SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Sep 20, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #12,631 of 15,990
Remember folks...the last WM1Z thread was 'terminated' due to infighting over tiny sound turf wars.

I now have a mint second hand WM1ZM2 from Japan. In terms of just ease of use it is light years ahead of my beloved WM1Z. But you know what? Sony are still using screen technology using Pulse Width Modulation to control screen brightness - which causes severe headaches for those sensitive to it. Like myself. Even @MrWalkman tired to look under the Wm1z firmware hood for me. No luck.

The PWM issue is now plaguing nearly all smartphones with some people unable to upgrade phones for years. Like me.

Now here's the rub. I contacted A&K to find out the refresh rate of their screen for their flagship 3000. I do not own one. They got back to me quickly. Its as suspected - very low - PWM is a power saving mechanism. Now Walkmans Mr S. follows me on Twitter. I work in radio production. I've mentioned the issue with the WM1Z in the past. So I asked him about PWM and the new M2s. He unfollowed me.

So a lot of time is spent on this thread praising Sony and these extraordinarily expensive players - and arguing over microscopic sound advantages, but when it comes to real user issue....the silence from Japan in my case has been deafening.

My second hand gamble was a wise one.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #12,633 of 15,990
@andrewski

I don't think 38 volume @ low gain has sufficient loudness to reveal all the soft sound details in the soundstage.

For this new 1.07 firmware, on my IER-M9 balanced, I require 90 volume @ low gain to achieve what I deem to be hearing the full sound details of the music, but still safe enough loudness.

Sep 21, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #12,635 of 15,990
Fine I'll try the hybrids again. Bingo! Everything is comfortable. My brain says comfort sounds really good.
Hybrids, or the Azla SednaEarfit Crystal, Standard. The last bit of soreness with the Hybrids were gone with the Crystal.

Sep 21, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #12,637 of 15,990
@andrewski

I don't think 38 volume @ low gain has sufficient loudness to reveal all the soft sound details in the soundstage.

For this new 1.07 firmware, on my IER-M9 balanced, I require 90 volume @ low gain to achieve what I deem to be hearing the full sound details of the music, but still safe enough loudness.
My compass for the last decade has been what I consider ear-squint and fatigue. It has made me a lot more picky (anal?). Every so often I need to remind myself to lighten up and just enjoy. It's more fun that way. I like music all weekend. If it's too loud it becomes irritating after just a couple of hours. I never get tired and it never sounds bad at 38. I hate how it sounds at 90 for any duration, but that's just me :)

Edit: I started at 60, and through burn in, updates, and preference found my way down to 38 :)

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #12,638 of 15,990
My compass for the last decade has been what I consider ear-squint and fatigue. It has made me a lot more picky (anal?). Every so often I need to remind myself to lighten up and just enjoy. It's more fun that way. I like music all weekend. If it's too loud it becomes irritating after just a couple of hours. I never get tired and it never sounds bad at 38. I hate how it sounds at 90 for any duration, but that's just me :)

Edit: I started at 60, and through burn in, updates, and preference found my way down to 38 :)
I guess you are seeking a long term relaxed music listening.

As for me, I listen to a lot of live music performances, so softer sound stage details will be important. Can't dial back on the volume.

Sep 21, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #12,639 of 15,990
https://x.com/haranbanjou6914/status/1676435059962974208?s=20

F0PkxreakAIkV1l

F5eXkwCasAADBg6

Sep 21, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #12,642 of 15,990
Finally , now this makes it so forgotten pins and or de bloating too far can reset.

Power off

From off, hold power and volume down until Sony logo appears for 2 seconds then release

Wait until the dead droid appear

Hold power and only tap Once volume up
Hi , Can you remove or reset the PIN after factory reset in recovery mode? I have do that, but it also ask me the PIN after it ask me to get the wifi password in normal setup. My AM2 is second hand, the origial ower don't reply my mail. :slight_frown:

Sep 21, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #12,643 of 15,990
Hi , Can you remove or reset the PIN after factory reset in recovery mode? I have do that, but it also ask me the PIN after it ask me to get the wifi password in normal setup. My AM2 is second hand, the original ower don't reply my mail. :slight_frown:

As far as I understand, this kind of info is stored in a partition named FRP (Factory Reset Protection). By achieving root, or by managing to unlock the bootloader and build your own recovery from source, you could be able to reset that partition, but otherwise you can't remove this protection.

Maybe it's a third hand device, and this could be why the seller sold it.

Sep 21, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #12,644 of 15,990
Hi , Can you remove or reset the PIN after factory reset in recovery mode? I have do that, but it also ask me the PIN after it ask me to get the wifi password in normal setup. My AM2 is second hand, the origial ower don't reply my mail. :slight_frown:
Give it a try ? I encountered a very rare instant where the Walkman wouldn’t wake up, but does have LED charger indicator when plugged in, however, it wouldn’t draw current to charge aka 0.1mW being consumed.

It was practically deader than Dead. Even leaving it plugged in over 24 hours didn’t do anything. Even so, it could still be resurrected

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #12,645 of 15,990
This is from an interview done in 2014 with the Sony ZX-1 Walkman Designers, as you can read from the translated text, especially the parts in bold is that the S-Master HX amp does amplifies it's own power supply noise. The microsd card is obviously connected and powered by the Walkman's battery. Can this connection influence the sound? Your guess is as good as mine.

https://www.sony.jp/msc/enjoy/products/feature/20140501/
it would, the one main improvement from M2 Vs M1 is in the PSU

Users who are viewing this thread

Back