SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 27, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #1,441 of 15,603
HI all, just a quick question for those that know. I ordered a w1mzm2 from Japan that I'm currently waiting for. I also have a preorder from audio46. Of course, the one from audio 46 will be a us version while the one from Japan is obviously a Japanese model. Does the benefit of having the original Japanese model and its supposed sonic differences outweigh its lack of warranty? I ask because I'm trying to decide which one to keep. I will be getting the Japanese in hand in a few days, while I'll have to wait a few weeks to get the US version. I paid 3750 plus tax for the Japanese model, while I'm paying 4199 plus tax for the US Version. some advice would be truly truly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Absolutely, I ordered it on eBay. I think the guy has more. So if you're interested, I can give you his eBay info (I can also let him know to expect your message). Would be happy to help. EBay is great. They have a lot of buyer protections.

Mar 27, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #1,442 of 15,603
Maybe Sony felt that the forced upsampling to 32bit 192KHz has not noticeably affected the sound quality on the streaming apps. Or maybe the forced resampling actually improved the sound from the apps?

Haven’t seen any ZX507 or A105 android Walkman users complaining about this forced upsampling affecting their music sound quality on the streaming apps as well.
Oh, I didn't realize it upsamples everything to 192. That's better at least than resampling everything to 48 like Android normally does.

Mar 27, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #1,443 of 15,603
I don’t have an answer but would you mind sharing how you ordered the 1ZM2 from Japan to the US?
Absolutely, I ordered it on eBay. I think the guy has more. So if you're interested, I can give you his eBay info (I can also let him know to expect your message). Would be happy to help. EBay is great. They have a lot of buyer protections.

Mar 27, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #1,444 of 15,603
I paid $3750 plus tax, free shipping, returns accepted for 30 days.

Mar 27, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #1,445 of 15,603
Oh, I didn't realize it upsamples everything to 192. That's better at least than resampling everything to 48 like Android normally does.
This is the ZX507 android audio path provided by Sony:

11305533.jpg

Recently they released a new diagram for the WM1M2 series with a lot of super-imposed annotations (I suppose it’s to mis-direct)but it still shows it’s selectable only between this two 48Khz or 192KHz for the android/streaming app path:

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #1,446 of 15,603
sorry, i know its a useless post but mines is at L.A.X.! Hope I can get it soon in my hands! (sorry, was just too excited)
look forward to hearing your impressions! :)

Mar 27, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #1,448 of 15,603
look forward to hearing your impressions! :)

I might not be the best person as I dont know any lingo (I don't even understand the chart above you) but I guess I can give my impressions of it from a very normal person point of view and compare it with NW-WM1A (M1) using IER-Z1R. I have other phones like the Fostex 900H and stuff but I am going to move in the coming months so have packed up a lot of things which will be going on a ship for the move My music is probably on the minority side but these are usually the tracks I use to test the waters with DAP / Phones I come across with

I personally test it with
Nier : Snow in Summer (Orchestra version)
Genshi Yonezu : Umi No Yurei
Namie Amuro : Can you Celebrate
30 Seconds to Mars : The Kill
DJ Okawari : Your Love
Random Daft Punk
Fire Bomber : Holy Lonely Night
Tarou Hakase : Jyonetsu Tairiku

Mar 28, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #1,449 of 15,603
I might not be the best person as I dont know any lingo (I don't even understand the chart above you) but I guess I can give my impressions of it from a very normal person point of view and compare it with NW-WM1A (M1) using IER-Z1R. I have other phones like the Fostex 900H and stuff but I am going to move in the coming months so have packed up a lot of things which will be going on a ship for the move My music is probably on the minority side but these are usually the tracks I use to test the waters with DAP / Phones I come across with

I personally test it with
Nier : Snow in Summer (Orchestra version)
Genshi Yonezu : Umi No Yurei
Namie Amuro : Can you Celebrate
30 Seconds to Mars : The Kill
DJ Okawari : Your Love
Random Daft Punk
Fire Bomber : Holy Lonely Night
Tarou Hakase : Jyonetsu Tairiku
You don't need to be an expert, sometimes the most honest truth comes from those who aren't so involved in the hobby.

Mar 28, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #1,450 of 15,603
I find the WM1ZM2 diffuses the sounds of cymbals slightly, making them sound softer thus less exciting to listen to as compared to listening on the WM1AM2 which the cymbals have more bite. This is more evident when you play Live Rock Concert music where the WM1ZM2 felt less energetic than the WM1AM2 which keeps it exciting to listen to.

On the other hand, if you play jazz music, the WM1ZM2 keeps the music main focus on the singer's voice, making the sound instruments feel more background and less distracting, like a bokeh effect in photography. The WM1AM2 on the other hand, will make the sound instruments take up more of your attention.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #1,452 of 15,603
I am more interested if there is any difference between Japan and overseas unit.
I doubt there is any difference between any except the dreaded EU volume cap on units sold in EU

Mar 28, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #1,453 of 15,603
Just for info, you can get bit perfect playback for Neutron Player with Sony android Walkman like the WM1ZM2 and WM1AM2. This is the three settings you need to apply:

Settings > Profile > Bit Perfect (toggle this on)

Settings > Audio Hardware > Generic Driver > Custom Format (toggle this on ) > mode > format > 32-bit Int (toggle this on)

Settings > Audio Hardware > Generic Driver > Custom Format (toggle this on ) > mode > offload (toggle this on)

If you have done the above correctly. While playing back a 44.1khz music file. Go to settings > audio hardware

Frequency will show as 44100

If it’s not done correctly, it will show up as 192000.

from what I am hearing on my zx507, the Neutron Player sounds more transparent(as in less processed sounding) than the Sony Walkman Music app. It has a softer, more calmer sound as compared to the sharper, crispier sounding USB Audio Player Pro.

Is it worthwhile buying neutron? It’s really up to you if you want to experiment with a different sounding player.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #1,454 of 15,603
Just for info, you can get bit perfect playback for Neutron Player with Sony android Walkman like the WM1ZM2 and WM1AM2. This is the two settings you need to apply:

Settings > Profile > Bit Perfect (toggle this)

Settings > Audio Hardware > Generic Driver > Custom Format (toggle this) > mode > offload (toggle this)

If you have done the above correctly. While playing back a 44.1khz music file. Go to settings > audio hardware

Frequency will show as 44100

If it’s not done correctly, it will show up as 192000.

Just to be clear, settings in the APP (Neutron) or Walkman? and by "Toggle This" I assume you mean ON / Enabled, but can you make it clear...Toggle ON or OFF?

Mar 28, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #1,455 of 15,603
Just to be clear, settings in the APP (Neutron) or Walkman? and by "Toggle This" I assume you mean ON / Enabled, but can you make it clear...Toggle ON or OFF?
Yes I mean to switch it ON. There’s like a red button that lights up when it’s toggle on.

I have edited my post to include an additional step of using 32bit Int

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back