, not have a flagship that could use streaming. So I think there was a rather (belatedly) forced update.

I'm sure there's on the page improvements to the hardware - though I remember at the time of the 1z launch that it was very much a passion project where they threw everything however outlandish at making something spectacular pegged to the WM anniversary. Like milling the thing out of a copper block.

As I've mentioned here, all hearing deteriorates over time so whether the person that can afford this kind of player will actually have the ability to perceive the improvements is up for debate.

I was struck in the M2s launch videos on how 'incremental' and 'cumulative' were the improvements.

The most important thing in digital file music is the source file sound quality (the original mastering) and the dac/clock. The higher resolutions allows for greater time for the roll off digital filters to counter gitter/aliasing. If the the DAPs 'clock heart' is good, this creates the magic of non-fatiguing listening. Then sprinkle on the software to tune frequencies.

Of course, the other thing now is that they are not making WM1s anymore. It's M2s or used M1s going forward.

Streaming (paying and paying and paying ad infinitum) is not a Yellow Brick Road I want to skip down.

I use HR, DSD and 44.1 on a 1TB. I stream on LG Quad Dac V phone to listen to new music, to see if I would like to support the artist and own the recording, before it's taken off the platform by the artist or a corporate lawyer for whatever reason....

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #216 of 15,839
No way modding Android....
That depends on the implementation, many of the Cinese daps have been rooted and modded but it does not look like a possibillity on the Sony implementation

Feb 11, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #217 of 15,839
Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #218 of 15,839
Feb 11, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #219 of 15,839
Does Sony intend to keep manufacturing the 1Z? Looks like they had the 1Z and the 1ZM2 side by side in the Tokyo Sony store. Not sure if the guy who did the review in Japanese had brought in his own 1Z to compare.

Feb 11, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #220 of 15,839
you think theyll ruin the volume again?
Yep, they’ll have to in EU and UK (until UK perhaps gets rid of that EU rule)

Feb 11, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #221 of 15,839
Yep, they’ll have to in EU and UK (until UK perhaps gets rid of that EU rule)
Thats so odd, how is it that chord can release DACs with enough power to blow your brain out like mojo? Or AK can release a KANN, which can do the same? i dont see how sony are subject to different laws to them, yet they completly gimp their own devices

Feb 11, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #222 of 15,839
Thats so odd, how is it that chord can release DACs with enough power to blow your brain out like mojo? Or AK can release a KANN, which can do the same? i dont see how sony are subject to different laws to them, yet they completly gimp their own devices
They are not, they just choose to play by the laws where many of the others don’t. The same law is for all but it’s the individual companys choice if they stick to them.

Mojo might not be classed as a portable music player in it’s own right under this law.

Also if a company don’t sell their product via resellers in EU but EU citizens buy them from dealers outside EU the products don’t have to comply so you are free to buy a Sony dap from outside EU and then it wont be limited.

That’s how EU has decided it to be and us who live in EU then have to live with it or find ways around it

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #224 of 15,839
They are not, they just choose to play by the laws where many of the others don’t. The same law is for all but it’s the individual companys choice if they stick to them.

Mojo might not be classed as a portable music player in it’s own right.

Also if a company don’t sell their product via resellers in EU but EU citizens buy them from dealers outside EU the products don’t have to comply so you are free to buy a Sony dap from outside EU and then it wont be limited.

That’s how EU has decided it to be and us who live in EU then have to live with it or find ways around it
Maybe Sony should just ditch the rules then. I bought my AK DAP from Richersounds and it was wayyy louder than the zx507. The zx507 was as good as a paperweight to be honest with that output

Feb 11, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #225 of 15,839
Maybe Sony should just ditch the rules then. I bought my AK DAP from Richersounds and it was wayyy louder than the zx507. The zx507 was as good as a paperweight to be honest with that output
yep its really bad the EU has gimped the sound on sony players not worth buying ..hong kong or japan only

Users who are viewing this thread

Back