SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jun 8, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #11,506 of 15,994
I'm a big fan of the Sony ier-z1r but only because they fit me very well. Sennheiser ie600 are excellent comfort whole still sounding great. I have both and personally use the Sony 95% of the time
so if you recommend the ie600 to listen to rock and metal, I have the wm1a and wm1am2 daps

Jun 8, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #11,507 of 15,994
so if you recommend the ie600 to listen to rock and metal, I have the wm1a and wm1am2 daps
I think the IE600 are a great set for pretty much all genres of music, especially if you pair it with a good after market cable like the Effect Audio Eros S. The 64 Audio U4s is also a great option and it happens to my in ear monitor of choice for daily use at the moment.

The IER-Z1R is some what of a polarizing product. Anyone who owns them or have tried them would all agree that they are bass monsters. But when it comes to comfort the consensus tends to be that they are rather heavy and gets very uncomfortable quickly if you’re wearing them for an extended period of time. From my own personal experience this is true when it comes to comfort.

Jun 8, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #11,508 of 15,994
I think the IE600 are a great set for pretty much all genres of music, especially if you pair it with a good after market cable like the Effect Audio Eros S. The 64 Audio U4s is also a great option and it happens to my in ear monitor of choice for daily use at the moment.

The IER-Z1R is some what of a polarizing product. Anyone who owns them or have tried them would all agree that they are bass monsters. But when it comes to comfort the consensus tends to be that they are rather heavy and gets very uncomfortable quickly if you’re wearing them for an extended period of time. From my own personal experience this is true when it comes to comfort.
Thanks for the information, let me see which one I decide to accompany my daps with a new hearing aid.

Jun 8, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #11,509 of 15,994
Thanks for the information, let me see which one I decide to accompany my daps with a new hearing aid.

You have to try the Z1Rs as they are a gamble. I think on sound alone most people and reviewers appreciate them but the comfort can be a huge hit or miss. for me they are extremely comfortable and I listen to them for a pretty long time with the biggest limitation being pressure build up related issues more so than the size of the IEMs. in contrast the monarch mk II are much less tolerable to my ears. they also EQ very well in my opinion.

that being said for me to get them to be comfortable I have to use the Sedna Xelastec ear tips or the spinfit W2 ear tips and less rigid cables (Dunu Duw-02).

Jun 8, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #11,510 of 15,994
But when it comes to comfort the consensus tends to be that they are rather heavy and gets very uncomfortable quickly if you’re wearing them for an extended period of time.
I agree to completely disagree with this unfairly generalising statement.
I was sitting on the fence for quite a long time if I should buy a pair of IER-Z1R or not. I was scared by similar posts here stating that this IEM is too big and too heavy. Based on the photos it also looked like this.

In the end I was even ready to buy it blind. Fortunately I found a IER-Z1R owner in a neighbour country before who made it possible for me to audition it.
When I saw them live, they did not appear too big anymore at all.

So I bought it afterwards. A process of finding the right way of positioning them in the ear and of the right tip size began then. During this time my ears were getting accustomed to the IEM shell.
However, even in the very beginning I did not have any troubles wearing them. No pain, no hot spots, no soars. And I am not any big ear guy really.

The truth is on the other side that I have been using them from the very beginning with the silicone sleeves I bought on Aliexpress to protect my IEMs from scratches. So this might have done the trick as a side effect. Who knows?

I could read in this thread that quite many posters bought IER-Z1R repeatedly. At least one of them has done it even three times. This is a bold statement per se.

Based on my approx. 9 months of daily using my IER-Z1 during commuting I can only recommend auditioning (if possible) and buying them.
Their marvelous sound has been described here many times before.

As far as their fit is concerned, big part of their owners' ears can get accustomed to them and they can learn how to position them in the ear.
This IEM simply needs a little bit of user's patience.

One more thing to add: I have been using them with SONY EP-EX10A ear tips all the time, since a couple of months in M size.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #11,511 of 15,994
I agree to completely disagree with this unfairly generalising statement.
I was sitting on the fence for quite a long time if I should buy a pair of IER-Z1R or not. I was scared by similar posts here stating that this IEM is too big and too heavy. Based on the photos it also looked like this.

In the end I was even ready to buy it blind. Fortunately I found a IER-Z1R owner in a neighbour country before who made it possible for me to audition it.
When I saw them live, they did not appear too big anymore at all.

So I bought it afterwards. A process of finding the right way of positioning them in the ear and of the right tip size began then. During this time my ears were getting accustomed to the IEM shell.
However, even in the very beginning I did not have any troubles wearing them. No pain, no hot spots, no soars. And I am not any big ear guy really.

The truth is on the other side that I have been using them from the very beginning with the silicone sleeves I bought on Aliexpress to protect my IEMs from scratches. So this might have done the trick as a side effect. Who knows?

I could read in this thread that quite many posters bought IER-Z1R repeatedly. At least one of them has done it even three times. This is a bold statement per se.

Based on my approx. 9 months of daily using my IER-Z1 during commuting I can only recommend auditioning (if possible) and buying them.
Their marvelous sound has been described here many times before.

As far as their fit is concerned, big part of their owners' ears can get accustomed to them and they can learn how to position them in the ear.
This IEM simply needs a little bit of user's patience.

One more thing to add: I have been using them with SONY EP-EX10A ear tips all the time, since a couple of months in M size.
Appreciate your insight. As I said in my previous post. The design and fit aspect of the IER-Z1R is what makes this product so polarizing. No one is questioning the sonic capabilities and I for one think they are a great sounding pair of IEMs. However, when it comes to fit and comfort my own experience is that they are heavy and uncomfortable, and many users have also said the same thing. I am glad to hear that you are a part of the group that fit and comfort is not an issue, and that’s why I said this IEM is polarizing, some have strong positive response about the fit, and some have strong negative feelings about it.

Frankly speaking if I am spending that much money on a set of IEMs the fit and comfort should be last thing I need to worry about. At that price range I shouldn’t have to spend extra time to get accustomed to the size & fit, and learn how to position them.

Jun 9, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #11,512 of 15,994
A while back, I made suggestions that the all in one (integrated battery/high end DAC and amp) headphones, would make stand alone DAP's obsolete. I was wrong, a perfect example is the recently released AT-WB2022. It's getting very little traction, with DAPs still going strong.. Looks like I'll need to pick up one of these eventually. 👍

Jun 9, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #11,513 of 15,994
Well having had a 1AM2 & 1ZM2, Sony's very own low end A307 is much snappier in operation so the ZX707 will be too.

Try using Amazon Music app with it streaming, or UAPP.

For just using Walkman app its fine.
You sold the « best » ones to keep the low end ? Can you explain?

Jun 9, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #11,515 of 15,994
Anyone know how to fix side button unresponsiveness? They stopped working after I uploaded some music to memory storage!
You may have moved the hold switch on the left hand side?

Jun 9, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #11,516 of 15,994
Wanted more portable, lighter DAP and sound difference not significant to my ears.

Wasn't using AM2 to warrant keeping.

Plus, slow for other music apps while A307 is OK (different CPU)

'Best' is an exagerated concept on these forums IMO.

Jun 9, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #11,517 of 15,994
I have three AM2 and the a306 and I can see why you would just keep the smaller options. the a306 sounds as good for things they both are able to power. I keep the AM2 because I use it with full size headphones.

Also the a306 is quicker and gets better battery life though this is not a fair comparison because I'm using IEMs with the a306

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #11,518 of 15,994
I have three AM2 and the a306 and I can see why you would just keep the smaller options. the a306 sounds as good for things they both are able to power. I keep the AM2 because I use it with full size headphones.

Also the a306 is quicker and gets better battery life though this is not a fair comparison because I'm using IEMs with the a306
I just stick with the A307 now & have a BTR7 if I needed to power something more demanding (which I don't) .

I only use low power IEM's.

I'd say the real word battery life of the AM2 & A300 series are similar but then the AM2 does have a battery twice as large. Both have great battery life.

Jun 9, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #11,520 of 15,994
You have to try the Z1Rs as they are a gamble. I think on sound alone most people and reviewers appreciate them but the comfort can be a huge hit or miss. for me they are extremely comfortable and I listen to them for a pretty long time with the biggest limitation being pressure build up related issues more so than the size of the IEMs. in contrast the monarch mk II are much less tolerable to my ears. they also EQ very well in my opinion.

that being said for me to get them to be comfortable I have to use the Sedna Xelastec ear tips or the spinfit W2 ear tips and less rigid cables (Dunu Duw-02).
For me it is very difficult to get this model in my country Mexico, I am looking for a way to buy through Amazon Japan, but I am still undecided if an over or an inear, I like the z7m2, but I also like the ierm7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back