SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Jan 17, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #9,572 of 15,815
In audio-video systems, even relatively small levels of interference can have a noticeable impact on the performance of the final product. In audio capture and playback, for instance, performance depends on the quality of the audio codec being used, the power supply noise, the PCB layout, and the amount of crosstalk between the neighboring circuitry. Also, the stability of the sampling clock needs to be very good to prevent unwanted sounds such pops and clicks during playback and capture.

https://www.eetimes.com/avoiding-noise-and-emi-problems-in-dsp-systems-3/

Jan 17, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #9,573 of 15,815
@Whitigir thanks for the grounding explanations - I’ve canceled my order for the ground adapter for the balanced port and will use the $200 elsewhere

Jan 17, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #9,574 of 15,815
@Whitigir thanks for the grounding explanations - I’ve canceled my order for the ground adapter for the balanced port and will use the $200 elsewhere
I would recommend to spend your money on getting a bottle of deoxit gold if you don’t have one. Use it to clean the electrical contacts like your headphone jacks, headphone plugs, microSD contacts, usb ports and usb cables contacts. It can help improve sound quality(improved electrical conductivity) for contacts that have been affected by oxidation.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #9,575 of 15,815
@Whitigir
One good “side effect” of the new 1.04.01 firmware (with hi-res streaming mode on) for me is now I don’t skip songs as much and I tend to listen to albums entirely as I find myself interested in hearing how the spatial sound effect works for that track. Sometimes the spatial sound processing will place the instruments in unexpected positions and present reverberations/panning in a more complex manner in the head space that really makes music feels so much more multidimensionally(time,space,positioning) complex and immersive. It doesn’t happen to all music but it seems to be present with well mastered music. The previous 1.03 also does this but the new firmware seems to be able to make these objects more prominent and even more realistic/immersive by not being “poped out” but more gradually appearing out.

The above is talking about the playback of regular stereo 2 channel pcm music offline files on Walkman music app.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #9,576 of 15,815
SD card arrived, formatted and then went through and updated all my streaming app to store in the SD. One last thing to find now a case, not sure about the official Sony one, plus I can't get them in the UK. Looks like I can import one from Japan. So looking for other options.

Jan 18, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #9,577 of 15,815
@Whitigir
One good “side effect” of the new 1.04.01 firmware (with hi-res streaming mode on) for me is now I don’t skip songs as much and I tend to listen to albums entirely as I find myself interested in hearing how the spatial sound effect works for that track. Sometimes the spatial sound processing will place the instruments in unexpected positions and present reverberations/panning in a more complex manner in the head space that really makes music feels so much more multidimensionally(time,space,positioning) complex and immersive. It doesn’t happen to all music but it seems to be present with well mastered music. The previous 1.03 also does this but the new firmware seems to be able to make these objects more prominent and even more realistic/immersive by not being “poped out” but more gradually appearing out.

The above is talking about the playback of regular stereo 2 channel pcm music offline files on Walkman music app.
It is even better if it is a live performance...

Jan 18, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #9,578 of 15,815
SD card arrived, formatted and then went through and updated all my streaming app to store in the SD. One last thing to find now a case, not sure about the official Sony one, plus I can't get them in the UK. Looks like I can import one from Japan. So looking for other options.
You can get Miter on Amazon although the TPU ones from AliExpress are also really good IMO.

Jan 18, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #9,579 of 15,815
Why did the 1ZM2 get shown the door?
Too expensive for the slight change vs the 1AM2 (to my ears) and heavy, plus it was an EU volume crippled one. Tried EU 1AM2 & 1ZM2 before returning and looking to import. Preferred sound out of the 1AM2 with my IEM's.

I imported a 1AM2 from Amazon Japan instead of a 1ZM2 and no regrets.

I'm not a "money no object" kind of guy, need to feel something is value for money and for me the 1ZM2 isn't compared to its 1AM2 brother.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #9,581 of 15,815
Too expensive for the slight change vs the 1AM2 (to my ears) and heavy, plus it was an EU volume crippled one. Tried EU 1AM2 & 1ZM2 before returning and looking to import. Preferred sound out of the 1AM2 with my IEM's.

I'm not a "money

I'm not a "money no object" kind of guy, need to feel something is value for money and for me the 1ZM2 isn't compared to its 1AM2 brother.

thanks for the info. Did you ever hear the WM1Z or 1A to compare the changes. There is real chasing of the 'ghost share' in upgrading at this level IMO

Jan 18, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #9,582 of 15,815
I never had the original (need Android for streaming), I moved up from a Japanese import ZX507

As others covered in thread, Z is a bit smoother, cosy while A more clarity/dynamic. To my hearing, little difference while some other members think they are significantly different. Have to listen for yourself in all these things.

Some can even supposedly hear difference in mSD cards! Tried myself & can't so luckily I don't have Superman hearing.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #9,583 of 15,815
It is even better if it is a live performance...
Yup, all the instruments are individually placed, super atmospheric flowing sound that envelopes all around you from originating from top, side and back, that is super organic sounding too.

Jan 18, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #9,584 of 15,815
If you find yourself using phones out as Line out, use balanced box with transformers inside rather than a grounding adapter instead :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back