SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 15, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #10,772 of 15,612
IER-Z1R + 1ZM2 + aftermarket cable. Actually cable is optional. The stock cable is no slouch.
I upgraded the cable to Brise Audio Asuha-LE. It took away some of the sparkling nature of the stock cable in exchange for more resolution and textures, still burning-in to let the cable settle down. Not recommending this upgrade to all though, the sparkling nature of the stock cable is a unique trait, without it is like something missing. U have to be a copper lover to do this upgrade.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #10,775 of 15,612
I upgraded the cable to Brise Audio Asuha-LE. It took away some of the sparkling nature of the stock cable in exchange for more resolution and textures, still burning-in to let the cable settle down. Not recommending this upgrade to all though, the sparkling nature of the stock cable is a unique trait, without it is like something missing. U have to be a copper lover to do this upgrade.
I have the STR7 and UPG001... definitely bass improves with Brise Audio. also have the BSEP for Z1R on order. Brise Audio is a good combo but not for everyone.

Mar 15, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #10,780 of 15,612
Just got my WM1AM2. Is there a good equaliser app for Tidal listening? The built-in 10 band EQ doesn’t let me change the numbers e.g. 31, 171 etc

Mar 15, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #10,781 of 15,612
Just got my WM1AM2. Is there a good equaliser app for Tidal listening? The built-in 10 band EQ doesn’t let me change the numbers e.g. 31, 171 etc
The builtin EQ is an Standard 10-band EQ. Sony doesn't offer anything else as they recommend to use Direct for highest sound quality.

The 10-band EQ is not the best, i have to admit that. But is i never use it, i don't really care that much.

But there are 3rd Party Android Apps you can install, yes. I think there is a famous one calld Wavelet but most of these Apps need Root Access for whatever reason i don't know because im no Android expert. And there is no proper way to gain root access on the Walkman Android

Mar 15, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #10,782 of 15,612
Thanks @Vamp898. I’ll use the direct mode then.

Early impressions are that I cannot tell a single difference between the sound of the WM1AM2 wired to the Monarch MKII vs the BTR7 in bluetooth mode with the same IEMs. But I’ve only been listening for about 20 minutes.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #10,783 of 15,612

Early impressions with my Monarch MKII are that I cannot tell a single difference between the sound of this and the BTR7 in bluetooth mode. But I’ve only been listening for about 20 minutes.
The default of the bluetooth playback quality is connection prefered, try changing to quality preferred if ur at home. Try the Sound adjustment DSEE ultimate, it works thru bluetooth too. :D

Btw, u need to disconnect the bluetooth for the change of preference to take effect.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #10,784 of 15,612

Early impressions with my Monarch MKII are that I cannot tell a single difference between the sound of this and the BTR7 in bluetooth mode. But I’ve only been listening for about 20 minutes.
I can totally understand that. I had the same issue with the Moondrop S8 and if you compare the graphs
graph (7).png

The Monarch Mk2 and the Moondrop S8 are both All-BA (EDIT: the Monarch is not an All-BA Set, don't know why i wrote that, forget that :D it has no relevance anyway) sets with recessed lower mids and pushed upper mids/lower treble. That is meant to create an pleasing and fun sound and also sound kinda neutral/flat at the same time and reveal a lot of details. So it tries to be an best of all worlds but this does have negative side effects.

The biggest difference between the Waklman and for example the BTR7 (or M11 Plus ESS which sounds almost the same) is the realism of for example percussion instruments or the high speed.

But with recessed lower mids and pushed upper mids/lower treble, you pretty much kill that advantage.

With the IER-M9 for example, there is an pretty big difference between the Walkman and the BTR7, especially with acoustic instruments, and if you compare the graphs, you can see why

graph (8).png

But most Audiophiles love recessed lower mids and pushed upper mids/lower treble as it makes everything sound extremely clear and detailed. Its the same with modern TVs that all have an blue tint because an natural/real white (which is just normal, perfect white) is percieved as "warm" which makes colors less pop and gives an kinda oldish look.

And its the same with Earphones and Headphones. This "colder" more detailed sound feels more modern to a lot of peopls, but at the same time, you loose a lot of informations that are essential to notice the difference between such two DAPs.

Or to use a different meatpher: If you put enough ketchup and mustard on an sausage, you no longer notice how good the meat quality is.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #10,785 of 15,612
The default of the bluetooth playback quality is connection prefered, try changing to quality preferred if ur at home. Try the Sound adjustment DSEE ultimate, it works thru bluetooth too. :D

Btw, u need to disconnect the bluetooth for the change of preference to take effect.
Sorry, I’ve corrected my post above but I mean the WM1AM2 wired with the Monarch MKII sounds the exact same as the FiiO BTR7 with the same IEMs in bluetooth mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back