SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 3, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #14,387 of 15,987
Dune Sketchbook
Downloaded locally from Qobuz> on Swissbit ( on max res , max quality sound possible , an 'absolute' combination ) giving it a spin

Big fan of both recent IMAX movies and quite a science fiction consumer on tv , I tried to go over F. Herbert Dune 1 when younger but didn't , might be time to try again.

Mar 3, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #14,388 of 15,987
Downloaded locally from Qobuz> on Swissbit ( on max res , max quality sound possible , an 'absolute' combination ) giving it a spin

Big fan of both recent IMAX movies and quite a science fiction consumer on tv , I tried to go over F. Herbert Dune 1 when younger but didn't , might be time to try again.
Awesome! Definitely trying this too

Mar 3, 2024 at 8:48 AM Post #14,389 of 15,987

Highly recommended! He has a unique writing style where you have to write half the story in your head, connect the dots as you see fit. Making it harder to translate to screen. Too political for some (especially books 4 - 6). Would love the movies to continue through Children Of Dune :)

Hans Zimmer has made some truly alien yet human music centered on lots of vocals. Has grown on me immensely in the last 2 years ❤️

Hans wrote Sketchbook based on the books before collaborating with Denis. He claims to have invented some instruments, including using a house made of metal (ofc copper?) to make some unique sounds.

And Lisa Girard is in the mix! (of Dead Can Dance/Gladiator)

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #14,390 of 15,987
Big fan of Zimmer OST too, even though I admit I shift usually fast to classic pieces when I 'stumble' on the most known Zimmer pieces - as for his frequent reference to classical orchestra atmospheres , I go in search for the original source at times and then get lost in some new music or performers , usual habit here on 1am2 and Qobuz

@andrewski I am still in the long experimenting and adaptation frame, fw 1.08 changed 'a bit'👀 my 1am2 setups , as it changed quite a lot as for xe6 results , being the xe6 already a maxed analogue tone iem, there's a lot more , and little less too, coming from 1.07 , i changed completely my dsp/eq settings

Mar 3, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #14,392 of 15,987
Big fan of Zimmer OST too, even though I admit I shift usually fast to classic pieces when I 'stumble' on the most known Zimmer pieces - as for his frequent reference to classical orchestra atmospheres , I go in search for the original source at times and then get lost in some new music or performers , usual habit here on 1am2 and Qobuz

@andrewski I am still in the long experimenting and adaptation frame, fw 1.08 changed 'a bit'👀 my 1am2 setups , as it changed quite a lot as for xe6 results , being the xe6 already a maxed analogue tone iem, there's a lot more , and little less too, coming from 1.07 , i changed completely my dsp/eq settings
I'm looking forward to eventually getting Qobuz and expanding my horizons :)

I was fortunate that I found such peace of mind by switching from slow roll-off to sharp after the update. Was worried I was going to have to sell it for a couple of days 😂

Mar 3, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #14,393 of 15,987
I can hear you, I was saltuary user of Class A /A Low , now switched to /B High ( that is my previous-least fav. of all) always on ( to get back some highs extension feel..or euphony/resonance. .. if it's ever been called such a thing 👀) also my usual eq set got a wild facelift too

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #14,394 of 15,987
Fw 1.08 has been quite wild sound signature update 🤪very unexpected too from Sony eng..
last update was good but still in line with previous ..
Anyhow mostly welcome, subbass finally kinda performs too on 1am2, and timber has kind of improved too

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #14,395 of 15,987
Fw 1.08 has been quite wild sound signature update 🤪very unexpected too from Sony eng..
last update was good but still in line with previous ..
Anyhow mostly welcome, subbass finally kinda perform too on 1am2, timber has kind of improved too
FW1.08 does drain a lot more battery though, on my debloated WM1AM2, DSEE Ultimate DSP now almost matches the faster battery drain of DSD Remastering DSP. It’s around 10hours from 88% to 5% with high res streaming on and balanced connection.

Mar 3, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #14,396 of 15,987
I'm looking forward to eventually getting Qobuz and expanding my horizons :)

I was fortunate that I found such peace of mind by switching from slow roll-off to sharp after the update. Was worried I was going to have to sell it for a couple of days 😂
I prefer the sound of slow roll off for ier-m9+wm1am2 this time round for fw1.08 as I feel the treble is not as bright and would be better for long term lower listening fatigue. On previous 1.07, I prefer sharp roll off for a brighter sound and faster transients(which fw1.08 already improved).

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #14,397 of 15,987
It’s also amazing how close the Sony sounds spatially compared to the live experience of the Taylor Swift concert. Was at the Taylor Swift concert today(just tailgating outside the stadium, can’t get ticket). Must say that real life sound of the group singing from the Taylor Swift fans outside of the stadium really matches(spatially) to what I would hear regularly on the Sony Walkman with music that is recorded from live events that has background singing from the audiences. The feeling of sound that is coming from all directions around you.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #14,400 of 15,987
Would suggest to try out. Personally for myself, I find FLAC to sound just a bit more congested, with higher compression settings sounding much worse. I would use the AIFF format as container for the PCM, as it allows for album art and metadata. To me the sound quality gain is worth the extra space required for uncompressed music.
Anything that goes into an 'extenal' eq is upsampled and/ or converted to PCM ( depending on android software and android player ) , result output is PCM 384 on Shanling m9+ /+SpotEQ31 ( best III party audiophile Eq sound processing app I found so far ) , I dont find bitperfect any better for low res files ( i.e. flac 44.1khz) so..

Sound quality is very high

I have still to understand what happens on 1am2 with an external player/eq

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back