SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Sep 29, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #12,826 of 15,797
Me too, as I've yet to hear a negative experience. But if he has a positive experience, he may not want to get in the line of fire by sharing that here. Convincing someone doesn't make it sound better, but we want others to be happy. ZM2 is my Unicorn. Swissbit adds rainbows.

Fact :)

Like us, he decided to take the jump into the (microsd) rabbit hole, so let's hope he manages to find his musical wonderland and happiness.

As for me, I am now (yet again) re-exploring all of my older 1970-2000s 16bit 44.1KHz PCM music collection with the new sound of the fw1.07 DSEE Ultimate. It's like gazing at stars in the night sky, so much new music elements/positions/reverb to absorb.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #12,827 of 15,797
Like us, he decided to take the jump into the (microsd) rabbit hole, so let's hope he manages to find his musical wonderland and happiness.

As for me, I am now (yet again) re-exploring all of my older 1970-2000s 16bit 44.1KHz PCM music collection with the new sound of the fw1.07 DSEE Ultimate. It's like gazing at stars in the night sky, so much new music elements/positions/reverb to absorb.
What is your headphone/iem of choice ?

Sep 29, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #12,828 of 15,797
What is your headphone/iem of choice ?
The Sony IER-M9 as it offers excellent imaging and big spatial rendering along with very non-fatiguing sound signature that works well across the wide genre of music I listen to.

Sep 29, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #12,829 of 15,797
I've seen no trolls around here, unless you consider people with a different opinion trolls?

There is a lot of Sony fanboiisum in this thread too while we are on the subject, I own one of these players but have a way more balanced view of things.

I wish people would stick to writing facts and not bashing each other like me and you. :wink:
Different opinions are normal, and that is the basis for discussions.
My opinion of a troll is:
- has a set opinions, and belittles and attacks others who differ. Very much like going to war over religion.
- has a closed mind, and is not able or willing to question their beliefs, or accept others. Which is fine, but there is no need to insist that everybody else is not hearing what they say they are hearing, and making up their observations. Just live and let live.
- Cannot consider that there may be something that is outside their understanding, or that there are other experiences that may be as relevant, or even more relevant?

Discussions and disagreements are normal, and welcome. Attacks on other's beliefs and integrity, to me, is very "troll" like. Or maybe that is just a personal trait common to people other than trolls? Don't know, and both types are difficult to have discussions with.

And "fanboyism" is something we are all guilty of, otherwise we would not be on this forum. It is neither a negative or positive trait. It is just a symptom of enthusiasm. Maybe to extremes sometimes, but hey, that's why we call them fanboys.

And it's funny, that both sides of this discussion could, and would, say exactly the same thing about each other. Who is right, nobody knows.

When more than one audiophile shows up at the Pearly Gates, they will get into a slugfest for sure. And argue for the rest of eternity. Tempting St Peter to kick them down below, to the alternate domain.

Just the nature of things......

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #12,830 of 15,797
Just discovered something interesting, this was Mr. Takashi Kanai blog before he passed away:

http://kanaimaru.com/

He's the designer for many of the famed Sony products including:
Sony CDP-R1
The original S-Master Pro amplifier
Vinyl Processor inside our Walkman

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/mad-scientist-sony-audio

Takashi Kanai is the chief engineer of Sony's audio division. He is responsible for ensuring that Sony Hi-Fi products provide the excellent sound that fans of the brand are used to. If we want to understand why Sony's products sound so good, we need to get to know Takashi.

Among other things, Takashi developed the Sony S-Master Pro digital amplifier. Before 2002, digital amps couldn't really approach the quality of analog amps because digital components generated too much noise. Since no one had yet been able to break through this industry barrier, Takashi set out to solve the problem on his own, but eliminating the noise seemed like an impossible task. He worked on it day and night, he could hardly sleep. One day, exhausted from fatigue, he collapsed in his workshop, so an ambulance had to be called. After being released from the hospital, of course, he didn't go to rest: he returned to the workshop, and Sony was finally able to launch its first truly competitive-sounding digital amplifier on the market, for which it won a gold award from the Japanese HiVi magazine.

Takashi came to Sony the year the first Walkman was launched and worked with the senior engineers who were still working with vacuum tubes when Sony started. Takashi was shocked to discover that all the hi-fi developments at Sony, a global giant, were due to the hard work of just a few senior colleagues. At the time, the small but affordable cassette player was just as challenging as the digital amplifier a few decades later. Masaru Ibuka, the co-founder of Sony, personally coordinated the development, and Takashi was able to learn from the engineers who laid the foundation for Sony's success. Today, others are learning from him.
http://gizmologia.hu/cikk/2842/a_sony_hang_titka

You can check out his music recommendations here:
http://kanaimaru.com/amazon/0fosusume7.htm

Just check out his guide to making japanese soba, the amount of detail and attention he dedicates to this is just beyond incredible:
http://kanaimaru.com/soba/sobam.htm

Updated 040103
First draft 011221​

Let's hit it.

The process of turning buckwheat flour into noodles involves four steps: adding water, kikuneri, pasting, and cutting.

1) Distributed water addition and concentrated water addition

For many beginners, the first difficulty is adding water. In this web page, we will consider water addition to consist of two major stages. This will greatly reduce failures.

The first step is adding water to disperse the water until the buckwheat flour resembles breadcrumbs. This is called "dispersed hydration."

The second step is to add more water and collect the buckwheat flour. This is called ``kukuri-kasui''.

• If we divide the addition of water into the processes of dispersion and binding, it is possible to make almost all types of buckwheat flour using just water. To date, I have succeeded in making raw buckwheat flour using water kneading, such as ultra-coarsely ground flour with a 20-mesh level, and impregnable buckwheat flour, which is generally said to be impossible to combine with water alone. However, the concept and steps are the same. Please use this as a reference.

2) Preparation of water

The method on this website is to add water four times to make buckwheat flour into balls. The total amount of water added is 100%, and the first time is 80%. This is dispersed hydration.
From the second time onwards, add 10%--7%-->3%. This is kukuri-kasui. In other words, Kukuri-addition is basically a three-stage addition of water. In particular, the last 3% is added while checking the condition of the buckwheat flour, so it is sometimes called adjusted water addition.

If the mixture does not come together even after using all the water you have prepared, you may add an additional 1 to 2% water. Think of this as adjusting water addition.

So, for beginners, I think it's a good idea to divide the water into four containers (cups, bowls, etc.) before you start adding water. For example, if you want to add a total of 106 grams of water, first weigh out 106 grams, then divide it into three cups as 11 grams (10%), 8 grams (7%), and 3 grams (3%), and leave the rest. is 80%.

• The standard hydration rate for Takayama-milled white birch flour is 53%, so 100 grams of buckwheat flour equals 106 grams of water.For summer 2010 Shirakaba, the water content on the Takayama Seifun website is 51%, so consider 102 grams of water as the standard.

Also, prepare another cup and prepare about 3 grams in case you don't add enough water.

(If you don't know the water addition rate, see below )

3) Water addition

Now, let's try it. Start adding water.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #12,831 of 15,797
He even describes in detail, what is the weakness of analog amp as compared to digital amp:

Human voices, especially a cappella (unaccompanied) choruses, are the natural enemy of analogue amplifiers. Analogue amplifiers constantly fluctuate the phase of the high frequency range from moment to moment due to the heat generated by the output current. When this occurs in the audible bandwidth, the left and right phases are slightly out of phase and the chorus sound can easily become muddy.

In this respect, the digital amplifier S-Master PRO generates almost no heat due to output current, and even if it did, phase rotation would not occur.

John Mari was the first person in Europe to be impressed by the sound of the TA-DA9000ES, and the reason was that the chorus flowed from a consumer AV amplifier with a pre-paid price of only a few thousand pounds as easily as from a large amplifier he uses in the studio.

So if you have a TA-DA9000ES, 7000ES or 9100ES digital amplifier, you will hear an impressive chorus on this SACD.

If you are using an analogue amplifier, this is a recording that will showcase its capabilities well. Even with an analogue amplifier, the TA-DA3200ES has countermeasures against phase rotation in the high frequencies, so you will hardly feel any turbidity. If you feel it, then you should review your loudspeakers or player.

Analogue amplifiers other than the TA-DA3200ES will sound as good as they are capable of, although the STR-DB790 (the model just before the digital amp) and TAN9000ES (power amp) are good among the amplifiers I have worked on, and other models I don't think they will break the bank.

SB070309-1.
---For demonstration, speaker set-up, classical, SACD---.
---070309 description ----.

Rachmaninov: Vespers
[Hybrid SACD].
From PentaTone.

It is a truly beautiful a cappella chorus SACD.

It was May 2003 when John Mari, a balance engineer at the Dutch recording company Polyhymnia, gave us a demonstration of the TA-DA9000ES at the German High End Show, where it was unveiled in Europe. Kanaimaru, who was following along as a talisman for the yet-to-be-completed set, has written several times in Kanaimaru about how he met Mari there and hit it off with her.

One of the software pieces John Mari used in this high-end show demo was Mari Kodama's Piano Sonata, introduced in SB070118-2. And the other is this Rachmaninov's Vesper, the SACD was released on 27 May 2003, so you demonstrated with the on-neu software before it was released yet.

I heard that Rachmaninov's Vespers is so famous that most of the famous choirs have taken it up, so I searched for it and found many recordings. However, this is in English-speaking countries. It is church music, after all, so Japanese people are not familiar with it. In Japan, only the audio-famous 'Cantate Domino' comes to mind.

However, even in English-speaking countries, it does not seem to be used much for demonstrations. The reason is that it is difficult to play.

------
Human voices, especially a cappella (unaccompanied) choruses, are the natural enemy of analogue amplifiers. Analogue amplifiers constantly fluctuate the phase of the high frequency range from moment to moment due to the heat generated by the output current. When this occurs in the audible bandwidth, the left and right phases are slightly out of phase and the chorus sound can easily become muddy.

In this respect, the digital amplifier S-Master PRO generates almost no heat due to output current, and even if it did, phase rotation would not occur.

John Mari was the first person in Europe to be impressed by the sound of the TA-DA9000ES, and the reason was that the chorus flowed from a consumer AV amplifier with a pre-paid price of only a few thousand pounds as easily as from a large amplifier he uses in the studio.

So if you have a TA-DA9000ES, 7000ES or 9100ES digital amplifier, you will hear an impressive chorus on this SACD.

If you are using an analogue amplifier, this is a recording that will showcase its capabilities well. Even with an analogue amplifier, the TA-DA3200ES has countermeasures against phase rotation in the high frequencies, so you will hardly feel any turbidity. If you feel it, then you should review your loudspeakers or player.

Analogue amplifiers other than the TA-DA3200ES will sound as good as they are capable of, although the STR-DB790 (the model just before the digital amp) and TAN9000ES (power amp) are good among the amplifiers I have worked on, and other models I don't think they will break the bank.

The highlight of this SACD is TNO-6 Bogoroditse Devo. The first part, which begins very quietly, is almost 30 dB below peak volume, and the low church noise gives a sense of the atmosphere of the scene.

From the quiet start of the chorus, you can immediately imagine the staircase-like chicks with the choir. Each part is at a different height, and people spread out to the left and right again, but the focus is on each of them to make them point to each other. Or rather, that's how it's recorded, so you have to focus.

Later in the track, the chorus builds and builds, blasting up to maximum volume. It is important that the sound does not hit the ceiling at this point. Digital amplifiers blow up with no problem, and the TA-DA3200ES is OK. It is also important that the phase does not fluctuate depending on the power being handled, so if the amp is not muddy, the sound will blow up and out smoothly.

The Dutch church where the recording was made is a circular-domed building with a chimney-like structure in the centre. When Mr Erdo came to the listening room, he said, "You can see that", but I don't know exactly what he meant because I don't know the site. But it seems like the reverberation tone is different only just above my head. It's a difficult task that I can understand in the office, but not with Kanamaru's home system, but it's a good task to know what the system is capable of.

The recording is credited to two names, John Mari and Eldo, which is very unusual for a balanced engineer. I guess that means that the chorus is difficult to playback, but also difficult to record.
http://kanaimaru.com/amazon/osusume1.htm

Sep 29, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #12,832 of 15,797
Different opinions are normal, and that is the basis for discussions.
My opinion of a troll is:
- has a set opinions, and belittles and attacks others who differ. Very much like going to war over religion.
- has a closed mind, and is not able or willing to question their beliefs, or accept others. Which is fine, but there is no need to insist that everybody else is not hearing what they say they are hearing, and making up their observations. Just live and let live.
- Cannot consider that there may be something that is outside their understanding, or that there are other experiences that may be as relevant, or even more relevant?

Discussions and disagreements are normal, and welcome. Attacks on other's beliefs and integrity, to me, is very "troll" like. Or maybe that is just a personal trait common to people other than trolls? Don't know, and both types are difficult to have discussions with.

And "fanboyism" is something we are all guilty of, otherwise we would not be on this forum. It is neither a negative or positive trait. It is just a symptom of enthusiasm. Maybe to extremes sometimes, buy hey, that's why we call them fanboys.

And it's funny, that both sides of this discussion could, and would, say exactly the same thing about each other. Who is right, nobody knows.

When more than one audiophile shows up at the Pearly Gates, they will get into a slugfest for sure. And argue for the rest of eternity. Tempting St Peter to kick them down below, to the alternate domain.

Just the nature of things......
Well said. I needed to hear that. I have a
habit of saying "Sorry everybody" which should tell me something. But again ... Sorry everybody. I'll remember what Thumper's father told him from now on. "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

I've really enjoyed this Thread. Thank you everybody for that :)

Sep 29, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #12,833 of 15,797
IMO, if you’re not willing to discuss your preferences then don’t try to sell them as the absolute truth, or just don’t bring them up at all.
We’re all here to get the most out of our gear and to talk about how awesome it all is, so in the end we all share that at least. We just go about it different ways.

Also a quick update on my journey with the 1AM2: I’m about 1/3 down my music collection and the sound is awesome!

Is it better than the 1A? Yes.
A lot? Maybe not.

I think the sound is a little warmer than the 1A but not so much as to lose details or sound bloated in any way.

And using it without a case so it does not feel too bulky.

Sep 29, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #12,834 of 15,797
This 1.07 DSEE spatial enhancement effect affects even 24bit 96KHz FLACs. I think only DSD Files are not processed.

Also the below settings also has a part in the strength of this spatial enhacement:
Hi-Res Streaming ON
Sony Headphone App updated and enabled
Sony 360RA certified Headphone/IEM profile added into Sony Headphone App (if you own sony headphones/iem) and Ear photo profile uploaded.

It must be said that not everyone enjoys such sound processing as it can sound artificial or not true to source. But there are ways around it as I will describe them below:

Some people have disabled their Sony headphone app on top of using direct source ON. As they prefer the sound without the headphone app. From what was discovered is that the Sony Headphone App does affect the sound as well. This step is easily reversible.

Also I read in another forum, there are people who will even go ADB uninstall the sound adjustment app as they have found that that app also does some sound processing. I have not done this step thus I don't know what effect it has.
I need to try this. I've turned off all this features after reading early on that it alters the sound.

Also on somewhat unrelated topic, the other day I accidentally transfered an album without disabling file conversion on my old Media Go. As a result, it transferred the file as a mp3.
While I was listening to it, I remember thinking how much better it sounded compared to the previous time I listen to it via the walkman. I had to look to see what was changed as previously none of the Sony DSEE setting made such a change. To my surprise the file was in mp3 format, 256 kbps, and DSEE was on.
I think DSEE on the walkman is fully matured for lossy file. I know it can handle lossless file, but I believe there is a less of DSP reconstruction taking placce in lossless format.

Sep 29, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #12,837 of 15,797
You will need @purk to give some more in-depth details per this request. He have had new Walkman modded
More transparent with better clarity compared to stock WM1ZM2. Amazing soundstage depth and width. Spatial cues and instrument placements are superb and even rival that’s of Ibasso DX320 Max. Tested this with full-size HD800 SDR modded by the way.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #12,839 of 15,797
Sep 30, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #12,840 of 15,797
He even describes in detail, what is the weakness of analog amp as compared to digital amp:

http://kanaimaru.com/amazon/osusume1.htm
I have the TA-DA9000ES and sadly it made firework about 7 years ago. Playing multichannel SACD via iLink from my SCD-XA9000ES to the DA9000ES was an amazing experience. I wish Sony continue to service their top of the line products or keep parts in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back