SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Sep 21, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #12,646 of 15,990
As far as I understand, this kind of info is stored in a partition named FRP (Factory Reset Protection). By achieving root, or by managing to unlock the bootloader and build your own recovery from source, you could be able to reset that partition, but otherwise you can't remove this protection.

Maybe it's a third hand device, and this could be why the seller sold it.
Oh…it is a very bad news to me:scream:

Sep 21, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #12,647 of 15,990
Oh…it is a very bad news to me:scream:
Official Sony repair centre can open it for you for a fee but you have to provide them proof of purchase… which can be tricky to obtain from private seller….

For this reason I always require original proof of purchase with modern electronics when buying second hand. Luckily quite many people save the receipts as it is easier to sell with box & papers…

Sep 21, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #12,648 of 15,990
Remember folks...the last WM1Z thread was 'terminated' due to infighting over tiny sound turf wars.

I now have a mint second hand WM1ZM2 from Japan. In terms of just ease of use it is light years ahead of my beloved WM1Z. But you know what? Sony are still using screen technology using Pulse Width Modulation to control screen brightness - which causes severe headaches for those sensitive to it. Like myself. Even @MrWalkman tired to look under the Wm1z firmware hood for me. No luck.

The PWM issue is now plaguing nearly all smartphones with some people unable to upgrade phones for years. Like me.

Now here's the rub. I contacted A&K to find out the refresh rate of their screen for their flagship 3000. I do not own one. They got back to me quickly. Its as suspected - very low - PWM is a power saving mechanism. Now Walkmans Mr S. follows me on Twitter. I work in radio production. I've mentioned the issue with the WM1Z in the past. So I asked him about PWM and the new M2s. He unfollowed me.

So a lot of time is spent on this thread praising Sony and these extraordinarily expensive players - and arguing over microscopic sound advantages, but when it comes to real user issue....the silence from Japan in my case has been deafening.

My second hand gamble was a wise one.
I’m not sensitive to PWM so I don’t know but, could you get around that if you always use 100% brightness?

Sep 21, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #12,649 of 15,990
Give it a try ? I encountered a very rare instant where the Walkman wouldn’t wake up, but does have LED charger indicator when plugged in, however, it wouldn’t draw current to charge aka 0.1mW being consumed.

It was practically deader than Dead. Even leaving it plugged in over 24 hours didn’t do anything. Even so, it could still be resurrected
Sorry, I don’t understand what you mean

Sep 21, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #12,653 of 15,990
I guess you are seeking a long term relaxed music listening.

As for me, I listen to a lot of live music performances, so softer sound stage details will be important. Can't dial back on the volume.
Sounds very reasonable.

Sep 21, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #12,654 of 15,990
I’m not sensitive to PWM so I don’t know but, could you get around that if you always use 100% brightness?
Thanks for the understanding. That used to often be the case. But 100% does not switch of PWM on the WM screens. And does not for most flagship phones anymore. That's why many cant upgrade. I'm now in the situation that my LGV30. - no headaches at all - is soon no longer going to work with banking apps etc. Cos it's Android version is too old.

Sep 21, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #12,658 of 15,990
Do we know what changed with FW 1.07?
Soundstage seems wider

https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics...yers-nw-wm-series/nw-wm1am2/software/00277354

About this download​

Benefits and Improvements​

• Provides a Security update (The security level displayed in the Settings menu will be as of August 2023)

Well, I guess there will be fixed minded individuals who will vehemently point out that this 1.07 is just a simple security update as described in the firmware description.

But I myself felt that there is definitely a major change in sound in 1.07. My usual listening volume for 1.06 was 75 low gain, now it has been bumped up to 90 low gain for 1.07.

Also if you are using a modern Sony IEM or Headphone, please do personalize your HRTF ear profile using the included Sony Headphone App, as in my experience, it also does affects the spatial sound of regular stereo music files played on the walkman music app.

https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/support/articles/00229041#ra-headphone

Sep 21, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #12,660 of 15,990

Users who are viewing this thread

Back